• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API preparation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sopiak

My class date for OCS is 2 August, and I will be attending API as a SNFO thereafter. I am having a very difficult time locating viable gouge information to prepare myself for API between now and the time that I leave for OCS. Does anyone know of any study material (i.e., books, journals, pamphlets, etc.) available that may make API a little less difficult?

klray77

I would just go to navygouge.com. There's a ton of information on there. The site will tell you that the information should not be the only stuff you look at. But as far as preparing for API, I would say there's plenty of info to keep you busy.

AMaguire

Originally posted by sopiak
My class date for OCS is 2 August, and I will be attending API as a SNFO thereafter. I am having a very difficult time locating viable gouge information to prepare myself for API between now and the time that I leave for OCS. Does anyone know of any study material (i.e., books, journals, pamphlets, etc.) available that may make API a little less difficult?

My advice... Don't sweat it! Because your not headed straight to API. You go through IFS first (usually). That will get you the solid basis for what your gonna try and suck through the firehose when they teach it all to you again *the Navy way* when you do get over to the school-house anyways. I came down as an AF guy in December and went through the AF's version of IFS called NIFT and that got me 20 hours flight time and enough hands-on to understand EVERYTHING they teach at API. If you really want to plan ahead though... Take a college level math and physics course or two (hopefully you have already) or at least understand some basic math and physics. There are guys here who really hurt because they're trying to memorize EVERYTHING, including things they should be able to figure out from the equations especially in Aerodynamics. I had quite literally ZERO flight time before I got here and I finish API academics in two days and never failed a test. Don't stress that crap yet. Your gonna have plenty to worry about at OCS!
icon_smile_wink.gif

API Class 0324

adam

SNA, VT-21
actually, snfos do not go through ifs as of right now. not sure if that is going to change or not, but i doubt it. but, my advice is much the same. relax, get in shape for ocs, if you are really ambitious start memorizing your big three, but don't sweat api at all. enjoy your free time while you still have it!

"Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without your accordion."

Donald Rumsfeld

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
I had heard from people back at my alma mata who are getting commissioned through ROTC next month that the NFOs there are doing IFS as well before heading off to API. They don't have the details yet, so it could be a different program from what the pilots do. Not sure how/of this would apply to someone going through OCS, but just wanted to pass the info along.

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife
Currently, SNFO's are not going through IFS after OCS graduation. My boyfriend graduated from class 15-03 and he is waiting for API but does not have to go through IFS because he is SNFO. He said that they were told they are thinking about making SNFOs go to IFS as well, but no decisions have been made. As for API prep...everyone has said it already, just get in shape for OCS and you'll get some booklets of info about API before you start, and then you can read those over. Good luck!

sopiak

Hey, thanks for the replies. They have worked to ease my mind a little. If anyone has any further insight, please feel free.

skywrdbound

Can anyone get a copy of the charts Power Point or otherwise that the instructors use for the classes in API. SOmeone has got to have a copy of these somewhere.

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
You would think.

It appears I know an instructor down there... fellow Coastie. But, he hasn't replied to the email I sent him a couple of weeks ago. Figures.. he was only my personnel officer when I was a Yeoman.. : Talk about an ego.. heh.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Damn YNs.... go get me some coffee and I need five copies of this also...

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Elder, don't lie to me, it was part of your "A" school in Meridian, I know, because I went through that hellhole also... :)

phrogs

As of right now they are not sending snfo's to AFS. There is something on the table to start next year. Only 16 hours though.

Phrogs 4 Ever!!!!

Pitz

FighterPilotManual.com
Aviation Preflight Indoctrination (API) will provide you with the basic skills and knowledge required to begin Primary Pilot School. API is comprised of seven weeks of intense classroom sessions and survival instruction where you will learn material ranging from aerodynamics to jungle survival. During API you will focus most of your waking hours studying for the six exams of the five major aviation courses. These aviation courses are more commonly called “The Big Five”.

The “Big Five” tests are extremely important and there is no excuse not to ace them. You must score an 80 percent to pass however the class average for each test is in the high 90’s. To break out from the pack you must score 100 percent on these tests.

All test questions come straight from the Enabling Objectives in the front of each book. Make 3 x 5 cards for each Enabling Objective and you will be on your way to scoring well on the six tests of the Big Five.

The Big Five!

Fundamentals of Aerodynamics, Aviation Weather, Aircraft Engines and Systems, Introduction to Air Navigation, and Flight Rules and Regulations are the five major courses that you will take during API. Ace these classes! You can prepare prior to showing up so there is no excuse not to do well.

Although it’s not possible, the ideal background to do well in these classes is to have degrees in Aerospace Engineering and Atmospheric Science, have your Airframes and Powerplant Certificate, and have earned an Air Transport Pilot Certificate. However, even if you had all of these credentials prior to walking in, you still wouldn’t be prepared well enough. Like the old saying goes, there’s the right way, the wrong way, and the Navy way. You need to learn the Navy way.

Fundamentals of Aerodynamics
Book # CNATRA P-202
You will gain basic knowledge on the aerodynamic factors that affect aircraft performance. You will take two exams during this class.

During Aerodynamics class you will learn the basic principles of physics, aircraft terminology, basic aerodynamic principles, lift, drag, thrust, and power. You will then take your first Aero exam.

Then you will learn about airplane performance, controls, stability, spins, turning flight, and takeoff and landing performance. Then you will take your second exam.

Aviation Weather
Book #CNATRA P-303
You will gain knowledge of Meteorological Theory that will allow you to make educated decisions about aviation weather and the ramifications it may have upon your flight.

Topics covered during Aviation Weather class will be the structure of the atmosphere, atmospheric temperature, atmospheric pressure, winds and their circulation, clouds and moisture, atmospheric stability, air masses, frontal systems, thunderstorms, wind shear, turbulence, icing, and ceilings and visibility.

Aircraft Engines and Systems
Book # CNATRA P-201
You will gain knowledge of the fundamentals of jet and turboprop engines and their associated accessory systems.

Topics covered during Aircraft Engines and Systems class include the principles of gas turbine operation, compressor stalls, turbojet and turbofan engines, turboprop and turboshaft engines, hydraulic systems, electrical systems, fuel systems, lubrication systems, accessory systems, starter systems, and ignition systems.

Introduction to Air Navigation
Book #CNATRA P-203
Upon completion of this course you will be able to demonstrate the knowledge of the fundamentals of air navigation skills necessary for Primary Naval Aviation training.

The topics covered during this course are chart projections, plotting, global time keeping, CR-3 Air Navigation Computer (calculator side), airspeeds, preflight winds, in flight winds, flight planning, and flight conduct.

The Navy is doing amazing things with Global Positioning Satellite Technology (GPS), but you won’t find anything that sophisticated here. For years the Navy has been able to navigate around the world without the aid of any sophisticated navigational equipment. You will be trained to navigate incredibly accurately with only a signal emitted from a ground-based or ship-based Tacan transmitter. Civilians and Air Force pilots find it hard to comprehend just how accurately a Navy pilot can operate with the use of primitive electronic equipment such as the Tacan.

The United States Navy has been conducting long-range navigation much longer than any other arm of the military and they have got pretty good at it. Some of what you learn during this course may seem very antiquated, but believe me; the fundamentals you learn here may save your life one dark night out in the middle of some ocean somewhere on the other side of the world.

Get a CR-3 and learn how to perform every single task. The Navy will test you on every area of this wheel, front and back. You must be able to perform at lighting speed. If you earn your Private Pilot License you will become familiar with this wheel or one similar (the CR-3 is designed for faster aircraft and includes Mach Number computations), but the performance required by the FAA doesn’t even come close to what the Navy will expect from you.

You will be amazed at what you will be able to do with this little wheel. You will spend a few weeks in Aviation Preflight Indoctrination and then some more in Primary Flight School using this wheel. After that time, you turn it back in, never to see one again for the remainder of your Navy Career! But the fundamentals of navigation will be cemented into your brain forever, which you will build upon to find your way around the aircraft carrier the rest of your Navy Career.

Flight Rules and Regulations
Book# CNATRA P-909
The Navy operates under two sets of flying rules, FAR Part 91 and OPNAVINST 3710.7. The FAA mandates with Federal Aviation Rules Chapter 91 what every aircraft in the United States must do to operate safely within its airspace. The Navy then has another set of rules that allow them to operate at a safe yet aggressive tempo. Operational necessity dictates what Navy aircraft must do to keep this country free so OPNAVINST 3710.7 was implemented by the Navy to keep them operating in a safe yet aggressive tempo. Usually OPNAVINST 3710.7 is more restrictive than FAR 91, and many times it addresses things that are not touched upon by the FAA.

This course will teach you about the regulations of FAR Part 91 and OPNAVINST 3710.7 as they relate to naval flight operations in all weather conditions and applicable airspaces. It will also cover the many other Navy publications and terminology.

If you are able to earn you Private Pilot License prior to going to Pensacola, then you will have been exposed to FAR 91 and will have a general understanding of Aviation Rules and Regulations.

OPNAVINST 3710 covers all aspects of Naval Aviation. It regulates operations that are unique to Naval Aviation and carrier operations. It covers many topics such as formation requirements in visual and meteorological conditions. Day and night Carrier operations, Special Instrument Qualifications that allow pilots top operate down to zero/zero weather conditions if operational necessity dictates.

You will become very familiar with OPNAVINST 3710 and will always operate under the guidance of this instruction as you fly at an aggressive tempo that civilian pilots don’t need to worry about.

Start studying now! You must ace these tests. Let the other guys show up and muddle through the academics. The guys who are destined for great things will show up well prepared and score at the top of the class beginning with these tests.

Confidence comes from knowledge. Learn all you can now and you will be confident in the airplane later.

More to come.

Check six,

Grant Pitzer

And they pay me to do this!

Status
Not open for further replies.