• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone read this article? "The Reality of OCS"

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Do you guys feel that OCS permanently changed your way of thinking, your daily routine, etc?
Thinking, no. But they do teach you some good habits that are worth keeping.

Also, 4 hours of sleep the ENTIRE time?
No, not the ENTIRE time. The only time that I had less than 4 hours sleep over multiple days was the week leading up to RLP. After that, the only excuse for getting less than 6 hours a night was having to stand watch. We had a small class, so that popped up a bit more often than others.

I have not been to OCS yet, but after learning about this guy's attitude I can't help recalling what a triathlete once said: "You can quit, and they won't care, but you will always know."

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
To tag on to everything that has been said many times before...

The most sleep you will ever get during the night is 7 hours (0500 Reveille, 1000 Taps) and 8.5 hours on Sunday when Reveille is 0630. I can remember a lot of 4 hour nights during OC phase honestly, or maybe those nights just stand out. When you get chow hall procedures times no-way-in-hell can these really be done in one night, than yea, you won't be getting much sleep. Add to that preparing for inspections, studying gouge, etc. and 4-5 hours of sleep/night happens fairly frequently. Anyhow I think someone already pointed out that this guy is just proof that OCS works and for those who haven't been, Indoc Week (now 3 weeks) is NOT what the majority of OCS will be like.

GreenLantern330

To tag on to everything that has been said many times before...

The most sleep you will ever get during the night is 7 hours (0500 Reveille, 1000 Taps) and 8.5 hours on Sunday when Reveille is 0630. I can remember a lot of 4 hour nights during OC phase honestly, or maybe those nights just stand out. When you get chow hall procedures times no-way-in-hell can these really be done in one night, than yea, you won't be getting much sleep. Add to that preparing for inspections, studying gouge, etc. and 4-5 hours of sleep/night happens fairly frequently. Anyhow I think someone already pointed out that this guy is just proof that OCS works and for those who haven't been, Indoc Week (now 3 weeks) is NOT what the majority of OCS will be like.

Wait, so Indoc Weeks is 3 weeks long?

GreenLantern330

I wish I had checked back for a reply before asking this in another thread. Haha oh well, that kinda sucks, but I guess it doesn't really make that big a difference what you're wearing.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The author seems a bit of a wanker. If you read his other blogs, he wanks about other things in life. He's got unreal expectations and when he experienced things he wasn't expecting, he quit.

There is a certain suck factor at OCS, but it's overall it is certainly passable. After awhile, folks adapt and it becomes normal. Some dudes aren't built for the military and OCS or any other accession program will weed them out (most of the time). OCS is a program designed to shake people from their usual routines, forcefully help them realize they aren't the center of the universe all while trying to install some military bearing along with some basic Navy schooling. That's all it is.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Poopies are the easiest uniform to change in and out of. Also means it's less time you'll be spending in an inspection uniform.

I can't imagine more than a week in them. After a week of wearing them (not to mention the decades of other poopies who wore them before us) we stank of balls and urine.... a combination of sweating in them for a week straight of constant PT, spilling food, orange juice and gatorade on them.... all of that dried together smells heinous. The candios could literally smell us coming....

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
This article is very biased. OCS had its sucky moments, but they werent all that bad.

Now to dispute the article. Taps occurs at 2200 and if you go to bed at that time and wake up at Revelie, which occurs at 0500 (PT will follow at 0530) you will get a full 7HR of sleep. And on Sundays Revelie occurs at 0615 so an extra hour and fifiteen minutes of sleep. I went to bed at Taps (So drained that, unless you are extremely stressed, you will sleep like a baby) most days, and the only night I only got two hours of sleep was the night before RLP. The push-up part during a PFA is also a lie, they will only take away push-ups or sit-ups, if they are jacked up, meaning they are all half assed. They DIs arent out to get anyone unless you are completelly jacked up. People in my class that got called out the most passed the RLP on the first attempt. Weak people on the other hand werent so luckly and there are always those that missed it by ONE or TWO point. They do that to see how well you recoup and get stuff in order for the next reinspect two days latter. If you stay strong and fold your isht right RLP is not so bad, but yeah make sure to be loud and viscious.....! I miss OCS sometimes. I had a possitive outlook and I made it out in the proper time. Candi-O phase is the worst as, depending on class team, the work load can be intense and the lack of sleep will be apparant. Thankfully by this stage coffee drinking is allowed...

In reference to something else; as for the "Indoc Week" now being 3 weeks long, its just a change in name, because the Poopy Suits wear is for only One Week. The new OCS still a changing animal as they are trying to figure it out. I was lucky and experienced the slightly harder OCS.

And excuse my gramatical errors... Its late!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Weak people on the other hand werent so luckly and there are always those that missed it by ONE or TWO point.

Sometimes the staff identifies people that just aren't prepared (i.e. really weak at PT) and they need an excuse to roll them back. They can't just do it for poor performance, so they fail that person. The funny thing is when a pretty good candidate fails by a point, the staff gets all pissed because it wasn't "supposed" to happen.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
This article is very biased. OCS had its sucky moments, but they werent all that bad.

Now to dispute the article. Taps occurs at 2200 and if you go to bed at that time and wake up at Revelie, which occurs at 0500 (PT will follow at 0530) you will get a full 7HR of sleep. And on Sundays Revelie occurs at 0615 so an extra hour and fifiteen minutes of sleep. I went to bed at Taps (So drained that, unless you are extremely stressed, you will sleep like a baby) most days, and the only night I only got two hours of sleep was the night before RLP. The push-up part during a PFA is also a lie, they will only take away push-ups or sit-ups, if they are jacked up, meaning they are all half assed. They DIs arent out to get anyone unless you are completelly jacked up. People in my class that got called out the most passed the RLP on the first attempt. Weak people on the other hand werent so luckly and there are always those that missed it by ONE or TWO point. They do that to see how well you recoup and get stuff in order for the next reinspect two days latter. If you stay strong and fold your isht right RLP is not so bad, but yeah make sure to be loud and viscious.....! I miss OCS sometimes. I had a possitive outlook and I made it out in the proper time. Candi-O phase is the worst as, depending on class team, the work load can be intense and the lack of sleep will be apparant. Thankfully by this stage coffee drinking is allowed...

In reference to something else; as for the "Indoc Week" now being 3 weeks long, its just a change in name, because the Poopy Suits wear is for only One Week. The new OCS still a changing animal as they are trying to figure it out. I was lucky and experienced the slightly harder OCS.

And excuse my gramatical errors... Its late!

Negative. It's around 2 weeks to a little more right now.