• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone familiar with Belgium (SHARP) or Stuttgart?

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I'm dreaming of places that aren't Japan, and these have floated to the top of Husband's dream list. What can you tell me about either place, as far as living conditions?

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
To live or visit?
Been to both a few times. I really like both, but it depends what you are looking for. For living both can be a bit cold, with Belgium probably slightly being the colder/more rainy of the two. Stuttgart is a younger crowd in an older city. There is a fairly large college there. Pretty cool outdoor shopping strip with places to eat and walk around. I've lucked out and hit really great weather pretty much my entire time at both. Every time I commented on the nice weather everyone told me it is never like that. That said, I'd happily move to either place. Belgium was a lot of fun. I've spent two weeks, mostly around Brussels with some time in Antwerp as well.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
To live. Pending about 47 other pieces falling into place and a friendly detailer, of course. It's little more than day dreaming at this point, but I'm just checking out the prospects.

BlkPny

pilot
Following my tour in VN I was assigned to J-2 at EUCOM, Stuttgart. Perfect location to travel through Europe. PM me for any details.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have several friends currently at AFRICOM in Stuttgart who love it. I can put you in contact with them if you'd like.

Brett

MasterBates

Skipper at my last squadron was at AFRICOM and still won't shut up about how awesome it was.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The folks I know who have done either, or both in a few cases, seem to agree Stuttgart is a better deal. The jobs in Stuttgart are mostly 'US' jobs while the ones at SHAPE in Belgium are pretty much all NATO ones. Both are staff but when you add 28 or more countries (don't forget the PfP folks!) in the mix staff work can get a lot more 'interesting' and not often in a good way, as in not much often gets done. AFRICOM out of Stuttgart might afford some interesting travel opportunities to places few in the US get to go to, some more appealing than others. As Brett and MB already mentioned a few I know who did a stint there said they loved it.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Knowing nothing of the working conditions/job quality issues mentioned: I would second the above, not having worked at either, I'd rather be in Stuttgart (living condition wise). Cheap flights to most of Europe are available from there too.

Attachments

• 20100626-DSC00287.jpg
    20100626-DSC00287.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Thank you all. I was leaning toward casting my vote (which Husband asked for since he is indifferent at this point) toward Brussels, but it seem like Germany is the way to go. Truthfully, I think I'll be delighted if he ends up in either place.