• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

anyone heard this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

semperfido

hey guys, i just checked into MATSG here at NAS pensacola (HOORAH!) and i'm wating for api to start. i heard that the navy is going to use the o-course again in api and theyre going to use it to develp a cutoff to attrite people. has anyone else heard this? i doubht it would apply to Marines, but i'm curious.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I haven't heard anything about it, and none of my friends have mentioned it to me (yet). You'll soon realize that the NASC schoolhouse is a large rumor mill, and isn't always very accurate. Even the flight management people give bad info sometimes so check your sources, don't believe everything you hear- or only believe parts of it.
That being said, they always seem to be looking for new ways to attrite '04 navy SNAs so it wouldn't surprise me if they kicked that idea around once.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
The problem in API is that most of the people giving the info/rumors are attrited or NPQ'd students. Not the best source of reliable info. And as the saying goes, if you dont hear a rumor by noon, start one yourself.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Regardless, the Navy needs to bring back the O'course and boxing. Not that they really have anything to do with flying, it was just fun :)

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Is the O-Course still at NASP? I've been here since June and I haven't seen anything even remotely resembling an O-course. Is it tucked away somewhere off the beaten path? I'd like to run it just for fun.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Haven't heard that from any of my friends down there... but like Pat said, first I've seen a Marine slinging Navy rumors... could be true.

semperfido

i dont know, i just overheard it from a captain working at MATSG. not sure why they were talkin about it, but thats what i got.

flynsail

pilot
It wouldn't make sense that they would use the O-course as a method to attrite more SNAs. The reason for me saying that is because they recently removed the 6% from the PRT that was applied to the API NSS. The API NSS is strictly based on academics now. If the O-course was going to be used as another method to attrite some of us, why do away with the 6% from the PRT?

When the CO briefed us after X-mas break, about the new attrition policy, he mentioned that there were worse alternatives they had considered to reach the attrition goal. If they really need to reach the attrition goal fast, they can do that without using the O-course as a means of disposing of some SNAs; they simply resort to the alternatives they previously considered. "I'm thinking of a number..."

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Patmack18 said:
If you've done any running around NASP you can't miss it. It's at the west end of the sea wall, next to (I think) the SAR school. Just run down the sea wall to the end, and hang the last right, there it is.

Pre-Ivan I used to run in that area (O-club, chip trail, Fort) I guess I just missed it. The area around sea wall was off limits after Ivan, I wonder if it's been reopened. I'll check it out on Monday and see if the O-Course survived. It will be interesting to see how many A-poolers will be there timing themselves.

Mcaf

I find that rumors tend to be true more often than not. We always figured that sometimes a rumor might get started then the command hears it, and says "Hey, that's a good idea!" :icon_wink

The Iraq/Afghanistan rumors appear to be true. My roommate is in the "gettin out of the navy" pool, and said a guy has orders to Afghanistan as an Information officer for 6 months then he'll be IRAD'd (my roomate actually asked to do this but the detailer said he is too far into the getting out process). They are only giving those orders to people who DOR not the attrite guys. Please take with a grain of salt as the Navy changes daily, this policy could be canned tomorrow.

Also, the reason they stoppped counting the PRT is most people would have attrited without it. Most people (according to CDR) would have say a 39.5 NSS and then the PRT would put them above the 42.5 NSS. They decided it helped people more than hurt, and they will have none of that! I think the O-course would do nothing but hurt people so it seems to be a very viable option.

WannaBEaP3gal

Yeah... the O-course is being used to attrite people... oh and don't forget the cock fighting too, if your chicken loses you're screwed!

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
Gents and gals, don't be scared by the O-Course, I was stashed in API for a while due to an injury and I can't remember hardly any attrites for the O-Course. Only thing that comes to mind was small females having a hard time but they were rolled and put on a strength program, if you can pass the "x-country" PRT you should have little or no probblem with it.
By coincidence in my API calss during the timed test a USAF guy broke his leg jumping over the short wall, the USAF saw no purpose to the O-Course and brought up the issue and the course was closed down for API, don't know if it was ever used after that, that was summer '97.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cyclic said:
Gents and gals, don't be scared by the O-Course, I was stashed in API for a while due to an injury and I can't remember hardly any attrites for the O-Course. Only thing that comes to mind was small females having a hard time but they were rolled and put on a strength program, if you can pass the "x-country" PRT you should have little or no probblem with it.
By coincidence in my API calss during the timed test a USAF guy broke his leg jumping over the short wall, the USAF saw no purpose to the O-Course and brought up the issue and the course was closed down for API, don't know if it was ever used after that, that was summer '97.
When we were doing to O-course in OCS, the first guy to go over the very first obstacle (short wall I think) fell and broke his arm or something. Bad times.

Brett

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Cyclic said:
If you can pass the "x-country" PRT you should have little or no probblem with it.

Guess what, that's gone too. My class ran it on the track.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
They didn't use the O-course when i did OCS three years ago. It was closed down due to lead based paint or some such trash and even so it hadn't been used for some time as a gradable item. I did get to run it, however, as our DI thought it would be cool (and it was way cool). The PT at API was a joke when i went throught. When i did API you had to put more effort into getting attrited than you would studying if you wanted to pass. With people failing FOUR tests (out of, what, 8?) and still going on to primary, there was no way anybody would get booted for poor PT. I'm glad to see the standards are changing (or rather, standards being implemented).

Status
Not open for further replies.