• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any tall dudes out there in the E-6 or F-18?

Kaminoshi

I am gunning for a slot as an NFO, but the one thing that concerns me the most is my height. I have looked around online and i fall within the range of heights (sitting, standing, buttock to knee) to be an NFO. However, this site

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/officerjo2/a/nfo.htm

shows that NFOs with height of around 74" and sitting height greater than 38 inches may get disqualified (at least for the E-6).

My goal is to get into either the E-6 or the F-18, I have always wanted to be in jet.. not to say I wouldnt enjoy p-3s or E-2s but if I had a choice etc...

Are there any of you NFOs out there that can give me some info on jets specifically? My sitting height is approx 39-40" (maybe 38 depending on who measures). Im 75" tall and my knee to buttock length is about 36".

I understand that it is important to fall within a certain height range due to the size of aircraft, but I would hate to be disqualified from an aircraft because of my genetics rather than my performance.

Thanks

Kaminoshi

oh oops, my bad the EA-6B... forgot about the E-6 because not many talk about it (pretty cool job though).

Pretty much both jets I could potentially (and hopefully) get into

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I don't know that by the time you get in and can select, you would even be able to select the Prowler. You know it's going away?

badger16

None
I'm 6'3 and some change and I'm on my way to the Rhino RAG. Don't know how tall you are looking for.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
E-6 or EA-6B?...two different planes. The E-6 is pretty large. The EA-6B, not so much.

I'd say....
5L7P4548.jpg

HJ Photo

Kaminoshi

Well that is reassuring that other tall guys like me can fit in the pilot and NFO spots. Hopefully the flight surgeon wont DQ me when he measures me, but it shouldnt be a problem.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Its not so much your overall height, but either the torso or butt-knee length that get's the tall dudes. I knew a few that were the same-ish height as me but had long legs or long torso's and got anthro'd out of pointy nose land.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
I'm 6-5 220 and fit nicely in the rhino's backseat. The only thing that sucks is your knees getting slammed into the console during a trap. Put the seat down and pedals forward and you can almost completely stretch your legs. The only time my size made it uncomfy in a rhino was in the rag where some jets had a stick in the back that just took up valuable leg/junk room. Hope that helps.

Kaminoshi

I'm 6-5 220 and fit nicely in the rhino's backseat. The only thing that sucks is your knees getting slammed into the console during a trap. Put the seat down and pedals forward and you can almost completely stretch your legs. The only time my size made it uncomfy in a rhino was in the rag where some jets had a stick in the back that just took up valuable leg/junk room. Hope that helps.

Wow, I guess I shouldnt have a problem if you are 6'5".

Random questions: What are the pedals in the backseat for? Up front they are for the rudder, what about the back?

Also, how competitive is the NFO strike stuff? For pilots, everyone wants jets and thats ultra competetive, is it the same for NFOs? Or are people more willing to go to other platforms. I hate asking since its the equivalent of "what % get jets" but I havent seen anyone ask this for NFOs. Something about being a WSO seems completely awesome in every way.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Out of primary the selection is between P-3s (well, E-6s are in this category too but the slots are few and far between) and tailhook. In my time in VT land I never saw anyone not get tailhook who wanted it, but I saw some people who wanted P-3s get tailhook. After intermediate, it's choosing between jets and E-2s. I've seen lots of disappointment after that selection, though me personally, had I gotten picked for tailhook I wanted E-2s. I went ugly early :)

Kaminoshi

Lots of disappointment eh? Well I guess I will have to completely outperform everyone if i want a shot. How many people are in a typical class? Also many slots were there at the time for e2 and jets? although that wouldnt really mean anything because its all about the needs of the navy...

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Well you just answered your own question. There really isn't any standard to any of the questions you asked.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Lots of disappointment eh? Well I guess I will have to completely outperform everyone if i want a shot. How many people are in a typical class? Also many slots were there at the time for e2 and jets? although that wouldnt really mean anything because its all about the needs of the navy...

I wasn't a FO stud, but from what I *heard* it sounded like the TH selections can be kind of a crapshoot. I have a good friend who selected on a week that there were only E-2 slots given out, and the previous selection class were all sent Hornets/Growlers/Prowlers. Get good grades and you have a fighting chance, but in the end, it all comes down to needs of the Navy.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Yup, needs of the Navy. There is a class at VAW-120 now where the vast majority wanted to continue to VT-86, but for a couple weeks everyone got E-2s. If that happens to you, it doesn't matter how well you did. Class sizes run the gamut because people roll, move up, so you can't game the system. Just do your best and hope what you want is available.