• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Appointment from Enlisted Ranks

Cleonard19

Contributor
If you manage to find your way to the Academy from the enlisted ranks, are you bound to the branch that you were selected from or could you (hypothetically) come from the Navy's enlisted ranks and end up as an officer in the Marine Corps (if that was of course, your desire)?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yes... although why you would want to do that is beyond me. :D

In fact, it is possible, though rare, that you could go Army or Air Force from USNA.

Rubiks06

pilot
It works the other way too. I had two classmates that were enlisted marines and one went Nuke by his own choice and the other went SWO...not so much by his own choice.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I knew a couple who went to the USAFA. They both commissioned Navy and became helo pilots. Also knew a dude that went to West Point and commissioned Navy. He flew Hornets, although I don't know if he's still in.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
At one point we had 3 Harrier pilots in MAG-13 who were USAFA grads.

I also know a Hornet WSO, USAFA grad, who interservice transferred back to the air force, then came back to the Marine Corps 3 years later. Kind of a service "multiple personality" guy.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
So to answer the original question again.... Yes, you can select anything they have available from the Academy, regardless of what you did before.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
So to answer the original question again.... Yes, you can select anything they have available from the Academy, regardless of what you did before.

With one possible selection exception... Historically, it has been tough to go from enlisted submariner to officer submariner. I am not sure what the current climate is these days, but I also know that I don't know any prior sub E's gone sub O's. (puns intended)

Cleonard19

Contributor
I was just kinda thinking that IF I manage to get myself selected to Canoe U (yes, I know the odds and how hard it is, but keeping positive has been historically better for me than letting myself get tripped up in the numbers), and if aviation isn't an option, I'd really like to pursue being an infantry officer. My grandfather was infantry (army) In WWII, and he always told me stories about the war and told me that while nobody wanted to go to war or be infantry, there was a sense of pride and accomplishment that goes with being infantry and the more and more that I delve into the military world through literature and talking to people in the military, the more I want to go infantry in the Corps (almost as much as I want to fly). Call me crazy, but thats the way it is.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I was just kinda thinking that IF I manage to get myself selected to Canoe U (yes, I know the odds and how hard it is, but keeping positive has been historically better for me than letting myself get tripped up in the numbers), and if aviation isn't an option, I'd really like to pursue being an infantry officer. My grandfather was infantry (army) In WWII, and he always told me stories about the war and told me that while nobody wanted to go to war or be infantry, there was a sense of pride and accomplishment that goes with being infantry and the more and more that I delve into the military world through literature and talking to people in the military, the more I want to go infantry in the Corps (almost as much as I want to fly). Call me crazy, but thats the way it is.

Crazy

Ha ha, but seriously..... set your goals, work hard, and with a little luck and good timing you can reach them. Good luck!

Cleonard19

Contributor
I would edit, but someone already quoted me, so I won't. But the reason why I think Aviation MIGHT not be an option is that I have chronic sinus problems. I'm always either congested (severely) or have a sinus infection that causes pretty bad migraines.

Cleonard19

Contributor
Crazy

Ha ha, but seriously..... set your goals, work hard, and with a little luck and good timing you can reach them. Good luck!

Thanks :) I figure set the bar astronomically high and even if I fall a little short, I'm still eons ahead of the rest of the pack.

m3urthy

Why don't you have a seat right over there.
My cousin is USAFA and planning on commissioning into the Marines.