• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Swim Quals

Status
Not open for further replies.

onee

1-Is it safe to say that I don't have to worry about the freestyle at all? I can barely hit 25 yards with it, and that's on a good day.
banghead_125.gif

2-When I try to tread water, I end up partially on my back with my head facing upwards. That feels quite relaxing, and I can do it forever, but is it allowed, or do I have to be more vertical than horizontal in the water?
boggled_125.gif

3-Facedown floats, are we allowed to move our legs at all. I'm trying to just lay there, and it just isn't working for me.
shake_125.gif

Sorry guys... to bug you with more swim questions, but this is a big deal for me, as I started swimming only 2 months ago ...
ashamed_125.gif

schmuckatelli

You do have to demonstrate the ability to swim freestyle. I've forgotten the length, though, since I was at API about 3 years ago and swimming is easy for me. For the treading water you will do it with all the flight gear on (including boots) so it is essential you practice a good eggbeater technique. If you can't do eggbeaters use a frog kick. A flutter kick (like what you do when swimming freestyle) is totally useless when you're wearing boots. One good thing is the helmet is pretty buoyant so don't worry about sinking if you stop treading for a couple of seconds. For the face down float you can move around a bit when you raise your head to take a breath but I don't think you are supposed to move in between breaths.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
you cant do the eggbeater kick for the treading....everytime i tried that i was yelled at. and yeah you have to be pretty much in like a bicycle riding pose while you tread with a frog kick. and the float is a dead man float you're supposed to look pretty much dead and you can kick and stuff to get air but thats about it. yeah know the freestyle...even though its a horrible survival stroke. but no matter how bad you are you can make it...i didnt' know a damn thing about swimming when i got to API and i've just passed the mile so its possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.