• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any prior service AF going or been to Navy OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slabman

SNA Primary (Whiting)
I was prior enlisted in the Air Force for 4 years. Now I am headed to OCS Oct 18th for SNA.I was in C.E., where did you work?

Later,
Jared

spsiratt

24 April OCS
Sweet, maybe you can answer a question for me. Are you headed to OCS straight from the AF or did you separate already? That's kind of my question. I'm still AD with about 9 months retainability. I have to get a conditional release to go to OCS, but I have to sign my Navy paperwork within 30 days of notification of selection. If I get a date 6 months out and have to be out of the AF within 30 days so I can sign up with the Navy until my date, that would suck. Does it work any other way or is there some sort of exception to the standard for current AD? Anyway, that's what I need to know.

I've been in the AF for 9 years. A couple of years in Air Traffic Control and the rest in intelligence. I've been pro-rec'd for SNFO, but this whole 30 days to get in with the Navy throws a wrench into things for me a little. I'd appreciate any info.

Jared, when were you AD and where were you stationed?

Shaggy

slabman

SNA Primary (Whiting)
Shaggy,
I separated from the AF in 9/99. I'm sorry I don't know anything about an early release. I did get to separate a few months early to
attend college.Ifyourcommander likes you I'm sure they will approve it. I was at Tyndall, AFB 396 - 11/97. I was also at Kirtland, AFB from 11/97 - 9/99. Good luck!!

Jared

spsiratt

24 April OCS
That's alright, I'm sure I'll get the conditional release, I'm just concered about having to sign with the navy within 30 days. I could be unemplyed while I wait for my class.
Tyndall must have been nice. I have some buddies that were stationed there and they all liked it. Sorry about the Kirtland thing though, yuck. I'm at DM for what little time I have left in the AF.

lvgravy

I'm active duty AF, my OCS class date is in Oct. You will not have to sign your paper work until the day after you separate, you are an exception because you are still AD. When you fill out your separation paper work with the AF make sure you separate at least two weeks prior to your OCS class date, the Navy apparently needs a couple of days to cut your OCS orders and they can't do that while your in the AF.
Your recruiter should know this....you may want to ask him to remind the board members that this is why you have not signed your paper work yet. My recruiter received a call from the board telling him they were going to take away my pilot slot because I had not enlisted yet. He explained the situation and they said no problem.
Also,in case you didn't know you are allowed to take terminal leave, I am taking 55 days of leave before I go to OCS. I did not know I could do this, otherwise I would have used all my leave. I have 80 days, I will have to sell the remaining balance. If you know of anyway to transfer it please let me know. I buddy of mine transferred AF to Navy and lost all his leave but after huge hassle he was able to get most of it back.
Please let me know if you have any other questions,
Mike

spsiratt

24 April OCS
lvgravy, thanks a million for the info. That sounds a lot more like what my recruiter and I were thinking. Someone else in the recruiting shop brought up the reg and threw a wrench into the machine. My recruiter's been awesome but just didn't know how that was supposed to swing. I guess there aren't many of us AF types going Navy. Thanks for clearing that up.
As for terminal leave, you're actually separating from the AF, so you get all the benefits of someone seperating (terminal leave, selling leave balance..). If your buddy did a lateral transfer without going through a commissioning program, I could see the possibility of carrying leave over. As for going to OCS, I've heard from both the AF and Navy that I'll have to either take it or sell it back before seperating. I think I'll take mine. The idea of not working for two months and still getting paid sounds really nice.
Thanks again.
Shaggy

shdostel

spsiratt. I'm prior Air Force and I graduated OCS last December. I was already out for about 6 years when I signed on to the Navy. I'm glad you got the info you needed seeing how I wasn't going to be much help. I will tell you that the DI's at OCS will give you some, but not a lot of grief about being in the Air Force. One DI (GySgt Carellson) told me he used to date a girl in the Air Force. He used to make her hum the Marine Corp hymn during their "special moments." Anyway, if you have any concerns or questions about OCS, let me know.

CJ

lvgravy

Glad I could help, let me know if you have any other problems, if you want I can give you the number of my recruiter if you have any more trouble, he seems to really know what's going on. My buddy went to OCS and some how he was able to transfer his leave but I'm not sure if will work again, I guess I will have to sell the remainding balance. Good luck, Go Navy
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.