• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone in Stuttgart?

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Orders (finally!) came and we are headed to Stuttgart! Anyone who is currently there or was there?

I'm not sure I have any specific questions just yet, but anything anyone can tell me would be wonderful. I'm super excited, though the prospect of back-to-back OCONUS is a bit daunting.

Lawman

None
Im stationed in Illesheim so Germany specific questions I can do. All Ive done in Stuttgart is visit the Porsche and Mercedes museums and get drunk as hell downtown.

MasterBates

My last CO was there at AFRICOM. He loved it and will never shut up about how superior German culture/towns/cars/food is to the USA

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Im stationed in Illesheim so Germany specific questions I can do. All Ive done in Stuttgart is visit the Porsche and Mercedes museums and get drunk as hell downtown.

What's the general quality of life like? How difficult is it to navigate life there? (We're coming from Japan and the language and cultural barriers have been rough at times, and I'm wondering if it will be a bit easier in Germany.)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Orders (finally!) came and we are headed to Stuttgart! Anyone who is currently there or was there?

I'm not sure I have any specific questions just yet, but anything anyone can tell me would be wonderful. I'm super excited, though the prospect of back-to-back OCONUS is a bit daunting.

Sounds like a neat gig to me, some would kill for consectutive tours OCONUS (at decent places). At least Stuttgart doesn't get underway at 'O dawn-thirty' for 8 mos.;)

What's goin' dow militarily in Stuttgart anyway?:confused:
BzB

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Sounds like a neat gig to me, some would kill for consectutive tours OCONUS (at decent places). At least Stuttgart doesn't get underway at 'O dawn-thirty' for 8 mos.;)

What's goin' dow militarily in Stuttgart anyway?:confused:
BzB

Primarily I think it's EUCOM and AFRICOM there. We're definitely excited about Stuttgart, and hoping that the job is decent hours for him.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's the general quality of life like? How difficult is it to navigate life there? (We're coming from Japan and the language and cultural barriers have been rough at times, and I'm wondering if it will be a bit easier in Germany.)

Having been to both countries I can tell you that the cultural and language barriers are A LOT lower in Germany. Most Germans know some English and most who do are more likely to use it than the French that do though using some German with most gets you a little further. The culture is a lot more familiar with some major differences though not the huge gulf that you find with Japanese culture, it is definitely very 'western' versus 'eastern'. There are a lot more foreigners around in Germany which helps with the tolerance and I got the sense they were more accommodating in Japan where I felt like I was just tolerated in many places, maybe that was me though?! ;) And if you get sick of Germany it is a lot easier to travel around Europe than escaping Japan, riding the rails is very easy and convenient.

I know a few folks in Stuttgart and the HQs and while most work hard there is definitely a different climate when it comes to work than you usually find stateside, usually a bit more relaxed. It can be office dependent but that is the general climate with most encouraging their office mates who are only there for a 2-3 year tour to enjoy it and see Europe, longer vacations are normal in the summer months. If you end up losing leave while there you are doing something wrong.

I have to say though I am impressed, how much time have you all spent in CONUS since TRACOM? Coming back to the states might be a shock to you all after so much time overseas.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Having been to both countries I can tell you that the cultural and language barriers are A LOT lower in Germany. Most Germans know some English and most who do are more likely to use it than the French that do though using some German with most gets you a little further. The culture is a lot more familiar with some major differences though not the huge gulf that you find with Japanese culture, it is definitely very 'western' versus 'eastern'. There are a lot more foreigners around in Germany which helps with the tolerance and I got the sense they were more accommodating in Japan where I felt like I was just tolerated in many places, maybe that was me though?! ;) And if you get sick of Germany it is a lot easier to travel around Europe than escaping Japan, riding the rails is very easy and convenient.

I know a few folks in Stuttgart and the HQs and while most work hard there is definitely a different climate when it comes to work than you usually find stateside, usually a bit more relaxed. It can be office dependent but that is the general climate with most encouraging their office mates who are only there for a 2-3 year tour to enjoy it and see Europe, longer vacations are normal in the summer months. If you end up losing leave while there you are doing something wrong.

I have to say though I am impressed, how much time have you all spent in CONUS since TRACOM? Coming back to the states might be a shock to you all after so much time overseas.

He was Stateside for 3 sets of orders post-FRS. I think it was about 8.5 years CONUS (all in San Diego) before we headed to Japan (which was not something he asked for, though Germany was definitely by request).

OCONUS is just the 2.5 years here (we'll leave a few months shy of that) and then 36 months (though I'm told most end up only doing 24-30) in Germany. So it will end up being about 5 years total OCONUS.

After that, I think I'll be ready for a little stateside time.

BlkPny

pilot
I spent two years in Stuttgart at EUCOM, located at Patch Barracks. Absolutely great location. Easy access to skiing in Bavaria, switzerland, and Austria. Short drive to Black Forest, and Strasberg. Easy connection for short flights to all of Europe.

PM sent

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

Both EUCOM and AFRICOM are Army-sponsored commands, so expect to do most things the "Army way".
Be prepared to say; "why the hell do we have to do it that way.... that makes no sense" A LOT.

But on the plus side, depending on your job, be prepared for some good travel while stationed there!!
Most folks loved it. The ones who hated it were mostly due to personality conflicts with their superiors.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
At least with English characters, it's a lot easier to negotiate the language barrier. In Japan, it's a lot harder trying to get someone to write something down, and then telling the cabby to "Take me to the waffle symbol, backward dollar sign, upside down 4".

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
At least with English characters, it's a lot easier to negotiate the language barrier. In Japan, it's a lot harder trying to get someone to write something down, and then telling the cabby to "Take me to the waffle symbol, backward dollar sign, upside down 4".

When giving directions to Yokosuka, people refer to "limp dick, triple stick, tic-tac-toe" and as soon as you see it, you know exactly what they are referring to.