• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Attrite's Options

JJ_22

Hello, I am new to these forums and am looking for some educated insight. I am going through a tough transition period right now so no sarcastic responses would be appreciated. Here is my situation :

I graduated Naval OCS this past August. I originally had been picked up as SWO but while at OCS was able to redes as SNFO. I arrived at PCola and attrited in API. I could go on for days about things I should and shouldn't have done, but it is what it is. I am up for March's redes board, but from what I have been hearing chances of redes are pretty slim. I do have a BAS in Software Engineering so I am hoping that may be my saving grace. I have a wife and 2 children so the uncertainty in my future is unnerving.

All in all my question is this. My drive to serve in the armed forces has not wavered, and I would like to know my options. I am not married to the idea of staying in Aviation, although obviously it is preferred since that is what I have been studying and I would like to put that time to use. The main thing to be is that I remain active duty and am able to serve my country in some meaningful way. Thank you for the input.

**Also, I have heard of attrites getting out, doing something else for a while, then reapplying and getting back in. Does anyone know how often this occurs?

NUFO06

None
The redes boards ebbs and flows as to what's available. If you attrited from API then Aviation is not option for you unless you somehow luck out and get Aviation Duty Officer. I saw it happen once. When I was going through I saw guys in the beginning all picking up intel slots with ease. Then intel closed off and everyone was going SWO, but there was people who got picked up as medical admin, PAO and OceanO. But I was also there when they closed the redes boards off to most people and kicked everyone out who attrited.

You need to get in touch with someone who is familiar with the current happenings of the board. There was a civilian who ran C-pool for the SNFOs over at the Wing 6 building who was always tuned in. I don't know if he is still there but it couldn't hurt looking. His office was over by the Wing 6 SDO desk.

Have you thought about a redes to cyber? Or Information Warfare?

Good luck to you.

exNavyOffRec

I have seen several aviation attrites come to my NRD while transitioning out, most said very few were redesignated, it seemed to be about 20% and from what they said the ones redesignated had tech degrees so that is a plus for you. The designators that I have heard or seen people redesignated to were SWO, IW, Intel, CEC, and AMDO.

Good luck to you during this time.

azguy

None
Uncertainty, unfortunately, is a constant and prevalent part of this business, and probably the leading cause of JOs leaving the Navy. Just something to consider in this transition.

If you have ANY questions about SWO or Intel, PM me. IW may also be a good fit for you based on your degree, even more so if you did well in school and/or have industry experience. Good luck.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are on hold at Schools Command, you might try to get into the AMDO class while you are awaiting your fate. It sounds like you are a good candidate for AMDO and IP. What did you put down in your transfer package?

JJ_22

Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated. I haven't finished my transfer package as of yet, I am due to submit it next week so I am trying to gather as much information of different possibilities while I can. I am open to IP, although I was hesitant to try for it as I have heard it is as a community more selective than others for redes. Although I have a tech degree, I commissioned right after graduation so I did not have time to get much industry experience under my belt. I have plenty of managerial experience which is why I was leaning toward SWO as first pick.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
IIRC IP is one of those communities that takes a few people every year (as in single digits). Your tech degree will help you, but as an OCS grad you are low in the pecking order because you were a minimal investment relative to an academy or ROTC guy/gal.

Intel will give you a shot to stay in aviation as a LOT of the first sea tours are in a squadron or CAG staff (assistant targeteer). Future billets in aviation would be instructors at various RAGs, lead targeteer, CAG AI (lead intel officer for a wing), and so on. You will spend a lot of time working shore billets or with other things that aren't about aviation, but it is the closest you will get other than maybe AMDO. Your tech degree will help getting in there. If you have to write another essay, emphasize your interest in understanding the threat (learning about enemy jets, missiles, ships, etc) and not international affairs and poli sci type stuff.

Also, since you were originally selected for SWO, that might work in your favor.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
IP isn't being very selective right now. At least not at the Lateral Boards, which my translate to the re-des boards. IW and AMDO are a good way to go as well.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Last year the word was that they only took 17% for re-designation at the boards. There is a good possibility that the numbers will be the same this year (I know two winged aviators that didn't get picked up during the fall boards and are expecting to be separated this spring).

You may want to plan on associating with a reserve unit and trying to return to active duty via FTS etc.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
If you have a BS in Software Engineering, then the IP and IW communities should (not a shall) have an interest in you. There is an IDC equivalent website to this one…www.informationwarriors.net

I know the IW community manager takes and answers questions there…I recommend engaging him if you can. Alternately, track down the IW or IP new accessions officer via e-mail/phone to determine their needs for your particular year group.

Basic tactics…if you can have a community manager asking for you from a gaining community, that is always better than taking the more passive approach of waiting for someone else to recognize your talents.

Cyber remains a growth field in the Navy...PM me if you want to chat about the IW community. I can talk only semi-intelligently about IP…we're all part of one big happy IDC family but how they access and run things are different from IW.

Good luck.

exNavyOffRec

If you have a BS in Software Engineering, then the IP and IW communities should (not a shall) have an interest in you. There is an IDC equivalent website to this one…www.informationwarriors.net

I know the IW community manager takes and answers questions there…I recommend engaging him if you can. Alternately, track down the IW or IP new accessions officer via e-mail/phone to determine their needs for your particular year group.

Basic tactics…if you can have a community manager asking for you from a gaining community, that is always better than taking the more passive approach of waiting for someone else to recognize your talents.

Cyber remains a growth field in the Navy...PM me if you want to chat about the IW community. I can talk only semi-intelligently about IP…we're all part of one big happy IDC family but how they access and run things are different from IW.

Good luck.

Given his commission date (August) he would be YG14, if he doesn't pop on shortly maybe that helps get him some more info.

JJ_22

Thank you for all the information. From what I've looked into IW or IP are the best places for me. Now it is all about compiling my package so those communities see it the same way.

DIVO

On the NPC website - you can find info about the communities. When I transferred a year ago, I just called the community managers number listed. I was looking at PAO and HR. Both were quite helpful and gave me real expectations if I were to be selected. Overall it helped me decide HR was the path I needed to go (even though PAO was originally my first choice).