• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Apollo 11 voice track, data and video

Flugelman

Contributor
Was going thru APX-72 school at Moffett while transitioning from P-2 to P-3. Spent that weekend up at Angels Camp with friends.

Alto53

pilot
I was 12, sitting on the edge of our sofa, (in the only room to have a TV in it) watching with my parents, and possibly some of my older siblings (their actual whereabouts during those years are rather fuzzy). Now my 19 yr old proudly acknowledges his birthday is the day we landed on the moon, several eons earlier....

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
In VT-24 flying F-9s at Beeville. Went to spend a few days liberty at my uncle's in San Antonio. My roommate and I were going to go out on the town, but we stayed in, absolutely glued to the TV.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
We were at LTC Boyd's farm just outside Leavenworth, KS sitting on the porch, eating BBQ, hearing the crickets chirp, swatting mosquitoes and watching on a small black & white TV. Every couple of minutes my Dad sent me or my brother to adjust the rabbit ears for a better picture. It was a clear starry night and I remember after the landing, we all left the porch and looked upward toward the stars and moon in pure amazement.

I also remember that just a few hours earlier the Boyd boy, my brother and I had our asses whipped with a riding crop for nearly setting the barn on fire as we tried to roast some frogs with gasoline in a can......

And I remember my foot was also hurting like a son of a bitch, bruised and swollen from a big ass horse stepping on it right after he threw me just before dinner......

Obviously it was a bitter-sweet day.

yak52driver

Contributor
That was a very cool representation of the landing. I don't remember that landing itself, but I remember being a kid sitting in front of a black and white television at home watching Neil Armstrong step down off the ladder onto the moon.

I met Gene Kranz when I worked at JSC, he had quite a presence about him. It was interesting to listen to the old timers talk about the program and what they did to get to Apollo 11. For space station we originally wanted to put about 12 computers on board and the guys who had been around during Apollo would give us this look of disbelief and tell the youngsters how they went to the moon with just 8K of RAM. Very smart guys.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I also remember that just a few hours earlier the Boyd boy, my brother and I had our asses whipped with a riding crop for nearly setting the barn on fire as we tried to roast some frogs with gasoline in a can......
OT
Holy shit! A barn-burner of a frog roast! Wow! Never got to do one of those.

I gotta tell my son I actually know the guy who did.... and also, the unfortunate price he paid!

Renegade One

None
... the Boyd boy, my brother and I had our asses whipped with a riding crop for nearly setting the barn on fire as we tried to roast some frogs with gasoline in a can...
Haters gonna hate, I guess. This sounds exactly like what young boys are supposed to do.

LTC Boyd...is that who I think it might be?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Watched it live as a nugget O-3 in B&W from MOQ 943C at NAS Pax River