• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Coming Soon To a Theater Near You

ryanber

I haven't gone through API yet, but I find the side stroke to be the easiest. And when you get real tired, just do the combat side stroke. IMHO that is...

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
After an exhaustive search I couldn't find if the frog kick/breast stroke combination is acceptable at API. Anyone remember?

Yes, totally acceptable. In fact, I remember almost everyone doing that stroke. And then the side stroke to get around those damn buoys.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Quick question:

Are the swimming instructors @ P-Cola (all E-Men in the old days) still the stroke-Nazi's that they used to be .... 4 required strokes to qualify .... freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, and sidestroke .... and i.e., if you did not do said requisite stroke THE NAVY WAY ...repeat: THE NAVY WAY ... you would get the "hook" tapping on your back and it was out of the pool for you to start over.

Over???

Out. :)

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
No, they really aren't that strict about it. Early in training, they want you to practice each stroke and will give you comments. For the test, as long as you use the right general stroke and do not appear to be struggling, you will be fine.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Quick question:

Are the swimming instructors @ P-Cola (all E-Men in the old days) still the stroke-Nazi's that they used to be .... 4 required strokes to qualify .... freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, and sidestroke .... and i.e., if you did not do said requisite stroke THE NAVY WAY ...repeat: THE NAVY WAY ... you would get the "hook" tapping on your back and it was out of the pool for you to start over.

Over???

Sounds like the swim qual instructors at TBS ... however, you will learn that breast stroke kick (the Marine/Navy way) ... and it made the P-cola swimming a breeze. Thanks go to Cpl X for having us all tread water and play the pass the brick game ... for what seemed like days. :knockout_:D

doubledeuce

Tartan
None
Quick question:

Over???

I beg to differ with Hokie...They don't like your form on a stroke when it counts, you get the "hook" pulling you back to swim hold. At least that was the case near two years ago. Know a couple men that got blindsided with it.

("They" are still E's.)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I beg to differ with Hokie...They don't like your form on a stroke when it counts, you get the "hook" pulling you back to swim hold. At least that was the case near two years ago. Know a couple men that got blindsided with it.

("They" are still E's.)

Totally depends on the instructor(s). My specific instructors were strict but not stroke-Nazi's. However, I saw other instructors that would pull you out for the slightest mistake. That was last summer/fall.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
One (1) mile in a 50 yard (I think) pool. No, combat isn't approved, just Side, Breast, or Freestyle (no Back). That's the Navy way.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
So I was swimming laps at the University pool this afternoon and decided to do the mile swim. I made it in 61 mins using only breast and sidestroke. It was long and boring, but I had plenty of steam left at the end.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
So I was swimming laps at the University pool this afternoon and decided to do the mile swim. I made it in 61 mins using only breast and sidestroke. It was long and boring, but I had plenty of steam left at the end.

You are a glutton for punishment.

FrijoleEcho

Anyone else just start API...

I classed up yesterday. A lot quicker than I expected coming from Alpha Co. at TBS. We checked into MATSG on the 14th of June and they are trying to fill a bunch of vacant slots right now. All Whitting Field from what I've seen on the board. Anyone want some info lemme know. Also, if anyone went through API thats already a rated pilot let me know how that helps/doesnt etc. I've got my Comm. Multi but haven't flown since 03'. Got kinda expensive. Thanks.