• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone have the official navy male prt standards? + How to schedule a PRT?

I find your numbers to be very low (read pathetic). Now, I know that sounds discouraging, but it shouldn't. Let's just say, you have a lot of upside. You need to focus on a few key areas: diet, exercise, rest, and discipline.

No single element will be enough. Eat healthy and eat often. You should be constantly supplying your body with energy. Again, this doesn't mean you should be splurging. Think small meals. Your snacks should center around fruits and vegetables. You can throw in some whole grains as well, but try and save those for your larger meals. Do not supplant soda with gatorade. Instead, replace it with water. Gatorade, like soda, has lots of sugar. It can be an excellent supplement, but it should be used only in such a fashion.

Doing pushups and situps in between commercial breaks is nice, but it's certainly not enough. You're old enough to be doing real workouts. Weight training - you need some. Hit the big muscles, stay away from the smaller ones (at least initially). Chest, back, shoulders and legs (shoulders and legs should be a combo and each workout should incorporate abs). That should be your bread and butter. 3 days a week should be sufficient at the beginning. If possible, try and work out with someone else. A spotter should allow you to get more out of your workout (but it's often difficult or impractical to find someone with a similar schedule). Once you've built your core muscles, you can start to incorporate the 'pretty boy' ones (i.e. biceps, triceps, etc.).

Rest is essential. Your diet will give you the necessary nutrients to repair and rebuild your muscles after your workouts; proper rest will ensure that those nutrients are put to good use. Rest incorporates two main components: sleep and off-days. The sleep part is simple. Get 8 hours every night and try to be consistent with the times that you workout, wakeup, and go to sleep. Don't waste your off-days. Do something light that isn't too taxing (some sort of sport - basketball, racquetball, whatever).

Discipline. Once you've created your plan you need to commit yourself to it. It sounds particularly simple, but it's probably the part that eludes most people. If you think you might struggle with this part, then try and get someone to help. Ask your dad,g/f, brother, friend, whomever, to help keep you accountable.

Good luck.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Doing pushups and situps in between commercial breaks is nice, but it's certainly not enough. You're old enough to be doing real workouts. Weight training - you need some. Hit the big muscles, stay away from the smaller ones (at least initially). Chest, back, shoulders and legs (shoulders and legs should be a combo and each workout should incorporate abs). That should be your bread and butter. 3 days a week should be sufficient at the beginning. If possible, try and work out with someone else. A spotter should allow you to get more out of your workout (but it's often difficult or impractical to find someone with a similar schedule). Once you've built your core muscles, you can start to incorporate the 'pretty boy' ones (i.e. biceps, triceps, etc.).
As someone who lifted weights prior to OCS, I can say afterward that this isn't good advice. The best thing that anyone preparing for military training can do is train aerobically. If one is going to do weights, then it should be in the form of circuit training with little to no rest between sets to keep your heartrate up.

The other thing I learned is something that someone once posted on another fitness forum is absolutely true: most people advocate too much rest. You do not NEED to take a day off every other day. You can work out for 5 or 6 days a week, hard, and still be just fine. We're in our 20s, not 50s.

I haven't touched a weight since I got out of OCS, but I still PT regularly. I look (and feel) better by doing more of a running/calisthenic based workout than going to the gym and lifting weights for 10 reps every two minutes.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Leave it all on the track on game day. If you don't puke and/or tunnel out, you don't want it badly enough.

BullGator

As someone who lifted weights prior to OCS, I can say afterward that this isn't good advice. The best thing that anyone preparing for military training can do is train aerobically. If one is going to do weights, then it should be in the form of circuit training with little to no rest between sets to keep your heartrate up.

The other thing I learned is something that someone once posted on another fitness forum is absolutely true: most people advocate too much rest. You do not NEED to take a day off every other day. You can work out for 5 or 6 days a week, hard, and still be just fine. We're in our 20s, not 50s.

I haven't touched a weight since I got out of OCS, but I still PT regularly. I look (and feel) better by doing more of a running/calisthenic based workout than going to the gym and lifting weights for 10 reps every two minutes.
Hey Abracadabra11 and Spekkio, great PT gouge. I'm not sure if I it was all directed to me (think maybe from the soda to gatorade comment), but I am gonna use these tips in my regimin. I need large gains at PRT so I will also try to do the 5-6 day training a week and see how my body feels (as someone said on another thread, you need to listen to your body and everyone is different). I'm on my third straight day on "more serrious" training.

Thanks guys

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Even if you improve alot the next PRT? Oh boy. I hope your messing with me... Does anyone else know of anything like this? Has anyone failed the first time and prevailed to OCS (albiet in MUCH better shape by then)?

Good Low or No Go.

I had to take mine again because my run was weak.

If you don't get a good-low your OR probably will not send your application in at all because you will not get accepted.

Reason being according to my OR is that a lot of guys and girls were showing up to OCS and failing the in-prt so they raised the standard for acceptance to good-low instead of sat-medium.

Anyways work hard and you'll be able to do it.

PT is the easiest thing to improve.

BullGator

Good Low or No Go.

I had to take mine again because my run was weak.

If you don't get a good-low your OR probably will not send your application in at all because you will not get accepted.

Reason being according to my OR is that a lot of guys and girls were showing up to OCS and failing the in-prt so they raised the standard for acceptance to good-low instead of sat-medium.

Anyways work hard and you'll be able to do it.

PT is the easiest thing to improve.
I'm a college grad going for OCS under an SNA spot, so I don't know if it's different, but my OR said that good-low is the minimum and I wouldn't be taken seriously without getting an excellent-low at least. I've talked to some people and they think this is wrong; that you only need a good-low and that the board doesn't even see your actual scores, only that you passed. Is this true?

So confussing. Either way I will do signifantly better than good-low, just want some opinions of guys that were accepted in the last 6 or so months. I guess a year ago you only needed a PRT before OCS, but now you need it before being pro-rec'ed, so the more recent the accepted recruit (pro-rec or final select) the better. Thanks.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
I'm a college grad going for OCS under an SNA spot, so I don't know if it's different, but my OR said that good-low is the minimum and I wouldn't be taken seriously without getting an excellent-low at least. I've talked to some people and they think this is wrong; that you only need a good-low and that the board doesn't even see your actual scores, only that you passed. Is this true?

So confussing. Either way I will do signifantly better than good-low, just want some opinions of guys that were accepted in the last 6 or so months. I guess a year ago you only needed a PRT before OCS, but now you need it before being pro-rec'ed, so the more recent the accepted recruit (pro-rec or final select) the better. Thanks.

I can't really say if that is true or not simply because I am not on the board and have heard nothing similar to that. Ideally you'd like to have an excellent low. A good low is just the minimum. My OR would have liked me to have excellent low but that simply did not happen.

I'll fall back on what's been said in this forum time and time again.

That it's a whole person concept.

My opinion is that PT is the easiest thing to fix and therefore should in turn be the section where some leeway can be given. But that could vary greatly depending on when your OCS date would end up being.

If you don't feel up to the PT yet push your available date for OCS back so you have time to bring yourself up to speed.

Just keep working. It'll come.

Nikki2184

I was accepted to OCS in Mar 08 with good-low scores. Just FYI. My recruiter said he wouldn't send me if I got any lower than good-low, but he never said that it disqualified me from applying. I think recruiters just don't want to hear candidates they sent rolled.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Unless something changed from last year, PT scores for the Navy don't factor into selection. It's a pass/fail checkmark on your application.

BullGator

Unless something changed from last year, PT scores for the Navy don't factor into selection. It's a pass/fail checkmark on your application.
My OR did mention that a year ago they were letting people take the PRT before OCS and/or after pro-rec, but they changed it (guessing 6months to a year ago) to where you have to take the PRT as part of your package (because there were supposedly many who were very unfit and dropping out of OCS. You need a good-low to send in a packet now (minimum). I sure hope I don't need an excellent low to be considered for SNA pro-rec; I can get there before OCS for sure, but in a month... not so sure.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
My OR did mention that a year ago they were letting people take the PRT before OCS and/or after pro-rec, but they changed it (guessing 6months to a year ago) to where you have to take the PRT as part of your package (because there were supposedly many who were very unfit and dropping out of OCS. You need a good-low to send in a packet now (minimum). I sure hope I don't need an excellent low to be considered for SNA pro-rec; I can get there before OCS for sure, but in a month... not so sure.

Good-low to submit the package. Then if you're pro-rec'd and final-select, you have to take another PRT within 30 days of your OCS date.

BullGator

As was also the case when I applied.
I think I didn't get the park of your 4posts up that said it is only a check (and foccussed on the year ago part). I hope it is only a check mark for "as good, or better then Good-low." That would be nice for now, and allow much greater improvement while waiting for pro-rec, final selection, and then OCS date (3-6+ months, depending on MEPS and all).

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
What I meant by a "checkmark" is that your score doesn't matter, so long as you pass. "Passing" for submitting an application is good low.

Could've changed since I applied, but this is the first I've heard of it.