• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone Ever Heard of This Happening?

dsevo

I got pro-recd in the March boards for SNA, and then did MEPS and all of that stuff. I had PRK eye surgery last June, but my vision is now 20/20. Well my OR called me today and said it looks like I will not get FS for SNA because my pre-operation vision was too bad so I cannot get the PRK waiver. My medical stuff got sent to whoever looks at that stuff, and they deferred my case to NAMI, and told my OR that it is very unlikely that I will get FS. I'm really bummed right now, and just hoping I somehow get the waiver since it isn't official yet.

Anyone ever heard of a similar situation?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I've heard of someone being out of pre-op limits before... I met them in flight school. That's just my heard it through the grapevine story, but best of luck.

I figured if you were out of pre-op limits it was sort of a "good luck" type deal and if you went and got PRK anyway and ended up 20/20, you were fine?

nugget61

pilot
I got pro-recd in the March boards for SNA, and then did MEPS and all of that stuff. I had PRK eye surgery last June, but my vision is now 20/20. Well my OR called me today and said it looks like I will not get FS for SNA because my pre-operation vision was too bad so I cannot get the PRK waiver. My medical stuff got sent to whoever looks at that stuff, and they deferred my case to NAMI, and told my OR that it is very unlikely that I will get FS. I'm really bummed right now, and just hoping I somehow get the waiver since it isn't official yet.

Anyone ever heard of a similar situation?

What were you pre-op?

dsevo

My pre op #'s were as follows:

Sphere Cylinder Axis
Right Eye: -5.50 0 0
Left Eye: -5.75 +.50 105

From everything I've read -8.0 is the limit, but then when I do the PRK waiver work sheet on the NAMI website is says "not recommended for waiver."

It seems to be because the sphere is out of the limits.

MackOhare

Out of curiousity (and potentially necessity), does anyone know what are the pre-op requirements? Specifically for distance acuity? Does anyone have an official link or any info.?

Nugget -- I saw your post in the PRK waiver thread, about the diopeters and refractive errors, but do you know what the pre-op acuity limit is?

I haven't gone for a PRK consult yet, but want to know if its even worth it for me in order to qualify for pilot if I don't meet pre-ops standards anyway. Then again, I think I would like to have it done even if selected for NFO just because I really wouldn't want to wear the BCGs at OCS or deal with glasses/contacts later on.

dsevo

I learned a lot over the last couple days about the PRK waiver, and I am no longer worried about it. I think my OR jumped the gun because the letter he received from NRC says I may not get a waiver, but in the end it isn't up to them. According to everything I can find on the NAMI website, -8.0 is the maximum pre-op refraction allowed. I will include a link of the exact PDF document that the NAMI doctors use to determine whether or not to grant the waiver. You simply plug in your #'s and it says whether the waiver is granted or not at the bottom. I've also included the letter that NRC sent my recruiter, so people can see what they look like.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...Corneal Refractive Surgery Template FINAL.pdf

Attachments

• PQ Letter-Wilmoth, D-4854-6May09[1]-1.pdf
    35.4 KB · Views: 20