• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AOCS vs. OCS

pmarsto1

Can anyone tell me for sure that AOCS does not exist anymore or if its an additional 4 weeks after the 12 weeks in RI or what the deal is with it?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
AOCS does not exist anymore. I know 4 people in the past couple years going into aviation that went to OCS.

MSkinsATC

pilot
Went through OCS in Pensacola with 6 other Pilot types and 2 NFO types, about a year ago. It will be the same in RI, you will just have to move down to Pensacola for API following OCS graduation. Last I checked though, OCS is 13 weeks, and API is 6, probably with some kind of pool before starting API (I waited 7 months)

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can anyone tell me for sure that AOCS does not exist anymore or if its an additional 4 weeks after the 12 weeks in RI or what the deal is with it?
To back up what Thisguy said, no it doesn't exist anymore. It hasn't for a long time now.

tiger84

LT
pilot
It's just OCS now, so you'll have nukes, suppos, SWOs, etc in your class. It's only 12 weeks long, unless you get rolled and spend some time in H.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
The movie's called "Pressure Point," and it was a Phantom he was looking forward to getting his hands on. Apparently it was remade in 1989 for the new, hip generation.

pmarsto1

Cool, thats what I thought but my recruiter has been telling me that I will spend 12 weeks in RI and then go another 4 weeks to AOCS in P'cola and then wait for API. Thanks guys.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
AOCS used to be OCS and API combined. I don't think it's been like that since 91 or 92.

I could only find this of activites on the "grinder."

tiger84

LT
pilot
AOCS used to be OCS and API combined. I don't think it's been like that since 91 or 92.

I could only find this of activites on the "grinder."

Ahh, it's too bad they don't have a video of the hours and hours of rifle PT you wind up doing in preparation for drill comp.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The movie's called "Pressure Point," and it was a Phantom he was looking forward to getting his hands on. Apparently it was remade in 1989 for the new, hip generation.

Actually the one you refer to as 1989 vintage was a new edited version of the original to reflect the kindler gentler AOCS of the late 80's. The original Pressure Point was made in the mid 70's. I saw it in 1978 before shipping to AOCS. It was still in use when I was an active duty recruiter in 1985. After I left the edited version came out. I have a copy of the original on VHS. If I ever get it in digital formate I will let you guys know. It is a good flash back anyway.

flynavyp3

Here's the scoop on AOCS vs. OCS (as well as some info on flight training):

Until about ten years ago, there were two Officer Candidate Schools; regular OCS (for Surface Warfare, Intel, Supply, etc) in Newport, RI, and Aviation Officer Candidate School, or AOCS (for pilots and NFOs) in Pensacola, FL. The training was quite a bit different, largely due to the different roles the graduates would play once they got to the fleet, with AOCS focusing on aviation-related training and regular OCS focusing on ship stuff. Well, in the mid-90's the Navy decided to combine the two in an effort to save money. OCS in Newport was closed and moved to Pensacola to combine with AOCS, and it was decided that ALL naval officers needed to have a basic understanding of nautical subjects, so the training curriculum put in place was basically that of the Newport OCS. All the aviation-related subjects were pulled out of accessions training and a separate, 6-week long ground school called Aviation Preflight Indoctrination (API) was instituted for aviation types to attend immediately after commissioning, prior to beginning actual flight training. So here's how it breaks down now: if you are designated for aviation and attend OCS, you should commission in 12 weeks (it used to be 13, but it was shortened to 12 about 3 or 4 years ago in yet another effort to save money). Next stop is API which is 6 weeks of actual training, although there is usually a large pool of students waiting to class up so you may wait for months before actually starting. After successfully completing API you will go to your primary training squadron, which (for pilots) will be either in Corpus Christi, TX (NAS Corpus Christi), Milton, FL (NAS Whiting Field), or you could do flight training with the Air Farce as part of the whole "joint military" concept; their school is in Enid, OK (Vance AFB). NFOs stay at NAS Pensacola. Time from commissioning, hold pool prior to API, actual API training, assignment to Primary and actual completion of Primary Flight Training varies quite a bit, but you can expect something around 12 months. After primary your destination & time to completion will vary depending on what community you get (jets, helos, P-3s, etc).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^^^Good brief history. Couple of things. Old AOCS also trained AMDOs and Air Intel Officers. Today there is no separate designator for aviation intel types. Even during the AOCS days there was API. Back then most of the API course work was resident in AOCS so only ROTC and USNA guys went to API back in the day. Since all of the aviation specific stuff has been stripped from OCS everyone goes to API. So, it won't be just you OCS types at API. You will join with ROTC and USNA types for API.