• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone read this article? "The Reality of OCS"

Lucy

Were you able to find the authors credentials? It seems to me he is picking out of some youtube videos he has seen, more so since he does not reference any resources in the writting. If you visit navyocs.com, and on this website, you will find those who feel that OCS is beyond what should be taught. But in general you will find those who have moved on and while they may not have enjoyed it, understand the purpose.

I wouldn't give this article, or it's author further thought, and move towards getting your selection to become a Naval Officer.

Best of Luck!

FastMover

NFO
None
Some of it is true to an extent, but I didn't feel that OCS was as bad as the article made it sound when I went through in 08. Nights with 4 hours of sleep weren't the norm (indoc not withstanding), and the only night that I didn't really sleep at all was the night before RLP. If you want it bad enough, OCS will just be a small bump in the road. During those long, sucky days there, just think of all the fun you're going to have in A-Pool.

A

AlexSmart

Wow, I was really close to posting this link last night. I agree, this sounds a little bit exaggerated. Obviously OCS is designed to get your ass in gear and they expect that there will be a few that don't make it, but I doubt that only a few people in each class graduate on time.

This might be appropriate to ask in the "stupid questions about OCS" thread.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
The author of that article is an idiot. He couldn't handle OCS, and he felt that he had to rationalize his failure to the whole world. He needs to get over it. And STFU.

nugget81

pilot
Just read part one and I'm not that impressed. It looks like it was written by someone who couldn't hack it and hated every minute of it all. Was OCS fun - no way in hell. Was it funny as hell sometimes? You bet! There are some discrepancies about how OCS operates in his writing, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to address them. OCS is physically demanding, more so mentally. As has been said before - the quickest way out of OCS is to graduate (and yes it can easily be done with your original class - 2/3 of my class made it through with no problems.)

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
I've read it before, and I concede that I have not (yet) been to OCS, but I got the impression that it was just someone who wasn't cut out for it as well. He seems to be trying to rationalize why he didn't make it through, but there's no shame in the fact that it's not for everyone. He says on the first page, "If you wanted to be in the military so badly, chances are you would already have done it." I like to think that if you wanted to be in the military so bad, you would nut up and make it through OCS. Having the skills is huge, having the desire is essential. Just my (mostly unqualified) opinion, though.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
His writing is just a bunch of random bullet points. So strike one for lack of a cohesive thought. Strike two is that most of his stuff is outdated. Strike three is that it sounds like he was a DOR. As a matter of fact, he sounds like one of the whiny bitches who could never pass RLP and always told you people had it out for him. Unfortunately, I had to deal a lot with Student Pool as a CandiO. EVERY ONE of them had some excuse as to why they were a non-hack. I just nodded and smiled.

To prospective candidates, disregard the dribble this guy is putting out. He may tangentially get some things right, but he never finished OCS and is not qualified in the slightest to speak to its merits. OCS sucks indeed, and when you're there it seems like time cannot move any slower, but it's part of your path to becoming a Naval Officer. Go there with a never quit attitude, shut the hell up, do as your told, keep your head down, and you'll do fine. Most of the junk you'll mentally block out, and hopefully you'll have a sick enough sense of humor to actually enjoy yourself at times.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So what he is basically saying is that you are going to be uncomfortable for a few weeks. Big effing deal. What a whiner...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This article has been posted on AW before and discussed. Just read the comments below the article. Obviously the author (a Mr.) didn't make it through and was bitter about the program. Most of what he said is accurate, some is not. HOWEVER, he views it all as a negative. It isn't just haphazardly put together. It is a VERY carefully controlled program very particularly designed for an end-goal. The stressors and evolutions are carefully thought out.

And by the way... I didn't "miss the train" by any stretch by going to OCS... I thought BDCP was far better than ROTC. Just me...

AnonymousGuy

None
This guy is just someone that couldn't make it, and they are pissed off at themselves for pussing out. They hide that by making up BS excuses as to why they couldn't do it, and they make ridiculous statements about how barely anyone gets through with their original class (yeah right). I would completely disregard everything this guy says.

No, I have not yet been to OCS, but I compare is slightly with Navy enlisted bootcamp, which I did in 04. Before I went to bootcamp, I heard all these horror stories about how terrible it was, and how time will go so slowly, and you'll question if you made the right decision, you'll barely sleep, you'll be beat down (PT) until you can't stand, etc. I heard all that before I left, just like I do for OCS...and I can honestly say bootcamp wasn't really THAT bad.

In our minds, I think we build it up as some huge thing that is going to extremely terrible...but the reality is, if you just suck it up, do as instructed, and don't give up...then you'll be perfectly fine. That's my 2 cents anyway. It's only 13 weeks, one can do ANYTHING for 13 weeks.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
OCS isn't even comparable to enlisted boot camp, mentally or physically. (I went through in 01') I don't even remember exercising in boot camp. Its quite a bit more intense than boot camp, prepare yourself. It sucks, but difinitely do-able.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I read this and at times began to smile. In fact his over the top whining makes me want to go even more than I did before and I find that hard to believe.

Oh…. My legs hurt…. They won’t let me eat unless I do it the way they want…. I have to stand for a long time.... I have to stare at things and can’t look at the pretty blue sky! BOOOHOOO…. STOP YELLING AT ME!!!!

HAHAHAHAA!!! That is awesome... That is mainly what I got out of the article... I wonder how he would have done in SERE school if he had to go... LOL....