• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API and Family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helo_wannabe

Can anyone shed some light on how API will work if I am married with children? I am a ways from starting but I would like some info to help me plan.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
When I went through API my son had just turned 1. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. I had an office at home and was always in there studying and a couple of times an hour my son would woddle over and want to play. It was a welcome break from studying, and they recommend that you study for 20-30 min, then take a 3-4 minute break, so that worked out nicely. The wife knew what I had to do and was very understanding. We didn't have much family time during the week for the first 4 weeks of API. I'd take one day, usually Sat and spend it with the Fam.

Everyone talks about how hard it would be to get through flight school being married, and even more so with children. I just finished Primary and haven't had a problem studying, or spending time with family. It's been a blast!

kaiangel

It really isn't so hard. I have a wife and three kids and still got a 99 average. As long as you are able to put studying first and sacrifice some family time then it is just fine. I remember people telling me that I was crazy if I brought my family to flight school. But it hasn't been too hard for me and I see a bunch of other guys doing it as well. Just keep your priorities in line.

Agent00JP

I had a 5 month old and 2 year old in the house and finished top 10% with a 98+. I will have to agree with those above, just make sure you get the study time you need. I used a friends place for group study and used the library and learning center for individual study time.

GSKiker

SNA On my Way to P'cola
Where to live in P'cola?

Hey Guys,

I am on my way out to P'cola, I have a wife and son, so I will probably stay there for primary after API. My question is, where is good place to live? Since API is at NAS P'cola and primary at Whiting, is there a happy medium as far as location? Where do you guys that are there now live? I am not real familiar with the area around P'cola, but I have been to Milton a few times. I am looking to rent a house, 3br/2ba, in a nice area, and I dont care if it is in the middle of nowhere either. Thanks gents! E-mail me if you really have a good idea or know of a specific house or location. gsknjax@yahoo.com

Kiker

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
We didn't go to Pensacola, but I would say that I think it would be better to live closer to Whiting since you'll be there for at least 6-7 months, whereas API is only a few weeks long. Better to have a long commute for just a few weeks, then to have a long commute (because you live halfway) the whole time you're there. Just a thought I had. But, since you aren't 100% sure where you will be for primary, maybe your wife and son could stay put where they are and you could live in the BOQ (geo-bachelor thing- you'll still get BAH for where your wife is), and then when you get orders to Primary you can move them out. I'm pretty sure the Navy won't move you until you have orders to primary since API is short-term and you will be moving on to a different base (regardless of whether it's Corpus or Whiting). So you may just have to wait anyhow or pay for the move on your own. You'll want to check on this before you get out of your current housing situation for sure.
Good luck!

kray1395

Hey Kiker,

Nice to see someone else who is exactly in the same boat as I am. I'll be heading down there around June 17th. My wife is actually in Pensacola now doing our house hunting with my mother-in-law and my son. I started out wanting to live in the Ferry Pass area north of Pensacola Regional. It's almost exactly halfway between NASP and Whiting. I'm now kind of starting to lean towards NFOwife's suggestion that maybe I should be more closer to Whiting. So, my wife is actually looking at homes in Pace today and tomorrow. You can actually go to www.pensacolamls.com where you will find quite a few listings. Anyways, to you or anyone else who is reading this who might be in the same situation, I am definately down with car pooling. Let me know.

Ken

GSKiker

SNA On my Way to P'cola
kray1395 said:
Hey Kiker,
Anyways, to you or anyone else who is reading this who might be in the same situation, I am definately down with car pooling. Let me know.

Ken

Ken,

E-mail me and so we can keep in touch. I may also do the geo-bach thing until I figure where I will be for Primary. Talk to you later.

Kiker
gsknjax@yahoo.com

thundersquid

pilot
My wife and I are living in Pace and it seems like a good area. I am closer to Whiting than Pensacola NAS but I will spend most of my time at Whiting anyway so I would rather that commute be closer

Status
Not open for further replies.