• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Flight Physical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

I am in the BDCP program, which is the Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program. I will be attending OCS in September and API following that. The Navy sent a bunch of us down to Pensacola in December for flight physicals to make sure that we were qualified for the flight program and to let us get a taste of what OCS will be like. My question is since I just had a flight physical and have been found physically qualified for the program, will I have to get another one prior to API? That physical was a pain. It took them two full days to give twelve of us our flight physicals, and we were the only ones in there the first day. Between the waiting and all the tests, especially the eye test.

This is just some advice for anyone who finds that they "Outside the Norm" on their anthro measurements. If the flight surgeon tells you they can't interpret your measurements contact the Public Affairs Officer at the Naval Aviation Schools Command (I believe they are in Bldg. 163 at NAS Pensacola). They interpret them their, and it only takes about ten minutes. I was told that I was to small for something during my physical, but no one knew where to send me, so after 5 months of unreturned phone calls and emails I finally found a PAO at NASC that helped me. I found that I am need a cockpit check to fly the T-44. But I am cleared for every other aircraft in the Navy's inventory.

sonny

Jeff,
Did you accept the BDCP program right after they offer it to you? I'm wondering if I can take the physical first and see if I'm qualified before I sign any papers. When I took the initial physical at MEPS, the doctors didn't realize that I was a aviation candidate so the physical wasn't very comprehensive. My recruiter says I passed everything but I don't really trust him. So I want to see how I do on the real physical at pensacola before I proceed.

djxprice

Jeff,
Greetings. I worked in the flight management office classing people up for API for about 3 months, so I can answer your question. If you are an ACES program participant (you will know if you are) the one physical will be enough. If you're not an ACES guy, then you WILL get another physical during your time at OCS. Additionally, if your anthros were out of spec (even a little), you will be sent to do cockpit fit-checks to ensure that you fit properly in training aircraft. If you have any other questions, I'm in the thick of it (but still waiting for Primary to start), so drop me a line. Have fun.

Dan

Bully

Guys,
Exactly how...umm...intrusive is the flight physical? I keep hearing these ominous things like "drink lots of water" and "don't eat for 24 hours prior". What am I getting myself into?

Jeff

Sonny,

You have to enter the BDCP program for them to send you down for your flight physical. However, if you apply with pilot as your only designation and are accepted, if you go down and are disqualified from flying you will receive a choice to change paths or receive a medical discharge.

Hope that helps.

DJXPRICE
I am not in the Aces program. ACES to my knwoledge began after my physical was done. I did basically the same thing as the ACES however we did not get in an actual plane. I have it worked out to go down with and ACES group this month to get the chance to do the flight though.

Thanks

Bully,
The physical is not all that bad it is just very time consuming. The eye exam was the worst part of it. It was the fist time I had ever had my eyes dialated but every one said that it was much worse than having it done at their doctors. For some reason our eyes were not completely back to normal until the next afternoon. Other than that it is just a lot of sitting and waiting with a few minutes of being checked by a doctor every so often.

Hope this helps..

Jeff

Phoenix

May I ask you Jeff, how many candidates were disqualified for their eyesight?

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Jeff

Phoenix

Actually in my group none were disqualified for vision. There was however one who was put on some review list because he had had laser surgery done to correct his vision and the Navy still has not set up all the ground rules on that, although they do say they will allow it for pilots. So he was told he would have to wait a few months for them to have it approved by BUMED. The doctors did tell us that on average about ten percent of candidates are disqualified for vision though. Its not that people don't have the minimum 20/30 vision (I believe thats correct), but there is some other test that they do that DQs most candidates, and that you wont be able to determine until you get there. They say you can have 20/20 and still be DQ'd from flying.

Little more than you wanted but...

Jeff

Phoenix

So, the easiest way to get through it, is to drink lots of water, go to bed early and drink no alcohol?

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Phoenix

Oh, one more thing!
Do you get another shot at the physical if your physical results aren´t up to the criteria?

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Jeff

Adding to what Matt said, I found that they are very willing to work with you on things while you are there. Personaly I am terrified of doctors, especially when my career depends on what they say. I get nervous and my blood pressure shoots through the roof, especially when they try to take it. My arm will start to shake cause I get so nervous. They actually let me lie down and periodically came and talked to me to calm me down and then they retook it and I was fine. But it took them 3 hours before I was able to get it down. So, they are willing to help you long as much as they can to get you through it. It is not as bad as people say it is, and most of the things, like your eyes you can not do anything about and worrying is only going to make it worse.

I had forgotten about the cornia mapping, which can be a problem. I was reffering to when they test your vision with your eyes dialated. Something the doctor tests while looking in your eye. I don't know what it is but they can actually estimate how long it will be before you need glasses and what type of glasses you may need. She told me I would probably need reading glasses between ages 40 and 50. But, she said some kids come in with 20/20 vision but their eyes will quickly become worse over the next few years and they can't allow them to fly. I could be off on how that works, but that is what I got out of the doctors explanation.
Again, just another thing you can not do anything about.

Jeff

ASUPilot

All of this stuff about eye exams is crap! I have my physical/orientation starting this Sunday in Pcola and I am nervous. Although I'm not a NA yet, I have four VERY close friends who are, including one who is an instructor at Pcola, and they all say that the Navy is so short of pilots and that a SIGNIFICANT portion of pilots in the fleet wear corrective lenses. Who cares if we may need glasses in the next couple of years?! If the military ever wants this pilot shortage to end they had better understand that those of us who were born into the computer age will have our eyes deteriorate more quickly than those of previous generations. I want the Navy BAD, but if they DQ me because my eye performance might "decrease" in the next few years, well I guess I'll go hit American Eagle or SkyWest.

Status
Not open for further replies.