• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Applying for NFO, terminated from employment last year.

Gianna

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know how to go about my termination last year. I was employed for about 2 years and I was terminated for getting into a verbal altercation with a coworker. I respectfully apologized, was terminated and left in peace. There were just so many shady characters there, but I understand it still does not make it right. This was June or July or 2012.

I have since then, matured and received another job that fits me well.

Of course, honesty is the best policy but how to I go about mentioning this? I am very confident about everything else my GPA is good and I am a private pilot etc.
This just seems to be really haunting me. How do you recommend I handle this?

Thank you :)

Renegade One

None
How do you recommend I handle this?
If the question comes up…handle it honestly.

If it never comes up…don't bring it up.

Just my $.02.

But "riddle me this, BatGirl": Why do you want to be a Naval Officer and an NFO? There is absolutely ZERO information on your profile page that would allow me to offer anything else, except that you're a 22-year old female with an OK GPA and a PPL who lives somewhere east of metro L.A. Not much to go on.

Last edited:

Gianna

I apprieate your time and $.02.!

I've always known that I wanted a career that was challenging, both physically and mentally. I majored in Criminal Justice since it would allow me to easily find a physically demanding job, but nothing had my heart.
I've been flying since I was 16 and I know my heart belong with aviation, whether it be in planes or around them.
Everything about aviation excites me.

Bottom line, I want to be proud of what I do and I want to love what I do. I hope to get the opportunity to be around planes if selected. If not, I know the Navy will still open a lot of doors since I hope to work for companies such as Boeing or General Atomics in the far future. For now, I'll just try my best and see where this goes. I love change and I love a challenge.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of course, honesty is the best policy but how to I go about mentioning this?
In the application process, and in the military... honesty is not only the best policy, it's the ONLY accepted policy!:)

If asked about the reason for the change in jobs, just explain what happened. Squabbles between co-workers are commonplace. If there was no physical altercation, assault, or arrest involved... probably no biggie. Not like being caught doping, or being intoxicated at work.
This just seems to be really haunting me. How do you recommend I handle this?
Allowing yourself to be 'haunted" over that one job incident is going to waste valuable time worrying, time better used for preparing yourself studying for testing (OAR +ASTB if selecting SNA/SNFO), plus planning/working an appropriate PT regimen to be in top shape for OCS.

In addition, at this point you are planning too far ahead, such as the Navy preparing you for a career in the Aerospace Industry after you get out, when you haven't yet "gotten in" or even tested & submitted your application package yet. To sorta' paraphrase our late CoC, "Ask not what the Navy can do for you; but what do you have to offer the Navy"?;)
BzB

exNavyOffRec

your issue will not be with the application process on the USN side of things, it will more likely be an issue on the MEPS side of the process as termination often gets you a psych eval when it involves an altercation.

Renegade One

None
your issue will not be with the application process on the USN side of things, it will more likely be an issue on the MEPS side of the process as termination often gets you a psych eval when it involves an altercation.
NOR: To be fair to the OP (and really for my own info as well…), it's common for recent college grads to go through a number of "early career" jobs and move on to something else, for various reasons. Is everyone asked the "why did you leave that job" question?

Serious question.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
NOR: To be fair to the OP (and really for my own info as well…), it's common for recent college grads to go through a number of "early career" jobs and move on to something else, for various reasons. Is everyone asked the "why did you leave that job" question?

Serious question.
It's asked on the SF-86 when you're trying to get clearance, as part of the full job history. I imagine it usually doesn't go any further than that, unless you put something out-of-the-ordinary on it, e.g. I was let go because of a fight with a coworker.

exNavyOffRec

Serious question.

It is a question on the supplemental form at MEPS, it ask how many tickets, ever suspended from school, ever fired from a job and a few other things.

It isn't so much the number of jobs but the circumstances under which a person leaves.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was employed for about 2 years and I was terminated for getting into a verbal altercation with a coworker. I respectfully apologized, was terminated and left in peace.
Verbal altercation..... no physical contact, yea?
BzB