• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Application Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodman

I am currently a college senior and am interested in what else, but a pilot slot with the Marines. I was always intrigued with Marine Corp aviation but living in Phoenix, Arizona, which is Air Force central, I was able to meet an F-16 pilot who swayed me towards his side. In the mean time I have researched the Air Force thoroughly and know exactly what I need to do to get a slot. My question is...what is the application process for an aviation slot in the Marines consist of. I want to know everything that is involved including tests, letters of recommendation, interviews, flight time, GPA, all of it. From reading the posts on this site I was able to piece together some of it but I want to make sure I haven't missed anything. Take me from start to finish. Thanks in advance.

Rainman

pilot
I'd encourage you to call 1-800-Marines and get in touch with an OSO or stop an Officer Selection Office. They will have you fill out a lot of paperwork and make sure you're physically qualified with an initial visit to MEPS. Have you take the ASTB. Have you get letters of recommendation. Run a PFT. Write a 100 word statement. You'll eventually agree that if you get an aviation guarantee that you will stay @ Officer Candidate School for 7 of the 10 weeks (who drops after 7 weeks, I don't know). . .and then assuming you'd have your degree next May, you'd get commissioned after your 10 week OCS course and on your way. Flight time doesn't seem to go in the pkg anywhere for Marines. GPA min is like 2.5. It's really a screening process to make sure you have the potential to be a Marine Officer and then OCS sort of weeds from there. It seems as though the aviation guarantee (a few years ago anyways) was more based on physical attributes and ASTB scores. I know they only do so many per region, but it also seems as though they are limiting ground officers more these days than aviation.
So, then you'll wait for your basic school slot (six months provisional rifle platoon commander course and how to be a beginning officer) and then wait for your API slot.
So that's an overview. I'm sure the candidates that have recently put packages together can shed some more light on current gossip/trends.

USMCMidd

Mountain, You pretty much covered the application process. I just returned from OCS this summer, PLC Jr's. There really isn't much to add except i thinlk the GPA is a 2.0, not 2.5. No big deal though. Any other questions just ask.

Semper Fi

woodman

How do they pick who gets a pilot slot and who doesn't? What makes a person more competitive than others? I know the ASTB scores have a lot to do with it and the physical too, but what else? How many letters of recommendation do the Marines need?

O-man

If you pass the written test, and the Doc's dont find anything wrong with you- you get an air contract. then you dont have to fight for the seat in TBS.
Echo three oscar'

Beaver

The PFT consists of pull-ups, 2 min. timed sit-ups and a 3-mile run. The mins for applying are 10, 80, and 24 min, respectively. The max you can get is 20, 100, and 18 min, also respectively. It sounded a lot worse to me before i started training. It's not too bad if you put the time into it.

Beaver

The Marines are backed-up. They aren't taking any ground officers for quite a while and the SNA and NFO slots are difficult to get into. I haven't heard anything about scores garunteed to get someone in. The Marines look at a lot more than simply test scores, and my OSO said they only look at whether or not you passed the ASTB, not by how much you passed. I believe that passing standards are close to those of the Navy but someone may want to correct me on this. As for the PFT, you need 200 out of 300 to apply but I seriously doubt that you would get accepted with a 200 score.

Tessone

I've basically been told that there's no point in applying if your run isn't below 24 minutes (22-23 is better), you're doing less than 10 pullups, or less than 80 crunches. Also, if your total PFT score is below 225, you're in bad shape. I'm not sending in my package until I'm beating every one of those numbers.

As for numbers, 4/6/6 used to be required on the ATSB, now it's just 4/6/anything I believe. This is for both NFO and NA.

No score will ever get you a commission on its strength alone. Get excellent recommendations from people who have known you a long time, get good grades, and a good SAT score helps. Getting to know your OSO and showing him that you are dedicated will help, too, but I guess that's obvious.

Just FYI, no time-in-cockpit is required.

woodman

This tells it all and it calculates it for you too.

www.semperfi.marines.usna.edu/images/event%20photos/PFT/PFTCalc.html

Vin Diesel is no longer on this site.

Tessone

I don't see anything but Vin Diesel on that page. :)

Anyhow, the official OCS page is at http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/ and the official PFT scoring page is at http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/MPFT.htm for men and http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/FPFT.htm for women. No downloads required. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.