• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Application question

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceMan

Hi everybody,

I was wondering when the best time to apply for an SNA slot is. It seems like timing has screwed alot of great candidates on this board.

Regards,

Joe

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
If you get turned down, reapply. It is hard to know when it the "right" time to submit. Be persistent.

Dave

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Joe,
This may sound a little trite, but you should apply when you have your best possible application package. Score as high as possible on the ASTB, perform as well as possible in the PRT, etc... I did pretty well on my ASTB but I asked my recruiter to let me take it again so that I could do better (he didn't let me). If this is something you really want, go the extra mile in every way possible and make your own luck.

You were probably wondering what time of the year is the best to apply. Most people would agree that there are more competitive and less competitive times to apply, but I don't think that it's the same few months each year. There are a lot of factors which determine how and when the slots open up. Hope that answered your question. Best of luck to you,
-Greg

IceMan

Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to get my ass down to the officer recruiting office and get things sorted out there. I was just trying to figure out what was meant by some posts I read concerning the "fiscal year" and the navy's need for SNA. From what I understood, they set a goal of what they need and then after they meet the goal even the most qualified app's are turned down. So to make my question more specific, when should you start your app so that they receive it at the beginning of the fiscal year?

thanks again,

Joe

mikedjp

dude, the best thing to do is get your application started ASAP. It takes a long time, depending on your background the time fram varies. if you were to start now, and submit at a time when there aren't any slots and are denied, then you can resubmit easily when more slots open up because you have done all the work already. if you start now and something comes up that will slow you down, like a poor score on the ASTB for example, you will be glad you didn't wait to try to time it for the beginning of the fiscal year.

i started my app in August of last year. It is just now at the board for a variety of reasons. I took a long "break" in the middle, but there were tons of time consuming issues out of my control too.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
What is a fiscal year in the Military?

- Quote on being selected for an OCS spot -
"If you are chosen, you will have been chosen by Men 'who have been there and done that' and have decided that they wished to have you in Their company, there is no such medal worth as much."

Status
Not open for further replies.