• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone processing for Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

navyjeff94

Final Select for Supply - 23 Apr 05 class
The NAMI site is back up and there was a link to request scores by email. They can mail or fax. They faxed mine to me today. I ended up with a 42. For supply, the competitive score is at least a 40. My package is going to CNRC today and hopefully will get reccommended (whenever the board convenes).

In the interim, I am going to restudy the ARCO books and plan on retesting in November.

If anyone has any info about what the board may be looking for please post your input. I'll take any info I can.

INDY500

I am seeing my recruiter on Wednesday to complete my package and send. I applied for Intel and Supply. Good Luck NavyJeff.

ducam23

Supply Corps - BDCP 2007
When the board meets is the million dollar question everyone wants to know but no one seems to have the answer to. So the best educated guess would be the boards are meeting this week, next week or the week after that since it is now the new fiscal year. I am waiting on my Final Select for Supply and I am guessing I will hear back sometime this week. (At least I hope I do)

I got a 52 OAR and that is close to the minimum that accepted people have. Also I guess your major will have some affect on selection, I am a computer science and I beleive I have a better shot then business majors so as to diversify the Supply Corps. At least that's the gouge I've been getting.

Looey

navyjeff94 said:
The NAMI site is back up and there was a link to request scores by email. They can mail or fax. They faxed mine to me today. I ended up with a 42. For supply, the competitive score is at least a 40. My package is going to CNRC today and hopefully will get reccommended (whenever the board convenes).

In the interim, I am going to restudy the ARCO books and plan on retesting in November.

If anyone has any info about what the board may be looking for please post your input. I'll take any info I can.

I was told by my recruiter that to be considered competitive you should have an OAR of at least 50. I took my test on Sept 23 and my scores were returned to me Oct 3. I was pleased with the speed that my test was processed but I only scored a 48. I plan to retest ASAP and hopefully I get something higher than a 50.

Does anyone know if its harder or easier to be selected as an Air Force Aquisitions Officer compared with Naval Suply Officer?

navyjeff94

Final Select for Supply - 23 Apr 05 class
My undergrad was Business Management and my MBA was in Strategic Management. I also have nine years prior naval service. I'm told that all of this will be taken in consideration. The only thing that might slow me down is my score. I'm going to wait and see. If I don't get recommended, I have a pretty good idea where to start.

Looey said:
Does anyone know if its harder or easier to be selected as an Air Force Aquisitions Officer compared with Naval Suply Officer?

You do not want to be an Air Force aquisitions officer if you have a chance to be a Chop. A JO in the Air Force does not get anywhere near the experience and responsibility that I am currently enjoying as an Ensign in the Supply Corps. I have nearly 70 people under me in five divisions and millions of dollars in budgets. I love going to work everyday. Ask an Air Force recruiter if they can offer you that.

Not to mention you would miss out on Athens, granted the school sucks, but what a town.

Wolfpack

Curious, what are you doing (job) as an Ensign? Are you currently on a sea tour? I will be coming down the pipeline soon and any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Looey

Supply Officer advancement

I was curious as to how quickly the average supply officer progresses through pay grades. Can anyone provide some info?

Looey said:
I was curious as to how quickly the average supply officer progresses through pay grades. Can anyone provide some info?

I just happen to have seen the numbers for this at a detailer road show the other day =)

Right now you make o-2 in two years, o-3 in 4 years. Those ones are automatic. The average time from o-1 to o-4 is 9 yr 1 mo and there is a 90% promotion rate to o-4 (best in the fleet) I think the o-5 time frame was 15 yrs. Again, it was the best in the fleet. o-6 was a little over 21 years, but I don't think you need to worry about that one just yet.

Wolfpack said:
Curious, what are you doing (job) as an Ensign? Are you currently on a sea tour? I will be coming down the pipeline soon and any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I am with a Seabee battalion. I am doing Disbursing, Postal, Barracks, Food Service, Ship's Store, Warehousing, etc... Name a supply function and I am involved in it. Life is good as a butter bar.

FlyingMonkey

Supply?

Hey guys,

I'm a prior AT2 w/ 4 yrs. in. I'm about to get dual degrees in Accounting and Finance w/ a good GPA. I talked to an officer recruiter who said that I would most likely be selected for supply if I decided to come back in and go the officer route. I was just wondering about what kind of duties a supply officer is assigned. I remember seeing officers during UNREPs and whatnot from my time at sea, and just don't want to end up supervising sailors while they count pallets of cotton swabs or something. It's a serious question and I intend no offense to anyone.

FlyingPorkChop

There is no other designator, community or program in the Navy that affords such a wide variety of career paths, or has its members in such a diverse array of jobs.

The school is not hard -- they'll try and scare you, so be warned -- and you'll make lifelong friends.

Along with Intel, this is one of the only communities that is actually GROWING. We are the only Staff Corps ( I believe) that has TWO THREE STAR Admirals.

What's best is that, when you see another chop, chances are she/he will greet you like an old friend, from the first time you meet. I've been flagged down in the pway by officers as high as CAPT just to welcome me to a new duty station.

CEC? Laying guys off. Not hiring as many.
PAO? Tough times in this community wrt to billets, it's said.

You'll get a fairish amount of ribbing from other officers, at least until you demonstrate that you're approximately 300X smarter than they are. :p :icon_tong And as for the troops, I have never had a rating treat me with other than respect. A chop can take a guy to Mast in exactly the same fashion as any other zero. There is no differentiation here.

R, VR FPC

FlyingMonkey

good info

That's good stuff to know. I was just wondering if you would get worse treatment due do that fact that you weren't an unrestricted line officer.

FlyingPorkChop

In some ways it's been reported to me that you are treated "worse."

One of my colleagues says "you're invited to the party, but no one asks you to dance." Note that he is an OIC in a Supply unit: in other words, he works with a group where the ONLY officers are chops (example: Cargo Handling Batallion). He told me that officers from non-Supply units can have some disdain for us.

I've never observed this. I work in a joint command and regularly interract with every type of officer from dolphin to SEAL, and I have, through competence (I hope), earned the respect and camraderie of these guys.

There IS a certain awkwardness about SOME of the chops out there. Many are guys who had to withdraw from other communities owing to physical challenges -- poor eyesight being one of the top reasons. However, you'll be stunned by the quality of most of the folk, and by the list of distinguished alum (David Robinson being only one, Regis being another). Also, one of the high-profile frigates out there has a 6'5'' former Navy lineman as her SUPPO. I wouldn't be quick to generalize.

I love it, though. I was a DIVO from the minute I put on my bar and was essentially the XO of a small shore unit while still an O1. We tend to have bright officers and without doubt we have the best career path of any designator. I feel that my chances of making at least O6 are excellent.

I once had a superior explain to me why she was head of the Supply Dept (contrary to Navy instructions, and it was later corrected) and a qualified chop in our unit was not. She said "_I_ am an officer of the UNRESTRICTED LINE," as though I should fall on my knees, clasp my hands together and proclaim "hallelujah!" Unfortunately, the statement had the opposite effect, and I unwisely allowed a brief bark of laughter to sound (I thought she was kidding -- she wasn't :()

You see, I've seen too many URL officers manning an administrative station to be too overawed by the designation.

No other designator can run with the SEALs, build with the SeaBees, serve at sea, command ashore, do contracting and sales, run a supply chain outfit, procurement, be eligible for four warfare pins (aviation, surface, sub, CB warfare) etc etc.

Ummm...wow. All this time I should have been working.

R, VR FPC
^- is Ready for Sea!

FlyingMonkey said:
That's good stuff to know. I was just wondering if you would get worse treatment due do that fact that you weren't an unrestricted line officer.

FlyingMonkey

That's good to know. I'm told that supply is pretty much what I'll get since I'm an accounting/finance major. I still have to take the qual tests and all that before I can do anything really. It's good to know that you all find your jobs interesting and challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.