• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying to acadmies

Status
Not open for further replies.

twofme28

I was wondering, how do you go about applying to more than one academy? Obviously, the applications are simple, you just fill out one for each. But how do you get nominations for different academies? I already have the application for USNA which is my first choice but I also want to apply to USAFA. How do I get nominations to get into both academies? Also, I attended NASS so I automatically received that application. I was not able to attend USAFA's summer seminar so I did not get the application. I already filled out the pre-candidate questionaire(for USAFA)...does that mean that they will send me an application? Any answers would be appreciated, thanks a lot!

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
To apply to USAFA unfortunately you're gonna have to fill out their entire application in addition to USNA's. The only thing you can use for both the Academies is your PAE (I think you can fax or mail a copy of your navy PAE to air force). As far as nominations go, most congressional nomination applications will ask you to list or check off which Academies you are pursuing a nomination for.

I don't know if policies change or what not, so don't take my word for it. You might wanna verify all this stuff by calling up the admissions offices or congressmen's offices directly.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
the best bet to get 2 nominations is to apply to both your senator and congressman, putting #1 USNA for one person and #1 AFA for the other.

if they really like you they will give more than one nom.
they will have you list your choices 1,2,3,4,5 usually.

If you're 'competitive' (whatever that means), then USAFA will mail you a packet. I imagine if you have certain SATs, GPA, etc., then they mail you a packet.

Everyone summed everything up, so I'll give you my personal story.

I made it clear to my congressman that I wanted to fly and he nominated me for both USAFA and USNA. This is just my .02, but if I were you, then I'd tell my congressman what I want to do in the military (ground-pounder, pilot, lawyer, etc) and let them make their decisions accordingly. Just tell them you went to USNA's SS, but not USAFA's, so you're leaning toward USNA, but you'd gladly go to USAFA.

I think they want people who aspire for a certain MOS, rather than people who don't know what they want from the military or who don't have specific goals after the academy. That was my .00002 cents, but it worked for me.

Also, get started on your letters of recommendation ASAP. And if someone doesn't complet an LOR in a couple days, start looking for an alternate. I found that everyone I asked to do an LOR was done by the end of the day. Someone forgot to write an LOR for me, so I missed one of my congressman's deadlines. I thought 'gee, it takes a lot of time to write an LOR, so I'll ask the minimum amount of people to do it.' Don't do that. Be selfish, get a bunch of LORs and choose the best three.

Good luck,

-Ace

natashadoe

first i'd just like to say that applying to the academies is far from simple, you're in for a long app. process.

on the senator/congressmand apps for a nomination, it asks if you'd like to be considered for another academy, or it will say to check off which ones you want to go to and you can put more than one, at least that's how it was with mine. if not, call your BGO, he/she should know.

good luck with the app, and a piece of advice--start the medical crap as soon as possible.

twofme28

Thanks for all the help. So far, the nomination application I have for one of my senators says I can only mark one academy. It clearly states that in BOLD letters "select one and only one". I have yet to receive the second senator application so I don't know about that one. My congresswoman application does not ask at all...so I think I just have to call to ask about all this. As for the DODMERB, I haven't been contacted about my appointment but it hasn't been 30 days yet since I received my application packet. On the letter it says I should be contacted in 30 days and if not, I should call to schedule. Since you all are saying to get it done ASAP, should I just call now instead of waiting or should I wait the full 30 days before calling?

H20man

Drill baby drill!
another thing is where are you located..... the academies usually like to have a nice spread of students from different states. big states like Cali, Tx, New York... from my experience applying for the USMMA are big suppliers to the academy, but states like North Dakota and states like those they really like students from there. but location is not always a guarentee helper.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
You can wait the 30 days to call about the DODMERB physical, but from personal experience I would highly reccommend getting it done over the summer rather than waiting until the fall when you're back in school. Just easier that way, plus if, like with me, they forget to schedule part of it, there's plently of time for you to go back if necessary. Good Luck.

usunkmybship

I got the medical paperwork very late September and scheduled my eye exam within two weeks. The medical exam didn't need an appointment, just walk in. Everything was done by mid October. I really didn't have much of a hassle, just finding how to get to those places and they were over an hour away:/

twofme28

I think you can do it yourself, just have your teachers put it into one of the envelopes enclosed in your application packet and give it to you.

usnafury

Is DODMERB allowed access to your medical records? Are you required to tell them about medicines you have taken in the past if you're off of them now?

flynhi

Yes, you are required to let DoDMERB in on everything. Just got my packet in the mail yesterday but I don't think I need another medical exam because it's good for 2 years and I qualified last year.

Ace, it's tough to choose the best 3 LORs since they all have to put in sealed, signed envelopes. At least that's what my senators and congressman require. Is your candidate page still showing up from last year? Mine is and so is the new one with my new candidate #. What's up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.