• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any nicknames yet for the F-35 Lightning II ?

danpass

I imagine there would also need to be differentiators between versions, such as when a -B lands on a carrier. Perhaps, "STOVL in the break".

It's lame but descriptive lol.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I wouldn't expect that to happen much. How often does a Harrier land on a CVN now?

As to the ball call, I don't know the jargon they picked for an F-35C, maybe one of the LSOs here can chime in. I have some suggestions though, if anyone's interested...

danpass

I wouldn't expect that to happen much. How often does a Harrier land on a CVN now?

As to the ball call, I don't know the jargon they picked for an F-35C, maybe one of the LSOs here can chime in. I have some suggestions though, if anyone's interested...
There was once a Harrier det on CV-42 back in the late 70s. Maybe someone remembers what they were labeled? (I think the det worked out too well as it never happened again lol.)

Perhaps cross decking will happen more often with the STOVLs operating off the Queen's carriers.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
The X-32 had a great one, 'Monica'.

Not hard to see why...

iy0ky8.jpg

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
According to my skipper, it's just "Lightning, ball" on the ball call.

I was thinking, "Money, Ball" or maybe "Chuck Norris" would be fun, especially since it has that MaGiC CaRPeT voodoo built in. (Yes, it's actually an acronym, not that the tail ever wags the dog on those...)

Also, I probably got the capitalization wrong, but I don't really care.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Growlers are "Grizzly" on the ball and E-2D is "Tracer", but I don't think either of those will ever catch on as "nicknames".

According to my skipper, it's just "Lightning, ball" on the ball call.

Well, at least ball lightning is a thing.

article-2528351-1A4412C000000578-888_634x387.jpg

Renegade One

None
"Lightning II"…a head-nod to the legacy of the Lockheed P-38 Lightning, the latter christened the "Fork-Tailed Devil" by the Germans. As the F-35 also has twin tails, it, too, could merit the nickname. Just as F-16 "Fighting Falcon" is widely known as the "Viper", I predict F-35 pilots will call themselves "Devil drivers". Probably won't affect the ball call terminology, however...

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
HS-14's callsign is "Lightning", which could cause confusion on one carrier. I know it bugged me for my first few months at Pax hearing the F-35 use it on the radio. I guess DT programs can just call themselves whatever they want.

Edit: shouldn't the F-35 get an animal nickname like most aircraft?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
HS-14's callsign is "Lightning", which could cause confusion on one carrier. I know it bugged me for my first few months at Pax hearing the F-35 use it on the radio. I guess DT programs can just call themselves whatever they want.
Yeah, it's always confusing when a helo calls the ball.

As for "Devil Driver", that has fucking Air Force written all over it.

danpass

Wouldn't 'Lightning' cause confusion during weather? In my time in the bug smasher world here in SoFla lightning has a very specific meaning so that's all I have to go on lol.

Right now I've got the F-35, in general, using 'Marauder'. I wanted 'Wraith' but saw that was wasted on the RQ-170 drone.