• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying sna..help!!

rn87

Alright I got a bunch of documents a few weeks ago and now that I am done with the ASTB I can get to it. A quick question for anybody that can answer. I have a form for requesting a letter of recommendation and need to know am I supposed to e-mail the form to the people I am requesting them from or do I print it out and have them fill them in, etc. I have e-mailed my recruiter and I know he is busy but want to make the weekends productive in getting my package done so if anybody could help me out I would appreciate it. Or if there is a thread regarding this same thing that anyone knows about that would be helpful too. Thanks

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Does the form say "character evaluation form" on it? If it does, it should be mailed, e-mailed, faxed, or whatever as long as they get it (both sides of it), actually now that I think about it my recruiter sent that to the people I had in mind. I don't remember a specific form for requesting an actual letter of recommendation, I just ask the people to write me one. Maybe it is an interview request form?

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
If the form you're talking about is the DD 370 Request for Reference form, then as NAVYBM2 said, it doesn't matter how it is sent in as long as it's signed. I had to give that to most of my references and some faxed it to my processor, and others scanned and emailed it. Again, as long as it's signed.

rn87

No its some sort of specific request form. on the top it says request for reference. Its called DD form 370 if you want to take a look at it just type that in in google it should come up its a pdf file. Thanks

Oh just got your post after I posted mine but yes that is the form thanks a ton.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Yes, that is the one DD-370! You should check with your recruiter before you send anything out. When I was going through my package he made sure that I did not send these out. I think they have to do it for you. In my case he asked for their addresses and he personally sent them. It could be different for you though!!!

rn87

Oh ok I'm glad you said that because I want to get this process going as I'm sure you guys can relate so I was going to start sending some e-mails.. Hopefully my recruiter will get back to me though

NAVYBM2

Contributor
Oh ok I'm glad you said that because I want to get this process going as I'm sure you guys can relate so I was going to start sending some e-mails.. Hopefully my recruiter will get back to me though
A word of advise before you jump into this. Make sure you have a copy of every filled-in form before you give it to your recruiter. Remember, that you are not the only one that he is dealing with so it is imperative that you police your own paperwork. Double, heck even triple check everything before you submit it. Sometimes it will feel like you are self recruiting, just suck it up and keep moving because this process takes a long time, as you may already know.

Good Luck!!!

McBuff

Sees the light
When I went through the process, the DD370 was only used for references from employers and these were sent by a stash at the recruiting office. My personal references wrote letters and mailed them to me and my recruiter. Even if that has changed, I'd recommend you ask your references to type out an actual LOR and attach it to the DD370 if necessary. A letter makes it look like your reference actually wants you to succeed, versus a hand written paragraph from someone who felt bad saying no.

Oh and word to BM2s advice about keeping copies. Be prepared to hand deliver multiples of everything you need.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
I was the same way, the DD 370 was used only for employer references and I had some professors and such write actual LORs. They were supposed to send them to all of my past/current employers but when I went to the office to sign all the paperwork a few days before the March board deadline, none of them had even been sent out, so I had to scramble at the last minute to get the form to all of my references. I was emailed the form in a pdf and they I did it myself, which may not be the way it's intended to work, but I was able to get my package submitted for March. Good luck to you rn87.

rn87

Thanks guys for your help you seem to know your stuff pretty good. I'm hoping that now that my ASTB is done my recruiter will take a little bit more priority into this as well. I'm sure I will be asking more questions as the process goes on but one I can think of now is that I really don't have any clue as to when to submit a package and what dates they take them and what OCS dates are. I know everybody has their own things going on and I don't expect my million questions through the process to be answered by other people just lending a helpful hand so is there any sites that maybe contain information as to important dates? Thanks again to anyone that's answered my questions its much appreciated.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
My recruiter told me that if you want to be looked at in a certain month your paper work should be in by the 25th of the previous month. As far as I understand the boards USUALLY take place around the 15th of each month. I say usually because they have not had a regular board since January.