• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone know E-6's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAC01

I was curious about the E-6/ TACAMO community. Are NFO's on that plane and do people who fly it like the mission and the plane itself? What's the career path look like? Just curious, thanks for any feedback.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
To answer your question: Yes, there are NFO's on E-6's. As far as the mission, hopefully you never have to do it for real. They basically do command and control in the event of a war where ground control might be compromised. It's a big thing. In order to get there you need to select maritime out of Primary in the NFO community. Once you get to Randolph in San Antonio you will either select P-3's or E-6's. Usually, there is at least one E-6 slot per class but as you probably know that isn't absolute. What's great about E-6's is that you know exactly where you are going to be...Oklahoma City. You will be at Tinker Air Force Base for your entire operational career. As far as your career options, you will be fine up to o-4 but after that it gets blurry. There aren't that many E-6 squadrons (2 I think) so command billets are few and far between. If you are looking to make the Navy a career, I would suggest trying for something like Hornets or E-2's...They are going to be around forever. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There aren't that many E-6 squadrons (2 I think) so command billets are few and far between. If you are looking to make the Navy a career, I would suggest trying for something like Hornets or E-2's...They are going to be around forever. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

A common misconception with smaller communities you have less of a chance at command. This is not necessarily true all the time. The number of command slots is in proportion ot the size of the actual community. You have just as much of a chance to get squadron command in VQ as you do in VP, there are roughly the same number of officers in a squadorn of each (EP-3 squadrons are a little bigger, but not by much). The biggest reason that a Hornet guy would have a better chance at command is because there are fewer officers per squadron, 18-20 in VFA vs 60-70 in VP. As far as I know, E-6 squadrons are the roughly the same size as P-3 squadron.

E-6 guys also have their own wing and as a result, their own Commodore. That is a guaranteed O-6 command slot for the community. EP-3's are under the VP wings (boooo....hissssss.....) and do not have an O-6 command slot.

BTW, I know a few E-6 guys and they said it was really boring. Reaaalllly boring.

saltpeter

I'm not sure if they've done it yet, but in the future they have discussed taking nav's directly from primary and sending they to the TACAMO FRS (VQ-7). That would me an NFO gets winged after spending about a month at VQ-7. Also, there is no longer a need for an navigator on the plane, at one time this job was delegated to the engineer (Chief), so NFO's will go directly to the a** end of the plane to start preparing for the ACO syllabus (Airborne Communications Officer).
To fully explain the job face your chair at a blank wall and stare at it for several hours. Following that, walk into another room and pretend it's a small building with 18 other guys, pull up a chair and stare at another blank wall for several hours, if this sounds interesting apply within. I'm kidding - TACAMO deployments are short but frequent which makes wives or husbands very happy. As for excitment, maybe yes maybe no, it depends on what you make of it, one could say that flying around in circles trying to conserve gas while protecting the carrier is boring, but alot of F-14 guys did this - would you say that there job was boring?

Physicx

Banned
If family life it what you want go E-6.Everyone that I have talked to loves it.Deployments were two weeks on two weeks off.They usually stage to Travis or Omaha.

bigmouth

You know I don't speak Spanish!
Jac01,

As a Fordham Alumni I'll help you out on this one. If you don't want to be moving around a lot, and you don't mind Oklahoma, then E-6's are a good idea. And of course, if you like going on short detachments.

I have heard lots of bad things, though. Read other links and they'll explain it in detail. The mission is boring. You get to travel all the time, but rarely oversees. AND, and this is a big and...you'll be gone 200 days a year. You're always on call too.
How this is good for a family life is beyond me.

Good luck.

Physicx

Banned
I was wrong about deployments.Here is a pm a E-6 pilot sent me.They are not gone 200 days a years and there not on call.

1. I absolutely have loved the 3-years I have flown the E-6 as a JO.
2. I do miss flying at higher AOB and pulling G's.
3. I am married, and it has been so EASY to keep the wife happy... I average 3 weeks on the road, then 7 weeks back. As soon as you are sick of the *****, you go on the road, when you are ready to go back to yer' wife, you fly home.... Perfect.
4. I hate the Air Forse influence... especially that I got my wings at and AF base in 2001.
5. I have, in three years,
- Been to Stuttgart, Germany for Oktoberfest... TWICE
- Been to England twice, once for the international Air Tattoo... amazing!
- Every month, I stop in some spot in the country for some hard shore leave... heavy drinking ensues!
- I lead 18 crewmembers on my 250$ million jet, what responsibility!!

OVERALL: I ABSOLUTELY HAVE LOVED FLYING E-6s.

It's the best deal in the Navy... TACAMO!

unfUSN

E6 Fo

I am almost through the newest version of the E6 FO RAG... feel free to email if you have any more questions about the E6...

LTjg Payne

USAdefender

GO STATE!!!
I'm also looking into being an NFO on the E-6's. How does it rotate for tours since obviously your first tour is a shore tour in Oklahoma? Do you ever have to go to sea? It's fine if I had to just wondering though.

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
The plane is only based out of Tinker in Oklahoma City. Your first fleet tour there (after you get your wings, and then go to the FRS/Rag also in Oklahoma City) is 3 years, that IS a "sea tour" because you are in an operational squadron. You will be in Oklahoma City for at least your first sea tour, and then if you're still in to be a Dept. Head you'll be back because that's the only place the plane is located. Your first tour is not a shore tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.