• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any other rowing geeks out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Somewhat off topic, but I'm curious...

It seems to me like a really high percentage of the people from my school who serve in the military after graduation come off my crew team, so I just wanted to know if there were any other crew heads on this board. Anyone going to EARC Sprints or IRAs?

"Peace on earth to men of goodwill. All others stand by."

esday1

I'll put this a different way: how many of the college seniors applying right now and on this board are currently active athletes, and in what sports?

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
LOL. I'm a rower. I've rowed for the past 4 years without taking a break. Summer races were by far the best, especially the Henley. I've heard by a few buddies of mine that were on the crew team then went military, that boot camp was nothing compared to 4:30AM practices, LOL...Our coach is an old army sgt. so He drills us hard. I'm not rowing this last semester however.

wildflyin69

"My Drinking Team has a Rowing problem..." I think that statement says it all... AND yes, ergs suck!

esday1

Yeah, you'd be pretty surprised how well my lightweight crew can do in Boat Races against our heavyweight crew and some of the frats at my school. And by "Boat Races," I mean Boat Races, not boat races.

And in the spirit of the competitiveness and stats-posting elsewhere on this board, it's a 6:24.4 (last tuesday). This seems to translate well to the USMC PFT in the run and the sit-ups, but not quite as well to the pull-ups. You never know when those "beach muscles" actually come in handy. Look for a corps-inspired pseudonym in this year's CRASH-B lt. men's results.

wildflyin69

I personally like the rowing quote:
"Now you can finally explain those blisters on your hands..."

Hey! One more post and this becomes a hot topic!!

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

wildflyin69

I stopped rowing when I realized flying was faster....lol

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

esday1

Just found a cool article tying in Corps principles and athletics rather nicely (other than the stupid headline):

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/134690581_college07.html

Notebook: For SPU, it's hardly a hard row to hoe

By Seattle Times staff

Normally, around daybreak, Keith Jefferson can be found at the wheel of his launch, trailing in the wake of his Seattle Pacific rowers as they ply the waters of Lake Union and the Ship Canal.

But as the Falcons prepared for their recent conference regatta, Jefferson, coach the past 12 seasons, was nowhere to be found. Instead, he was nearly 6,000 miles away on another vessel, near Guam in the western Pacific. Clearly, this is not a normal season around the SPU shellhouse.

Jefferson, a major in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves, has not coached his crew this spring. Instead, he is on a seven-month hitch of active duty with an engineering unit while Jessie Pennington, a 25-year-old protégé, takes his place.

Five SPU boats won conference titles and brought home four medals from last week's regional regatta, which might make some coaches feel insecure during their absence. But Jefferson believes such success is a tribute to the Marine leadership model of pushing leadership down through the ranks.

"It's appropriate to be expendable," Jefferson said. "In our program, we've been developing leaders all along. And everyone has performed marvelously."

Pennington rowed four seasons under Jefferson, then became his assistant coach after graduation. About a year ago, sensing that world events would soon result in his call-up, Jefferson began grooming Pennington to assume command. In November, she did as Jefferson left his wife, son and crew position for duty at Camp Smith in Honolulu.

Under Pennington, Seattle Pacific crews have stayed the course set by Jefferson the past three seasons, when women's crews won four national small-college championships, primarily in the four-oared categories. This weekend, the women's four goes to Camden, N.J., to compete for a national title while the women's lightweight four and men's pair are bound for Philadelphia.

"They haven't missed a beat," said Jefferson, who last weekend met his family and the crew in Sacramento, Calif., for the regional championships. It was his first look at the team this season.

"And that's as it should be, particularly in rowing," Jefferson said. "They train to be self-sufficient because once they leave the shoreline, the coach has no control."

On the shores of Lake Natoma, Jefferson was careful not to interfere with the new chain-of-command. Pennington was the coach, and for the time being, Jefferson was just a fan.

"I've been very fortunate in this situation," Pennington said. "Keith prepared me and (the) team well. We have many strong leaders in the program, and all of them have servant hearts."

Status
Not open for further replies.