• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Marines FY 13

SpankenStein

When you're here, your Family.
pilot
Hey Marines, I've been waiting for Tbs over a year, and now will be reporting soon. My question is, How backed up is API, and since budget cuts, are they making it any harder? How many Marines are typically in an API class?

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
You've got one or two bridges to cross and a lot of beer to drink before you need to start worrying about API if you haven't started TBS. I can't speak to the wait to start API, but I doubt they'll make it any harder. At most they'll do is raise the minimum NSS to graduate, which I doubt they'll do. Even if they do, there isn't much you can do about it, except bitch about it and study more.

Johny0nThaSp0t

pilot
Hey Marines, I've been waiting for Tbs over a year, and now will be reporting soon. My question is, How backed up is API, and since budget cuts, are they making it any harder? How many Marines are typically in an API class?

The MOC (Marine O Control) is backed up a couple of months. But your wait time will vary depending on your medical waivers, how many are ahead of you, whether or not you are already a pilot, etc. It's impossible to tell what your wait time will be. I was told at the end if TBS to expect June API, and classed up in April with a week notice.

The best thing you can do from now until you get here is to not be a jackass at TBS, continue developing a good work/ study ethic, and wear eye pro.

When you get here, you will need to complete a checklist of requirements before you can be put in the queue. Then chill, and continue not being a jackass, and everything will work out.

Worry about what you can control. Budget cuts is prob not one of em.

KBayDog

The best thing you can do from now until you get here is to not be a jackass at TBS, continue developing a good work/ study ethic, and wear eye pro.

When you get here, you will need to complete a checklist of requirements before you can be put in the queue. Then chill, and continue not being a jackass, and everything will work out.

TINS - One of the best "advice posts" in a long, long time.

SpankenStein

pilot
The MOC (Marine O Control) is backed up a couple of months. But your wait time will vary depending on your medical waivers, how many are ahead of you, whether or not you are already a pilot, etc. It's impossible to tell what your wait time will be. I was told at the end if TBS to expect June API, and classed up in April with a week notice.

Thanks for the Advice man. I see you use to be a C-130 Crew Chief. Active or Reserve? I use to be with Maintenance Admin for a Shitter Squadron. Any Specific Advice for Air Contracts at TBS? Haha Other than not being a jackass?

Johny0nThaSp0t

pilot
I was active with 252 out of CP, NC. Good times. Not really any specific advice other than work hard. All I could think about was getting to PCola when I was at TBS. I did well, but it seemed to drag on pretty slowly. You can either buy into the mindset of TBS or not. Either way, you're going to have to deal with it. Do yourself a favor and go with the flow, even if you know a better way of doing some things. The ground side has its ways of operating-- go with it.

Do well. They bag on the air wing pretty much as much as possible. Its good when you out-shoot, out-run, or out-test em.

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
Any Specific Advice for Air Contracts at TBS? Haha Other than not being a jackass?

'Don't be a jackass' is a good idea no matter where you go. Unless of course you are a jackass, then I say be yourself.
What Johny said about being bagged on for being air wing wasn't my experience. It was more like 'oh so you don't want to be a REAL Marine officer.' So be prepared for that and keep your eye on your goals. Try to refrain from drinking too much cool-aide and getting so motivated you drop your air contract to go 03. Unless you really are that motivated.

Biles

TBS Alpha company is graduating in 2 weeks, and we're expected to start IFS in July with API in September. They really cut down on the delays.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
What Johny said about being bagged on for being air wing wasn't my experience. It was more like 'oh so you don't want to be a REAL Marine officer.'

Yeah dude, that's pretty fucked up and indeed is very insulting. I'd say that you were "bagged" on just as much as everyone else.

Some guys see it more, some less, but it's there.

b0pric01

pilot
Enjoy your time there, as dumb as that sounds. My wife and I talk about how much we miss the area all the time. I think we mostly enjoyed the weekend trips to DC and all the history in the surrounding area. Here in LA there isn't as much to do on weekends.

djj34

pilot
TBS Grad 30 Jan
API 30 May

Take it for what you will.

Right now they're trying to put about 20 Marines from Echo into the next few classes. Sounds like Fox and Alpha will be pulling a lot of GDO soon ;)

Get here in one piece, get a sweet place, get a sweet stash job to get out of daily muster, find out what restaurants you like the most, and take up a new hobby or three.

SpankenStein

pilot
TBS Grad 30 Jan
API 30 May

Take it for what you will.

Right now they're trying to put about 20 Marines from Echo into the next few classes. Sounds like Fox and Alpha will be pulling a lot of GDO soon ;)

Get here in one piece, get a sweet place, get a sweet stash job to get out of daily muster, find out what restaurants you like the most, and take up a new hobby or three.

What's GDO? Not sure what you are saying? Are you hinting that it is still moving slowly, and i will certainly being doing some strange TAD?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
GDO = Group Duty Officer.

Edit: It's the most fun you'll ever have on a Friday or Saturday night. Remember Pcola and MATSG-21 is a huge training base for all those young PFCs and Lance Coolies who are living on their own for the first time in their short young lives. You get to deal with a lot of crap.

It's kind of like being an RA except you don't get to bang the hot chicks on the floor above you.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
What's GDO? Not sure what you are saying? Are you hinting that it is still moving slowly, and i will certainly being doing some strange TAD?

Marines have been waiting about 8-12 months between checking into MATSG and entering primary. That timeline increases and decreased throughout the year as student loading in API and Primary change as production increases and decreased based on funding, weather, aircraft/facility availability etc.