• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Class Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

quickandsure

boring_125.gif
Does class ranking or API scores mean anything? Should I bust my chops trying to 4.0 the course, or just relax and just make sure i just pass. How do they choose who (SNFO) fly the T6 rather than t34C?

Danka

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
API grades count 15% towards primary... so don't slack off. I believe some courses count more than others... i.e. Aero 2 and Navigation.

T-6 spots are given at random.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally posted by virtu050
API grades count 15% towards primary... so don't slack off. I believe some courses count more than others... i.e. Aero 2 and Navigation.

T-6 spots are given at random.

15%? If you believe that, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. I think you've been listening to all those 'expert' stash ensigns at API who think they know how everything in the training syllabus works.

API doesn't count for crap.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The infamous, does API count towards my NSS or not.... For a FACT, when I selected back in '00, your API scores counted towards your NSS. In plain print, looking at my score breakdown before the "curve".... Now, could they have changed that, and are not counting API? Sure. But I have seen various comments both supporting either side on this site. It also surprised me in Primary how many people didn't know how to compute their NSS, and just followed the gouge #s, ie I need to be 12 aboves by selection to get jets. Guess things are different with MPTS.

Anyone out there that just selected that can put a wooden stake in this one, on whether or not API counts towards your final NSS?

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Yeah: PAS = .9[50 + 10/(S-M1)/S1} + .1[50 + 10(M2-TGI)/S2]
Does that answer the question? (note:sarcasm)

The first guys in the new syllabus will be selecting anytime now. That whole S part of the equation won’t come to play since there is no standard as of now. I read that as commanders discretion.
LT. (Guy from whiting) told us that same 15 percent for API, but at the same time, (LT somebody in Corpus) told my buddy that it doesn’t count for jack.
Regardless, your API score will be in your jacket, and the guys that make the magical equation work will look at it. But then we go back to the commanders discretion part, and you will have to use your imagination for that.
I’m a little curious as to how it will pan out, but ultimately whether I want helos or jets or know the scores to get them, it won’t effect the way I prepare for a brief.

airwinger

pilot
I had done well at API and was hoping it counted but the folks in VT-3 stucon said that for SELECTION API didn't count, now if it came to making commodores list then it would count. This was in the Feb-jun 2003 timeframe.
semper fi,
airwinger

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
I thought it was solely API that determined who gets jets, who gets helos, and who gets turboprops? Is this not true?

petescheu

As for who get's T-6s out of API for the NFOs, I talked to a friend of mine down there who is in week 4 of API and is looking to try and get a T-6 slot. He told me that the person in charge there said T-6s were given out to the NFOs who were at the top of the class. But, my friend said that from previous classes it was totally random, there were people at the top that went T-34s... so who knows. Just do your best and let the chips fall... maybe you'll get lucky.

Fatboy

pilot
There was one indivudual that has finished with the new syalbus. They have no idea how to calculate selection so they gave this person what was asked for.

There is a decent sized backup of people who have finished and are waiting to select but nobody knows how to calculate NSS off the new sylabus.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Not to be the "that guy", but how does the new MTPS system work different than, I'm guessing, the old NSS system? I assume it'll be the top stud gets his/her choice, and the rest are the needs of the Navy/Marines? Can someone explain? Thanks.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Top student doesn't mean you get your choice. It's more of the needs of the Navy thing, unless those happen to coordinate with what you desire. The MPTS is better and worse than the old system. It's better because you are graded on a per item basis rather than the old system where generally the grading resulted in a net below/avg/above. Even though individual items on the old system were graded, instructors tend to be conservative with their grading resulting in smaller deviations from average. Under the MPTS system, you could have the majority of your manuevers be above average and the grading therefore would result that. The bad thing about the MPTS is your grades from one flight to another can vary greatly. Look at this scenario dealing with two flights:
On the first one, an instructor thinks you've done well. On the second one, with a different instructor, you make the grade but he thinks it is nothing exceptional. With the old system, you would probably have an above average on the first flight, and just an average on the second flight. This results in a net 1 above. Under MPTS, you might have 9 aboves on the first flight and just 1 above ('above' here meaning above the required grade) on the second. That results in a 10 above. Is that good? Who knows? The problem with MPTS is that a good flight isn't as clear cut. One instructor might give you a lot of aboves; another might give you none. Even though the MPTS system is supposed to take away some subjectivity, it only increases the impact of any subjectivity that remains (since the instructor has many more items to grade).

Now that I've made it as clear as mud, just realize that either grading system as pro's and con's. Grading under the MPTS system reflects better on how you did each flight. Under the old system, the grading reflected the entire flight better.

You're probably wondering about the formulas for NSS. All they do now is take the MPTS grades and turn it into a GPA. Since that's what the old system used, the NSS is calculated the same way from that. However, there is a quirk in the MPTS formula. The fewer graded items you have, the higher your score. Therefore, you would have a higher score if you met MIF in an item and then talked the instructor in not doing that item again. Basically that means if you're in PA's and you do a decent 1/2 cuban 8, don't do it again. Even if you were to do well on it in subsequent flights, the fact that you performed the item multiple times would lower your grade. The fewer graded items you have compared to everyone else, the higher the score. That's why guys who can skip a flight have a higher NSS (myself included). I don't believe that is good training, but it's the way the grading works.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Thanks for the thorough answer, kmac. What does MPTS stand for? Am I correct in saying that the NSS system is going to be gone for good overridden by the MPTS? Not that it matters to me. Since I won't even be in flight school for another two years. I am just curious. Thanks.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I had heard that API counts the same as one FAM. If you really want T-6s that bad, you can always suck it up and go do primary at Moody. A buddy of mine in VT-10 said the T-6 spots were given out at random. Of course, the T-34 students are finishing faster since the planes don't break as often and there are more instructors.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
EA6B1-
Multi-Pilot Training System (aka, the air force method)
As far as I understand it, the only ones still on the old system are the jet guys (not sure on helo bubbas). I was the first MPTS E2/C2 student going through Intermediate. You still get an NSS.... that's just the score given to you based on the sample size of those that have gone in front of you (in primary is was how the last however-many students to go through in a particular month, intermediate they had to wait to get enough guys to guess at an NSS for me). As you'll hear numerous times, don't worry about grades; they work themselves out.

I know it's been a year and a half since I started api/primary, but I see in my jacket that there is a separate NSS for API and Primary. Since you select out of primary, I would have to assume that API means nothing. This is similiar to in the jet pipeline... it's only your advanced NSS that counts toward your selection into an individual jet type.

Status
Not open for further replies.