• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any reason to keep Navy Fed, USAA banking?

exNavyOffRec

USAA has had some rough times recently, they have sold off their investment arm to Charles Schwab, so if you have any investments with them you will be getting calls from Schwab.

Just like any insurance carrier if 10 people get quotes from USAA and other carriers USAA will be the best rate for a few people and not for the others, I have found that older drivers or drivers with several dings on their records tend to do ok with USAA.

One thing to note is USAA did have an F rating with the BBB for a while, they are now no longer rated as they attempt to address all the post complaints, they by far had the worst rating of any major insurance carrier.

I remember when I first joined the USN and USAA was the best thing around, if it was a house it seemed like a nice large beautiful home with a 3 car garage, now it is more like a 30 year old rambler with a carport and gold appliances.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I've slowly moved all my accounts away from USAA with the exception of my brokerage account, which by default will move on it's own to Schwab. 1 by 1 I was getting better quotes from other agencies and moved things away from USAA. GEICO was far cheaper if I bundled home and auto together. I had life ins through USAA, and found out years later I could have gotten the same coverage for half the monthly premium had I only shopped around. When I refi'ed back in March I made sure to give USAA a call and their rates were slightly higher and there total fees didn't really compare either. Sorry

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it has been mentioned before on AW. USAA seems to have started to go down hill in service about the time they opened up membership requirements and expanded the business in terms of membership and products. Too much too soon. Probably higher loss rates due to expanded membership qualifications helped lead to the erosion of the edge in premiums they were famous for.

Had Armed Forces Insurance for many years covering two homes. Really liked them.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I've had need to exercise the insurance side of USAA they've been very responsive, even up until this year.

While I've had some mixed dealings with the bank side recently USAA insurance has done well by me the past few years, and really paid off last year. We had a bad hail storm come through my neighborhood and quite a few houses were damaged. USAA paid not only for a new roof but all new siding as well, at first agreeing to pay for only half but quickly agreeing to pay for all after our contractor put in justification for all 4 sides instead of 2. Many other folks also had insurance pay for new roofs but few for siding and some had no luck at all to include our next door neighbor. Very painless process from beginning to end, and our contractor specifically mentioned USAA was one of the better and easier insurance companies to work with.

Between that experience and two folks I know who have had house fires, one with damage and one burned to the ground, and subsequently had really good experiences with USAA has sold me on their insurance for a while. Their banking side even redeemed themselves a bit recently with me after two screwups by going above and beyond what they needed to do while NFCU is still lagging behind to do the same thing.

exNavyOffRec

While I've had some mixed dealings with the bank side recently USAA insurance has done well by me the past few years, and really paid off last year. We had a bad hail storm come through my neighborhood and quite a few houses were damaged. USAA paid not only for a new roof but all new siding as well, at first agreeing to pay for only half but quickly agreeing to pay for all after our contractor put in justification for all 4 sides instead of 2. Many other folks also had insurance pay for new roofs but few for siding and some had no luck at all to include our next door neighbor. Very painless process from beginning to end, and our contractor specifically mentioned USAA was one of the better and easier insurance companies to work with.

Between that experience and two folks I know who have had house fires, one with damage and one burned to the ground, and subsequently had really good experiences with USAA has sold me on their insurance for a while. Their banking side even redeemed themselves a bit recently with me after two screwups by going above and beyond what they needed to do while NFCU is still lagging behind to do the same thing.

On another board I am on the same discussion happened several months back, people in different states experienced completely different level of service with USAA, one person I know in Texas had a hail storm like you did, the USAA adjuster declined the damage to the roof saying it wasn't evident it was due to the hail storm, the rest of the houses in the development were getting roofs fixed and she was still fighting them, finally they gave in. The others had damage from storms and had no issues getting it fixed.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On another board I am on the same discussion happened several months back, people in different states experienced completely different level of service with USAA, one person I know in Texas had a hail storm like you did, the USAA adjuster declined the damage to the roof saying it wasn't evident it was due to the hail storm, the rest of the houses in the development were getting roofs fixed and she was still fighting them, finally they gave in. The others had damage from storms and had no issues getting it fixed.

Like I said, our contractor specifically made a point that USAA was one of 2 or 3 companies that was easiest to work with. My personal experience was very easy and almost seamless from beginning to end, especially given the amount of money involved.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I've stayed with USAA, probably out of laziness and not shopping around for other rates when moving around. Haven't had the need to make any auto/rental/homeowner claims. I find their banking app user-friendly for my needs.

If any insurance company fucks with you, contact these dudes:

BigRed389

None
Yikes. Was that with an APO box address, or hard international? My current bank insisted on adding "Australia" after my DPO address even though I told them not to and tried to correct it after the fact, but I never had any issues like that.

Same as cfam, Residential int'l.

Switching to DPO fixed it.

Notanaviator

Contributor
A couple people have alluded to this but there’s a difference between best price and best response when you absolutely need it. That difference tends to be very apparent in insurance and in banking. With the latter, if you know folks that own small businesses right now, they’re getting a mixed bag from whatever bank they use on their PPP or EIDL loan applications, and that’s going to make a difference on whether they make it or don’t over the next several months. Food for thought.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like I said, our contractor specifically made a point that USAA was one of 2 or 3 companies that was easiest to work with. My personal experience was very easy and almost seamless from beginning to end, especially given the amount of money involved.
Body shop guy told me the same thing. Can't remember the other one or two he mentioned.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Surprised no one has mentioned that USAA is giving credits to all members on their auto insurance, due to the ‘Rona and people are driving so much less. Pretty classy of them.

Auto and renters insurance has always been cheapest for me through USAA. Motorcycle and life insurance I’ve gone elsewhere (Geico and Navy Mutual). My only home I own is in Florida and since it’s no longer my primary home, USAA won’t insure rental properties there.