• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

anyone heard this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So help me out here - are you guys saying the O-Course - the one by the sea wall at NASP is NO MORE? That's crazy.

So there is no physical training standards in API anymore? What about boxing? Is that gone too?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
No, There is no boxing here now...I did however see the API class ahead of mine playing volleyball the other day...

They throw in Cardio/lift/circut workouts into the morning routine every once in a while to go along with the "graded" swimming events, but other then that, its the initial PRT (a lot of the time its not done on the XC trail, but the track)- but that doesn't count towards Navy SNA NSS anymore anyways.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
No, There is no boxing here now...I did however see the API class ahead of mine playing volleyball the other day...
Man I cannot BELIEVE this. But then again you are talking about students that are officers and therefor have completed a commissioning track that included intense physical training standards - so I can see where the Schools Command folks were coming from.

My fondest memory from API in the summer of 1986 was practicing the O-course one early morning, sweaty, mouth full of sand, and then looking overhead and seeing at no more than 200 feet AGL, the diamond formation of Blue Angels A-4's streaking overhead.

Now as far as boxing goes - the whole idea behind it was to instill a culture of aggressiveness in Naval Aviation. Don't get me wrong, I totally sucked at the boxing phase - and was pummled in our class boxing smoker by the former captain of the Naval Acedemy rugby team.

I guess the boxing isn't very PC and the fact that it is no longer part of the training of future Naval Aviators sends the wrong message IMHO.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
Man I cannot BELIEVE this. But then again you are talking about students that are officers and therefor have completed a commissioning track that included intense physical training standards - so I can see where the Schools Command folks were coming from...

Now as far as boxing goes - the whole idea behind it was to instill a culture of aggressiveness in Naval Aviation.

HA,

No real instilling of a culture of aggression in the age of super ORM. If anything, Id say that the oposite is happening. I mean, we aren't allowed to go boating, skiing, flying, ATV'ing, diving or participate in any other "Extreme" sport without being fully rated and qualified to do so (ie license) have filled out an ORM sheet, gone over it with the chain of command, and gotten a waiver that allows us to participate in it. When we go out, we are "required to have a 'designated care taker'"...

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
we're supposed to be aggressive? damn, I thought we were supposed to have meetings, talk about our feelings, and not bend the plane!

Seems like aggression isn't too well thought of any more. I sure wish they'd had boxing or some sort of HtoH combat training.

Status
Not open for further replies.