• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API question for OCS grads

USNMark

For RECENT graduates of OCS, how much time were you given to report at Pensacola for API? My graduation date from here is 24 April and I'm curious how long I'll have either here in Rhode Island or back in California (if I'm lucky enough to fly home for a bit). Would I have to be in Pcola within a week? Also, I've heard the first stop for people with pilot certificates isn't API; everyone goes to a one-week Leadership course... True or False?

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
At some point before API you will do DIVOLC, which is a week long course. Even with your PPL don't expect to start API for at least 3-4 months if not more once you get here. The orders you get before you graduate OCS will tell you your report-by date to NAS Pensacola. More than likely after OCS you will drive down here, check in, do DIVOLC, sign up for a stash job or request TAD orders to go home if your recruiter says you can work for them, and if not, at that point, after being here for 3 weeks or so, you can take leave to go home.

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
we were given roughly 3 weeks where we could just disappear from OCS and then reappear at NASP. this was back last june/july timeframe.

USNMark

At some point before API you will do DIVOLC, which is a week long course. Even with your PPL don't expect to start API for at least 3-4 months if not more once you get here. The orders you get before you graduate OCS will tell you your report-by date to NAS Pensacola. More than likely after OCS you will drive down here, check in, do DIVOLC, sign up for a stash job or request TAD orders to go home if your recruiter says you can work for them, and if not, at that point, after being here for 3 weeks or so, you can take leave to go home.

So should I fly down to Pensacola immediately after graduation, do the DIVO course and then fly home to get my car? I live in California so at some point a huge road trip will become a factor... What does the current status of OHARP assignments look like?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
You are going to want a vehicle as soon as you get down here. DIVOLC takes time to class up for. And the timing is on Flt Managements terms, not yours.

coxjc05

SNA 2009
Ok just another question to clarify (apologies is it's redundant) BUT... When you report to Pensacola, it's obviously check in first, then do you head to NAMI before DIVLC? Where would IFS fall into the timeline? I know it's before API, but I am just wondering whether or not to move my wife down there immediately or just have her hold off for a few weeks. Any input would be a huge help. Thanks.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You do it when you're told to do it by Flight Management. I know that's not a very helpful answer, but it's the reality. There are a bunch of little pieces to move around and frequently you'll do things in a different order and at a different time than your buddies.

Go home and get your car. Nothing around here happens immediately.

GFTC

pilot
You'll get about 5 travel days to get to P'cola. However, your orders from OCS will give you a NLT report date for a couple weeks after your grad date, you just have to take leave for anything beyond the 5 travel days. Don't worry about a leave chit, that will be taken care of when you check in.

Regarding the wife: During your last week at OCS ask your class officer to hook you up with PCS orders to Whiting. He'll give you the contact info for the detailer or, if you're lucky, he'll do the leg work for you. The PCS orders will allow you to do a HHG move. Good luck.

USNMark

^ Thanks very much for the help. I'll just fly home from Naval Prison Newport, Rhode Island and then make the drive out to Pensacola and if I get the opportunity to turn right around and do OHARP back home, well then woo hoo! But if not, I'll have my car there. I don't mind the road trippin'
Also, I'll have to work on getting a wife before I can work on getting orders to Whiting, as great as that would be. HHG... HHG... for some reason that's not ringing a bell. What is that exactly?
Also, how does my Class Officer have the ability to set up my orders for Primary?? That's some crazy kung fu right there.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
HHG = House Hold Goods

If you are not married you do not get HHG moved on the Navy's dime until after API

sna_gf

A few questions, guys and ladies:

My bf is in OCS and will be SNA.

When he gets out of OCS (end of May), he will drive to P-cola to report.
Go to the one week leadership training.
When will he be able to move his (our stuff) stuff to P-cola?
We can fit all our stuff in a 12x12 storage (maybe even 10 x 10 if we get creative).

My career makes me travel to different states ALOT (every week). I can basically fly to any city during the weekends if I don't want to go 'home'. So the Navy will not have to pay for my flights or anything moving for me.

Will the Navy pay for my bf's trip and transportion (car or plane tickets)from Newport to P-cola?
When will he be able to come back home to Texas after reporting in P-cola?
Will the Navy move his stuff from TX to P-cola?
Will I be able to live ('visit') on base with him when I come 'home' for the weekends even if I am not married to him? (We have been dating for 2.5+ yrs and have been living with each other for almost two years. We are definitely in love and committed to each other but I don't want to be forced or feel like I am being forced to get married bc of the Navy...:( It needs to happen naturally.)

If he wants to live off base, will he be able to get out of a lease with a military clause or something similar even though it won't be a PCS until he is finished with training?

Does anyone recommend apartments near base and the P-Cola regional airport?

Does anyone know someone who is leasing a house and willing to be flexible with a military schedule?

Thanks so much everyone!:icon_mi_1

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When will he be able to move his (our stuff) stuff to P-cola?
We can fit all our stuff in a 12x12 storage (maybe even 10 x 10 if we get creative).
Will the Navy pay for my bf's trip and transportion (car or plane tickets)from Newport to P-cola?
When will he be able to come back home to Texas after reporting in P-cola?
Will the Navy move his stuff from TX to P-cola?
Will I be able to live ('visit') on base with him when I come 'home' for the weekends even if I am not married to him?
If he wants to live off base, will he be able to get out of a lease with a military clause or something similar even though it won't be a PCS until he is finished with training?
Does anyone recommend apartments near base and the P-Cola regional airport?
Does anyone know someone who is leasing a house and willing to be flexible with a military schedule?

If you try out the Search function on the Forum toolbar, you'll find the answers to a lot of these questions.

There have been many discussions about apartments "good" and "other" in P'cola and Corpus, which location is better, etc. Both Texas and FL have mandated military clauses - you can break a lease with a bona fide set of orders out of the area. Most of the complexes around here are smart enough to know that word that they're fucking around with flight students will get around fast and cost them business. Though there have been some unscrupulous landlords who have tried to tack on fees or extra clauses, they're breaking the law.

Some of your other questions, about your Mr Man transiting from Newport to P'cola, the policies are in flux as Big Navy moves money from one pile to another. He'll get briefed on what exactly he'll be reembursed for, how much leave en route, and so on. We could tell you what's happened recently or is happening now, but it'll be outdated information by the time he needs it.

Living on base (at the BOQ) or off, no one gives a damn who visits ensigns. It's not like barracks living.

sna_gf

If you try out the Search function on the Forum toolbar, you'll find the answers to a lot of these questions.

There have been many discussions about apartments "good" and "other" in P'cola and Corpus, which location is better, etc. Both Texas and FL have mandated military clauses - you can break a lease with a bona fide set of orders out of the area. Most of the complexes around here are smart enough to know that word that they're fucking around with flight students will get around fast and cost them business. Though there have been some unscrupulous landlords who have tried to tack on fees or extra clauses, they're breaking the law.

Some of your other questions, about your Mr Man transiting from Newport to P'cola, the policies are in flux as Big Navy moves money from one pile to another. He'll get briefed on what exactly he'll be reembursed for, how much leave en route, and so on. We could tell you what's happened recently or is happening now, but it'll be outdated information by the time he needs it.

Living on base (at the BOQ) or off, no one gives a damn who visits ensigns. It's not like barracks living.

Thanks that's good to know that they don't care who visits. Though I've been told differently about visitors on base, etc.

And yes, I did do many searches on AW and many others and information seems to have many variations.... to your point, the policies are always changing... that seems to be a constant. :icon_mi_1

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
Ok, I just did this so here it is...

You'll have 4 days of travel to get from Newport to Pensacola. After that, the leave clock starts to tick. Your orders will have a date on them that says "Report no later than xx-xx-xxxx." My class had about a month to report no later than...yours might be different. I actually checked in a week after my four days of travel were up so I got charged 7 days of leave even though I checked in 11 days after graduating. I'm an SNFO so I got PCS'd here and in those 4 days of travel time and 7 days of leave I found a place for me and my wife, and did a PPM (DITY move).

Once you check in there will be a list of things that Flight Management gives you to do and appointments for you to keep...simple stuff really. As it has been going, when you finish those things you'll get scheduled for DIVOLC. I was here just over three weeks when I got scheduled. I did however, get a lovely stash job before this so I've had that to do on a daily basis. My advice, find a stash job you want to do before you get told to do one you don't want to do...I vounteered for one and actually enjoy it.

If you have to do IFS then that's another story. I haven't been put on the list for that yet and I've been here for over a month. Hopefully I'll see my name on there soon. There was some paperwork problem recently and a bunch of people got pushed back...which in turn pushes everyone else back.