• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone know anything about METOC?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Ok, I doubt I'll get much of an answer, but I wanted to give it a shot.

Can anyone tell me anything about the Meterology and Oceanography Officer community? There isn't much info out there

I'm imagining it involves a lot of dark rooms and watching OS's crank out wind and sea-state data from super computers. I'm curious if there's any possibility for field work.

Thanks

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Former METOC...

Attachments

• brick_fantastic.jpg
    brick_fantastic.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 33

jmwilson

Last I heard you can only transfer in, usuallly from SWO after getting warfare quals. I believe they are changing from ship-based assignments to a central land-based control center setup.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Last I heard you can only transfer in, usuallly from SWO after getting warfare quals. I believe they are changing from ship-based assignments to a central land-based control center setup.

And that has turned the process of getting a simple -1 into a huge cluster-fvck. Worst idea ever.

Brett

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
We had a brief on the METOC community by a former SWO turned METOC O.

It seemed interesting if you're into weather, like REALLY really into the weather. I think the guy made it sound more exciting than it was though to be honest. Nonetheless, I imagine they have to play a pretty important role in getting wx info to the fleet.

surferb

I'm pretty sure that if you get accepted directly into METOC (without a warfare qual), that they'll send you straight to a ship for a normal SWO JO tour. I know that you arrange this through a METOC detailer. It's my understanding that you need to "apply" with some paper to exercise your METOC option (like EDO). For EDO, you can simply take a 2nd tour SWO JO tour and you'll find yourself a SWO...I believe that exercising the METOC option is similar. UPDATE - this is correct. It's called the "Ocean Officer Option" and details can be found in Milpersman 1212 (how many times have you heard that one)?

I'm not sure about the specifics of their schools, but I know that they strongly support grad school at a certain point, especially NPS.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On my summer cruise this year I had an AG running mate and the three officers I encountered in the METOC community didn't start as METOC officers. One was an LDO and the other two were SWO lat transfers.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
I have a friend who is a Met officer in Slydell right now working at the nasa center. She was an avaition attrite, never was a swo. She does a lot of field work and when they go on "deployment" they stay in hotels and go out during the day on RHIBs collecting data. Ill ask her more about it next time i see her.

Rubiks06

pilot
The best i can do for you is tell you that the METOC community does not just do "Weather". I majored in oceanography at school and almost all of my professors were Metoc types. They ranged from weather forcasters to near shore analysts. Whoever posted earlier about them going to one central hub was kind of in the ball park they are trying to consolidate to Norfolk but they are still going to be deployed and they can be deployed with many different services. There is weather in everything in the navy. Aviation, SWO, SUB, Marine and SEALS all use the METOC guys. So there are certainly many different duty options. There are a couple billets for the METOC guys to deploy with the SEAL teams. So there. If you have specific questions go ahead and PM me if i cant answer them ill hook you up with someone who can.