• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Apollo 11

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
At theaters now: Saw yesterday - epic. A collection of high resolution archival film footage - along with illustration and narration stitched together in a wonderful 90 minutes. Great footage of USS Hornet and HS-4 as well.

jmcquate

Contributor
The real time speed, altitude, and fuel states was a wonder touch that added to the suspense of a story that everyone knows the ending.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The real time speed, altitude, and fuel states was a wonder touch that added to the suspense of a story that everyone knows the ending.
The clarity and color of the film was amazing - so many details that I had not known - and I am a space program nerd. My fifth birthday was launch day - I remember it well to this day watching Cronkite on the family 12" black and white television. The colors from the launch footage alone are worth seeing the film for... people carrying around cans of Coca-Cola, smoking, bad clothes, etc.

From a Naval Aviation point of view it was cool to see high res footage of Grumman E-1B and HS-4's SH-3s sporting both the all navy blue and newer grey and white paint schemes.

For the rest of you - go see it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Took the man-cub to see it yesterday. Very impressive, not least because they managed to tell the story of one of the most thoroughly documented events in human history in a new and interesting way.

How they sharpened up 50-year-old footage enough to look good on IMAX, I don’t know. But it really brings those nine days back to life and puts you in the middle of everything. Felt like reliving it instead of just retelling.

All the footage of flight ops on Hornet is definitely a nice bonus for us airplane nerds.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
How they sharpened up 50-year-old footage enough to look good on IMAX, I don’t know. But it really brings those nine days back to life and puts you in the middle of everything. Felt like reliving it instead of just retelling.

Much of the footage was from a NASA documentary that never happened and was captured in 70(-ish)mm, which is why the whole movie looks like it was shot like a '50's sci fi movie. Apparently the director had unrestricted access to all the archived footage. Also of note, the sound track was generated only on equipment that was available in 1969, and no later (so says the press documents).

I haven't seen it, but it looks amazing.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I love that concept.
NASA recorded nearly everything they did. My father did work for NASA (on the design of rocket fuels) and he was given a large record set of recordings from every NASA mission. Called “To the Moon,” it was really cool and I remember listening to it as a kid several times. I wish I still had it - and I think I’ve seen it on eBay or Amazon...but I don’t own a turntable anymore!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Here is a nice image of early “moon” training site selection, Iceland in this case. The ships are Piasecki H-21’s so they must be USAF. I don’t think the Navy ever used them.

jmcquate

Contributor
It's being released in theaters next week. IMAX was only for this week...........at least for A&S here in DC. Oh, and I saw it again on Sunday.