• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any new Meridian Info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lairdjp

pilot
Will be headed to Meridian in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone on the site has any current info. Training time, places to live, etc. Been there before...I know there's nothing to do. Already checked previous posts, but would appreciate any updated info. Thanks.

Brandi

SNA wife
Northwoods Place and The Woodlands are great apartment complexes on highway 39. I would recommend them. Eastgate is ok.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brandi said:
Northwoods Place and The Woodlands are great apartment complexes on highway 39.

Which are otherwise known as "BOQ South . . ." :D FYI, if you're looking for a one bedroom place, there is a serious crunch now, or at least was when I was househunting a couple months ago . . .

LSUMarine

Lay off me! I'm starving!
I would recommend staying as far away from the Northwood Place apartments as you can. I rented a room here while still in Corpus because I heard it was a good place and I could see that it is centrally located, but I got here and this place turned out to suck. Super thin walls and floors, and a poor floorplan. I have been over to the Mark Apartments a few times and they seem nicer than these for a few dollars less per month. I don't know about the Woodlands but they didn't have anything available for May 1st when I got here, plus they are about a hundred dollars more per month. Just my opinion on housing. As for training, I got here end of April and was given a class up date of August 1st. That changed this week to the July 5th class, but as for you, I wouldn't bet on classing up before mid-August. I've been told that time to train should be around 12 months for those of us just now starting. Of course there are some studs finishing up now that have been here nearly 24 months, but we shouldn't have those issues.

Smokey's

I'm not sure when it is that you're headed this way but come August/September-ish, I've got a great deal for the right person. My husband and I will be relocating elsewhere but have an 18 year old son attending college here who will remain in our house but will need a housemate. We have a four bedroom, 1.5 bath house on a lake 15 minutes from the base.

Since we are simply looking to ease the burden of maintaining two households while our son is in college, we are willing to rent for $500.00/month plus 1/2 of the electric bill (all other utilities included).

Spin

SNA in Meridian
I too will be heading to Meridian in about a month (just selected today). Along with the info requested above, if anyone could give me any insite as to what info I could begin to look at (i.e. EPs, Systems, etc.) I would appreciate it. I would like to get somewhat of a head start now if I can. Thanks!

Peace,

-Spin

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
to spin: i thought the same thing before I got here. seriousely, enjoy your time off (like I was advised when I asked the question). when you get here, once you get the sim brief and a supervised practice sim you can come down and just fly on your own like in primary. systems and EP knowledge will come with the lectures (it makes sense when you can put a WHY behind everything)

Spin

SNA in Meridian
I know ..... I am gonna enjoy my time but I would like to at least look over one thing. Like before primary I just casually looked over EPs .. nothing major ... just like 10-15 min a day ... but it made a world of difference. Either way I am taking leave after I do the Water Survival crap next week. God it will be nice to get outta here. I figure that I should have all my T-34 info dumped by Monday and will no longer even be able to identify the wheels (haha).

Also, do any of you have any info on the job situation out there for a civi. I'm getting married in Sept and my girl is in school for Fashion/Interior design. I know there aint much out there, literally but any info would be appreciated. I'm almost ready to tell her to stay in Ft. Lauderdale till I'm done cause I feel bad dragging her out to the middle of nowhere. They have a General Store in Meridian. I've never been in a town with a General Store (haha).

Peace,

Spin

Smokey's

Spin said:
Also, do any of you have any info on the job situation out there for a civi. I'm getting married in Sept and my girl is in school for Fashion/Interior design. I know there aint much out there, literally but any info would be appreciated. I'm almost ready to tell her to stay in Ft. Lauderdale till I'm done cause I feel bad dragging her out to the middle of nowhere. They have a General Store in Meridian. I've never been in a town with a General Store (haha).
Spin

LOL!! Hmmm, Fashion/Interior Design in Meridian. The yellow pages lists:
Hart-Hall -601-485-8942, Hulett Furniture - 601-693-6944, Little Acres - 601-681-8880, Reflections of the Modern Garden - 601-482-2111 and the Squirrel Nest - 601-483-7511. And I know of one other, Cantey Paint & Interior - 601-693-2861.

Fashion in Meridian = Retail Clothing Store

The good jobs are few and far between and mostly depend on who you know, but she can keep checking the classifieds in the local paper:

www.meridianstar.com

AprilFool

Dude . . .
So, yeah, Meridian blows. There are a few options to think about - if you're a boozer (though I'm guessing you're not), find a couple o' roomies and get a house near or in town on the north side (near North Hills St). You'll be nearer to the bars and most of the parties. Town is about 20-25 minutes from base - depending on where you live. If you're more laid back, get a few roommates and move out to Dalewood Lake. Dalewood is away from town by 20 minutes, but its about 10-15 minutes from base. Its a pretty location to come home to and, during the summer, you can do some boating. There aren't too many reasons to go to town anyways - just a movie theater and a few small bars. One plus to living in town is that you're 20 minutes closer to New Orleans and Pensacola. I'm not big on apartments - you never really feel like you come home. Just a thought . . .
You will have 5 weeks of grinding, slow ground school before you even dream of getting anywhere near the plane. Plenty of time to study EPs, systems knowledge, etc. Besides, if you pay attention to Mr. Ken Kennedy in class, you'll know all that you want about the plane. Congrats on the jet pull - its worth coming to Meridian for.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
I thought fashion in Meridian was limited to WalMart, GoodWill, and the Salvation Army?

That's the scary part. Nearest Goodwill/SA is in Jackson! :eek:

Spin

SNA in Meridian
I like to booze but I'd rather be in a nicer location and drive to party because eventually u gotta come home. As far as a house as opposed to an Apt. I've been looking online and the only thing I have been able to get info on is Apts. Do you have any resources that might help in locating a house??

Peace,

-Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.