• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Apartment Rip-off

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
I'm curious what some of you who have lived in a number of apartments think about this. I've only lived in two different complexes, and there is a night and day difference between them, so I'm trying to figure out if I was spoiled by the first one, or if the second one is ripping me off.

1st complex- Moved out before the end of the month, paid only for the days I was there that month, got my entire deposit back.

2nd complex- Moved out December 17th, was charged for the entire month. Was charged 62.00 for a final water bill, which is odd, because I'd never paid more than 12.00 for an entire month before. Was charged 25.00 for "uncleaned oven". I understand that clean is subjective, so I'm not as fired up about this, but it was at least as clean as it was when I moved in. Between two cans of easy off, 4 rolls of paper towls and the better part of 2 hours, it was pretty clean. If all that isn't enough, I received a letter today, two months after I moved out, and they want me to pay a $50 dollar electricity bill. This bill is A) for the period after 19 DEC (two days after I moved out, and the day I terminated service with the power provider) and B)uses an equation to split the amounts due by the complex for January and my self for the remaining portion of December. What irks me about this equation is that I pay 50% more of the bill than the complex even though I wasn't even there (and I turned off ALL electrical equipment).

So, is this norm, and should I just take it and pay up, or is this a screw job worth being a pain about?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
State laws vary, but for most places you have 30 days from the time you notify them (in writing) that you will be moving (via military clause, and you must show them orders if they request it) that you have to pay. As far as the other bills go... take up the electric bill with the electric company, as that is most likely to come back and bite you in the ass on your credit report (the bastards). I don't fully understand what you're talking about in B) the equation. Can you describe that differently?

phrogpilot73

This example is proof positive why home ownership is such a good deal.

Second, I think the second apartment complex is ripping you off, thinking you won't know any better. Go to base legal (one of the bennies of being active duty, free legal advice) and see what they say. If nothing else, a phone call from a lawyer (that you didn't have to pay for) might change the apartment complexs tune.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
I had a friend who recently dealt with this stuff. I suggested he go to the base housing office and tell them the situation. When he did, they took on the problem as if it were their own and took care of it. Good luck, man.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
State law likely isn't the issue. Most of those things are spelled out in the lease. (Or at least should be). Concur on the base legal advice. Take your lease to them, outline your concerns and see what they tell you. As far as the utilities go however, I'm not clear on why the complex has anything to do with them. The service is contracted in your name, not the complexes (unless there is a special arangement) so that is likely your deal. Keep in mind that all the provider cares about is whether you have a contract for service, not whether you are there...so your move-out date is not a factor.

gtxc2001

pilot
Contributor
With regard to the billing equations and billing:

The complex had a split utility policy on the water. Tennants payed 40% of the bill, if I recall correctly. That worked out to about $12 a month. I can't remember (and unfortunately shredded the bill) what the last billing date on the water bill was, but I know that it had been payed at least within the preceeding month. Thus, the $62 water bill, (for a half month, no less) seems bogus. My power service was disconnected 2 days after I moved out, 19 DEC. The complex sent me a bill that covered 19 DEC - 18 JAN. They want me to pay a portion of that bill, based on an equation, which has me pay 30 dollars of that bill, and the complex 20 dollars of it, despite the fact that I had terminated my service with the company and payed my final electric bill. I guess the way they are approaching it is the end of the 30 days notice was 31 DEC, so they are having me pay half of this DEC-JAN water bill. This brings me to another point. I informed the complex that I was moving out in mid December in the middle of November, yet they wrote down 01DEC. I should have argued that, but I didn't realize they weere going to shaft me like they are.

This second complex was in Corpus Christi, while the first was in P'Cola.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
Maybe I'm coming in late on this, but if the power was disconnected on 19 December, how'd did your name end up on the 18 JAN bill? If your name isn't actually on the power bill, I wouldn't worry about it.

snizo

Supply Officer
State law isn't an issue at all - because this is part of the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act and is a federal law. There is no variation in the law, but there is a lot of variation on how much extra the complex will let you get away with.

I'll fill you in on what the minimum requirements are for your lease:

If you give notice in the middle of the month (say - November in this case), you are responsible for 30 days from the next rent due date. I'll assume you paid rent on the 1st of every month - so you are responsible for the lease until December 30.

But you aren't just responsible for paying rent - you must adhere to the lease terms with respect to keeping utilities connected (and usually keeping the a/c or heat and fridge on at a reasonable level) until that lease is actually over (on December 30) - regardless of when you actually left.

Bottom line - if you notified them on Nov 17, you can be held responsible for the rent and water/gas/power through December 30. Anything past that - they're breaking the law. But you broke the terms of the lease by terminating your utilities in the middle of December, so you can be charged/fined for that.

Any other questions - let me know. I did a presentation on the civil relief act, so I've actually read the entire thing ;) I'm also stuck under this law and paying for a place I don't actually live in for a few more days...

You can check out the relevant part here.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
State law isn't an issue at all - because this is part of the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act and is a federal law. There is no variation in the law, but there is a lot of variation on how much extra the complex will let you get away with.

Hey thanks for the correction. I am smarter now.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Might I ask for future experiences where you rented so that (I) others can possibily benefit from it.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
gtxc2001, that wasn't Baypoint in CC was it? It sounds like the crap they tried to pull on my roomate and I a couple years ago.

gtxc2001

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the heads-up on that Snizo, that's some solid gouge. I guess the moral of the story is, when in doubt about legal minutia, ask a chop. (Is it true you supply guys have a high occupancy rate at Leavenworth?)

For all who are curious, the apartment complex was the Veranda. It was ghetto. And a rip-off. I don't recommend it.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Using a digital camera to do detailed before and after photographs with date/time stamps can be invaluable in getting all of your deposit back.

If you go in to argue your case with a property manager and have your ducks in a row and photographic proof you left the place in same or better condition, they most likely with begrudgingly refund your deposit.

Before you move in to a place ask them what is expected at check out (in writing)...it could include cleaning the carpets and oven, repairing nail holes, etc. Then you can be better prepared to check out.

Good luck.