• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone know schedules of OCS Pcola??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithS

Kenjamin17, are the dates that you posted for Xmas break 100% accurate? i'm just curious because my in-laws are trying to plan a trip for my wife and I. My start date at OCS is Nov 10.

SmithS

Kenjamin17, nevermind, I went to that website you posted. I talked to my recruiter and he said that if we left for all those days then you would definitely incur a negative balance. But I asked what we'd do if we stayed on base and he said we'd probably just sit there since the whole base shuts down so who knows what will happen. I guess we'll find out when we get there.

cuculeis

im wondering if when they say that you cant stay, they are refering to the "free lodging" at OCS? now if one decides to not take the entire leave...im just thinking that they may have to pay to stay at either the barracks or the navylodge? if so, it may be beneficial to see how much one will need to pay daily for the room? being active duty enlisted, i know the way they determine what you will have to pay "prior to commissioning" to make up for the other days of leave you have not earned. basically they divide your base pay by the days in the month (30 or 31)...and since most of you guys will be getting E-5 pay, your daily rate is not a whole lot. it may be less than actually paying for navylodge or a hotel room...something to think about. im just glad i have over 40 days in the books...(being active duty does have its perks...anyone want to borrow some?) sam

kenjamin17

Yeah, thats a real good point sam. i guess i'll be getting around 1500/mo which is about 50 a day. and if i come home i got my mom's food which after some quick math.. is worth $52.43 per day. so I'm booking my flights for a 2 week vacation baby! in the long run the money ain't gunna make a difference in my life but coming will be nice.

cuculeis

i think in most instances, going home for the entire 2 weeks would be more beneficial anyway...and like you said, after saving money for the last 3 months-money wont really be an issue. sam

jjitaly2001

I think we have to leave to. My order provide a start date and a graduation date. The dates add up...13 weeks plus the break. You're right though. They say you ahve to go, but they suggest that you shouldn't go in the hole with leave.

I have a comment on that as well. I'm currently enlisted and have a substantial leave balance anyway. But, all of you who are going to OCS have to obligate 4 years. In that time, you will accumulate 30 leave days per year. Yes, you'll be in the hole at first, but you'll soon be out of the hole, as you accumulate 2.5 days per month. Why on earth would they make you pay for that leave that you'll burn while in OCS, especially if they are not giving you the option to NOT take the leave? It doesn't seem right to tell everyone to go home, then charge them at the end to bring their leave balance up to 0. Now, if they are giving you the option to come back wo as not to go in the hole, thenno problem. I suppose that could be the case. Any thoughts on this?

dcstruble

Leave in the Navy is a funny topic. You get 30 days per year and you can't request leave on a Monday without counting the weekend prior or after if still off on a Friday. Anything outside your assigned radius (~250 miles) or anything involving a commercial flight requires leave. You will go negative after OCS if you take your 10-30 optional days, but you will have few opportunities to take leave while in training.

I wouldn't be suprised if they charged you to leave OCS but I wasn't there during the holidays. Follow the gouge if you want, but "Live by the gouge, die by the gouge." One thing is for sure - the only way to buy airline tickets in advance and not get burned is to have an approved leave chit with your name on it from your command at the time of your leave. If you're not in the Navy yet, you obviously can't get one yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.