• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone recommend a moving company?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Getting ready to PCS and personal property says we can request a specific moving company (or decline a specific company/mover).
I have the company I used last time, but that driver only does coast-to-coast moves and I'm going North-South. Are there any folks who would care to recommend a specific moving company/driver or would like to NOT recommend a specific moving company/driver?
You can PM me the details if you wish.

Thanks!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DMS did my move for the Company from Jax to Pax. Two seperate crews due to the first crew underestimating the size of the van needed - but that was their only real screwup. Otherwise, both crews were shit hot. On time, fast, professional, friendly, and nothing showed up broken at the other end. Compared to some of the mouth-breathers the Navy sent me over the years, they were rock stars.

phrogpilot73

The last move I had on AD (from Jacksonville, NC to Odenton, MD) was done by Atlantic Moving Systems of Wilmington, NC. Hands down the best move I've ever experienced. Professional crew that treated my stuff with respect and care. I had ZERO claims from that move, and the driver even left me a dolly and pads to help move stuff around the storage area...

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Avoid Guardian like the plague along with Reads Moving and Storage. Their packing was horrible. Broke stuff, didn't even bother to do their part in the claims process so now I have to deal with trying to get full repayment from DPS.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Avoid Guardian like the plague along with Reads Moving and Storage. Their packing was horrible. Broke stuff, didn't even bother to do their part in the claims process so now I have to deal with trying to get full repayment from DPS.

Concur - had a nasty experience with them as well . . . .

phrogpilot73

No matter what is said, I STILL can't say anything bad about Atlantic Moving Systems of Wilmington, NC. I don't care where/why you're moving. If I can request a mover - that's who I'm requesting. Nothing but good things to say. They clearly believe in free market principles and WANT their business to succeed...

Renegade One

None
Can't speak for getting here to there...but if you're ever coming out of Japan back to ...well, anywhere...take the day off, get some brews and a bucket of Popeye's from Yokota AB, and watch how Japanese movers lovingly pack all of your stuff...and build custom-fitted wooden gun cases for any of your firearms. That alone was almost worth the price of admission. Not responsive to your question, I know...sorry.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Can't speak for getting here to there...but if you're ever coming out of Japan back to ...well, anywhere...take the day off, get some brews and a bucket of Popeye's from Yokota AB, and watch how Japanese movers lovingly pack all of your stuff...and build custom-fitted wooden gun cases for any of your firearms. That alone was almost worth the price of admission. Not responsive to your question, I know...sorry.

R-1: careful now, you're inching ever closer to "threadjack" territory :)

robav8r

None
Contributor
Choosing a good moving company is an individual choice and your decision should be tailored to your desires and requirements. Therefore, you should try it by taking a word like “Please Banninate Me” and easily get the best moving company.

What does that dribble mean ???

Edit: Changed up the bold text, as not to feed the troll. - KBayDog

KBayDog

What does that dribble mean ???

It means:

banhammer.jpg

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
Well finished the move with Stevens Van Lines. So far, our worst move in 21 years! They called me 4 days before the load date to say they needed to move my load back a day (from Friday to Saturday). So, I'm on the phone for hours changing hotel reservations since we are now having to stick around an additional night.
So, on Friday morning at 0900 a truck shows up at my house even after the company reconfirmed on Friday at 0830 that the load-up was on Saturday!
The house was not finished being packed, so we are closing boxes while the movers are waiting to carry them out.

We start heading south and every phone conversation the company has stated delivery was on Monday 09 July. We keep asking the company for a phone number for the driver so we can communicate in the days leading up to delivery. The company keeps saying they don't have the info since they are the "coordinators" and the dispatch folks coordinate with the drivers, but they assure us, Monday 09 July is good to go.

On Friday 06 July in the afternoon we call again to get a phone number and the coordinator informs us that our delivery has been pushed back two days (Wednesday delivery). They never called us to tell us our delivery date had changed, we had to call them!!

I call Personal Property and they inform me that by contract all the movers have to do it get it to the destination city by the "no later than date". There is ZERO expectation that delivery will actually occur by the "no later date" so as I hate to say it was expected Personal Property Office was useless.

The packers and move itself was a little worse than my previous 10, but from the coordination side of the house Stevens was the worst yet. Pick someone else if you get the choice.

phrogpilot73

...words...
Quick question... Was your shit 2 months late? Were 4 boxes missing? Wash your washer/dryer fucked up? Did you have to help your mover with your couch, washer & dryer because his crew didn't show up? No?

Then it's not the worst military move ever. That would be mine when I moved to Pensacola.

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
Quick question... Was your shit 2 months late? Were 4 boxes missing? Wash your washer/dryer fucked up? Did you have to help your mover with your couch, washer & dryer because his crew didn't show up? No?

Then it's not the worst military move ever. That would be mine when I moved to Pensacola.

I'm by no means trying to say my move was the worst. The worst I have heard of was a buddy who's household good were in a couple of containers that "fell off the ship into the harbor" when he was coming back from Guam. He had to claim every thing he owned...

But since under the new system you can actually request (or specifically decline) a company when you apply for the move on-line, all I wanted to do was provide some feedback to the other folks here on AW that they want to avoid a company that provided horrible customer service.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Bumping this for another recommendation...

Anyone have someone they'd recommend moving out of San Diego? Preferably the less stealing/more gentle kind.