• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any test pilots here?

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
After getting a couple suggestions from co-workers, I'm tossing around the idea of putting in a TPS package next year. Problem is, fleet squadrons aren't exactly full of former test pilots, so I really have no idea what I'm getting into, and nobody to talk to. Anyone here a current/former test type, or know someone who is?
P.S. I'm a Marine helo (phrog) type, if it matters. Above-average nerdiness.

Search yielded no results.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I obviously have no experience, but have read the book Flying the Edge, which tracks a class through TPS in the '90s (CAPT Owen Honors has a small part), and there is a lot of great info on their website if you Google it.

Mostly I gather it's an intense 18 month academic phase where you refresh your Calculus and Aero and then learn how to fly specific flight profiles and write reports that engineers can understand. The is also a co-op program that you can apply for that earns a Masters from NPG based on the curriculum. After that, you do a two year tour testing.

Since your a helo guy, I assume the flying can be compared to really intense FCF...following a check list to a gnat's ass and trying to hit the numbers over and over again.

Hope this is all stuff that you can use.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
Not a test pilot, but have a package in for the board that met yesterday. PM if you want help on how to put one together.

Depending on whether you apply in the winter or the spring, there are different programs available. Rotary guys can apply for USNTPS (the 11 months of coursework / flying in Pax), USNTPS Co-Op (get your masters in system engineering at NPS in four quarters before starting USNTPS -- don't actually get the diploma until you graduate from TPS since some of the course work is part of the curriculum in Pax), and during the spring board, you can also apply for Empire Test Pilot School (British TPS). I have a Marine friend (skid guy) that just finished a few months ago and is now is out in China Lake doing his test tour, so I know that is one of the places Green TPS Graduates can expect to be detailed.

A few links for you.

http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/Administrative/TestPilot/default.htm -- Homepage on the Navy side for the board and package submission.

http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/599CA771-A312-425A-A3F3-53CCC50C8BCD/0/BUPERSINST150062B.pdf -- Link to the instruction.

Best of luck!

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
I've noticed that every else but the actual instruction it is said that an engineering degree is not required but calc and physics are recommended. Then you read the instruction and it seems to clearly state thou shall take calculus and calculus based physics to receive a waiver for the lack of the engineering degree.

TPS came to our squadron a couple months ago recruiting. If you PM me your info, I could shoot you the power point brief on NMCI.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
During the spring board, you can also apply for Empire Test Pilot School (British TPS). I have a Marine friend (skid guy) that just finished a few months ago and is now is out in China Lake doing his test tour, so I know that is one of the places Green TPS Graduates can expect to be detailed.

Had 2 Skippers that were TPS exchange grads - One Empire and one USAF and both said they were excellent tours.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Not a test pilot, but have a package in for the board that met yesterday. PM if you want help on how to put one together.

Depending on whether you apply in the winter or the spring, there are different programs available. Rotary guys can apply for USNTPS (the 11 months of coursework / flying in Pax), USNTPS Co-Op (get your masters in system engineering at NPS in four quarters before starting USNTPS -- don't actually get the diploma until you graduate from TPS since some of the course work is part of the curriculum in Pax), and during the spring board, you can also apply for Empire Test Pilot School (British TPS). I have a Marine friend (skid guy) that just finished a few months ago and is now is out in China Lake doing his test tour, so I know that is one of the places Green TPS Graduates can expect to be detailed.

A few links for you.

http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/Administrative/TestPilot/default.htm -- Homepage on the Navy side for the board and package submission.

http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/599CA771-A312-425A-A3F3-53CCC50C8BCD/0/BUPERSINST150062B.pdf -- Link to the instruction.

Best of luck!

Good luck!

HueyHornet75

pilot
RotorHead04,
I was in the same squadron as your buddy who just went out to China Lake. Good luck on the board. My package was in there as well. Word is no skid spots until class 142, next January. Arkham, good luck if you apply. If I get in, I'll shoot you some gouge.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm at Pax now doing OT, but am friends with and work with several TPS grads. Also, I've got done some DT assist/IT with HX-21.

Here's the basic run down:
-If you're selected you to a TPS program. Most guys go to Naval TPS at Pax River, but as others mentioned there are some exchange programs with Britian's Empire Test School and France's program. I think pointy nosed guys can also go to AF TPS. USNTPS is pretty well recognized as being an incredibly rigorous academic program. My understanding is that the folks who go to ETPS come back loving life while USNTPS grads take a few years to recover from their beatings. You do get the opportunity to fly a lot of different aircraft. TPS always has all sorts of cool aircraft in the air. I've seen MiG-15s, B-25s, and T-28s in the past year. As a RW guy you'll get a chance to fly gliders and pointy nosed aircraft such as the T-38 and F/A-18 and a whole mess of helos: H-57s, H-58s, H-72s, and H-60s. All of this flying is not just for grins though, you're out collecting data so you can write and be graded on reports. And there's a lot of writing in the test world. Test plans, yellow sheets, and test reports to name a few.
-Following TPS you go to one of the test squadrons for a few years and conduct different tests. As a DT guy you're certified to be able to conduct tests that fall outside the scope of NATOPS. There's also captive carriage and seperation test for weapons. There's also every flavor of system integration testing and software regression testing. Some of the flying can be really unique, and some can be similar to an FCF. It all depends on what's going on at the time.
-Most RW guys go to HX-21 out of Pax. I didn't know that VX-9 was an option for USMC TPS grads, but I guess that's an option based on Rotorhead's gouge. VX-9 does OT vice DT.
-Being a TPS alum opens up doors in to the test/acquisition world, or at least it does for USN types, not sure how it works for USMC. For USN, there's plenty of opportunities to return to the test community in some form either at HX, VX, TPS instructor, or one of the PMAs.
-All the alums I've ever met have spoken highly of their time in the test community and loved the opportunity to get to do some unique flying.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Great responses all, thanks. I'm giving my work email out to those who PM me, and hopefully I'll be able to put together some additional info to post here for future aspiring TP's.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just attended the MCAA Acquisition Awards Banquet at Pax last week, which was hosted by the local MCAA "Squadron" that is not only chockful of USMC TPS grads and instructors, it is named over the one Marine who argruably qualifies as the Uder Marine Test Pilot of all time: John Glenn (who attended affair and co-presented awards).

Since my career was a hybrid USMC/USN affair, I can comment firsthand on perspectives from both sides and overall. One, there has NEVER been a better time for USMC Test Pilots and NFOS (few that haven't become extinct still have demand for them at Pax) as they have been rolling in and out of top positions as COs of the Wing (cracked that barrier years ago), VX-20 (another traditional Navy position fell recently to Marines), HX-21, VX-23 and TPS itself.

Like most Navy bases that have robust Marine presence, there is a senior Marine Colonel looking out for "his" Marines. The MCAA Squadron is arguably best organization associated with base. When they do an affair like last week, ALL the Marines show up unless they have a pretty good excuse not to be there so there is better networking to my mind than any of the Navy associated organizations like ANA, etc. There will be another gala affair soon honoring John Glenn so if you really want to get some info, why not attend if you can swing it? Check out their site = http://mcaa-jgs.org/

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey Arkham,
Just got into class 142...I'll take good notes and try to share the knowledge about the program, the area, the system, and whatever else future applicants may want to know.

Congrats. They don't just give those slots away....