• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API and possible shutdown

vmijalapeno

Thump Thump Thump Thump...
None
AW, supposed to class up for API either this Thursday the 8th (if they have enough for a class, only 11 or so IFS complete ensigns in A-pool) or the 15th. I was curious if anyone knows how this possible government shutdown on the 8th will affect us in training command. I used search function and did some research but didn't see anything on training command.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/sh...thout-pay/page2?highlight=government+shutdown

1. Functions deemed by the DoD to be necessary for national security,
the safety of human life or protection of property are exempt from shutdown.
also
h. Education and training necessary to participate in or support
essential functions.

Being none of these three and IMO not being a "essential function" I see us just being furloughed. My friends in API and I are just curious and any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
With all the Marines waiting for training it would be stupid to not have a class because the Navy did have enough ensigns...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I can't speak to what P'cola is going to do, but most discussions I've heard from the training and education folks is that military personnel will continue to report to work.
Civilians will not be coming to work until the budget is passed or another CR is approved.

I have no idea if API can conduct classes without civilians. Pretty much most of the admin work behind the scenes will pause. For API stuff (my info is dated, so if my data is incorrect, someone who is younger please correct me here...) the pool was civilian run; the 'spin and puke' had a lot of civilians; the dunkers were run by civilians; Boxing was by "Johnny Walker" who was civilian (I don't know if you still box, but I'm guessing that there are some periods that use the gym; which is run by civilians). While the class room sessions were all military, all the other activities had some kind of civilian requirement to complete.

If I had to guess, I'd say API (and pretty much all of flight school; contract maintenance and sim instructors) will shut down. Since a full gov't shutdown is a significant political move (budgetary chicken between the parties) I would HOPE that it would only be for a day before leadership comes to some compromises...
Of course they could pass a CR that addresses the active duty military only (like last time) and only shut down everything else... Otherwise, imagine this phone call: "Gen Mattis, we have no money, you must hold all current operations. No ammo can be expended, no one can eat an MRE, no aircraft movements, no vehicle movements, everything must stay exactly as it is right now until we get this worked out".

I'm thinking cooler heads will prevail and something will happen to address the military prior to April 8th, in the event there is an impasse. Of course that's just my thoughts, I could be wrong....

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Like helolumpy says, I don't see any way we could continue training if it were to go down as written. Maintenance is all civilian-contracted, and admin in all of our HT squadrons are all civilians. If those ladies/gents don't come in to work, nothing gets done. Let's hope they get something figured out.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
I showed to Primary amidst the 95 shutdown... ground school continued as normal. No flights, sims pressed on. I think API would follow in the press mentality since it doesn't really cost any extra to have folks show up and learn.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

I'm thinking cooler heads will prevail and something will happen to address the military prior to April 8th, in the event there is an impasse. Of course that's just my thoughts, I could be wrong....

Honestly, since this year is already FUBAR in a budget sense, I've switched over to hoping for a nasty shutdown fight in the hopes that we don't repeat this process next year.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a difference between contractors (your maint guys, for example) and civilian gov't workers. Contractors are paid by their company, not the fed gov't. whether they'll be working in the event of a shutdown depends on their company's arrangements with the government.

To the op's question: last shutdown, the military continued to work, civvies did not, except for essential services like the galley and DoD police. You won't be "furloughed". There is a possibility your paycheck could be delayed.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Looking at some old papers from the BIG ONE, the 1995/1996 shutdown, it seems the DOD budget had been approved. The work, or lack of work, by the last Congress left no agency with a budget (except their own).

High drama on the Potomac.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
All of the API instructors are military, our swim instructors are military, and flight management is all stashed ensigns and API instructors. I don't know how much goes on behind the scenes beyond that, but it seems to me like we could make API work no problem...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
There's a difference between contractors (your maint guys, for example) and civilian gov't workers. Contractors are paid by their company, not the fed gov't...

A lot of the TRACOM contractors got converted to GS on Oct 1st last year (mostly the clerks in the squadrons and wings who keep the wheels turning in the different departments, ie. ops, stucon, academics, and of course admin). I don't know if/how many in the schoolhouse at mainside though, let alone all the cats and dogs like flight gear issue/supply. I guess we might soon find out how that all turns out... (!)