• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!! :)

jcrummy717

Okay so the situation isn't bad but i'm really torn... The reason i joined the Navy in the first place was to fly and to eventually become a pilot. I am currently in DEP as a CTT and am very happy I got a good job. However I am interested about switching to AW (aircrew). I know that as a CTT can declare aircrew but I am interested in what kind of things I would be doing in each rating. I am very interested in flying and being around planes/helos... Just wondering what might be a better fit for me as far as my interests and goals. But I would greatly appreciate any help at all.

P.S. STA is my goal to become an officer. I don't know if either of these enlisted rates have any greater effect than the other.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
If you really want to be Aircrew then switch to AW. I don't know how many CT's get to fly or how hard it is to select aircrew as a CT. It might be something you can't get the NEC for until after some experience, but that is just my guess. So unless CT just really appeals to you for some reason I would switch to AW.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
I know a number of CTI's who fly. Is that something you could possibly switch to if you are still interested in the CT field and flying?

Navy_Brat_AT

Okay so the situation isn't bad but i'm really torn... The reason i joined the Navy in the first place was to fly and to eventually become a pilot. I am currently in DEP as a CTT and am very happy I got a good job. However I am interested about switching to AW (aircrew). I know that as a CTT can declare aircrew but I am interested in what kind of things I would be doing in each rating. I am very interested in flying and being around planes/helos... Just wondering what might be a better fit for me as far as my interests and goals. But I would greatly appreciate any help at all.

P.S. STA is my goal to become an officer. I don't know if either of these enlisted rates have any greater effect than the other.

As stated by jcrummy, if you want to go Aircrew (AW) go aircrew. Since you’re not officially a graduate of boot camp, you still have the option to change your rate.
There are not many CT's that fly but lets just say that AW's do it more often than not.
As an AT, I was an electrician for the planes and helos and I loved my job. I am not sure if it made an impact on my STA-21 package, but work hard and stay motivated. Good Luck!

Bevo16

pilot
Choose your rate, choose your fate.

I hear so many guys who say "I decided to do X because there is a chance I could X." even when the primary job they want to do is not devoted to X.

If you want to fly as an enlisted guy, be an AW. Otherwise, you are going to be fighting an uphill battle all the way.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Choose your rate, choose your fate.

I hear so many guys who say "I decided to do X because there is a chance I could X." even when the primary job they want to do is not devoted to X.

If you want to fly as an enlisted guy, be an AW. Otherwise, you are going to be fighting an uphill battle all the way.

Do you mean "I decided to do X because there is a chance I could later do Y?"

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!

Why not drop a package for BDCP or NROTC ?

jcrummy717

I really appriciate everyone's help. I really want to go AW but at MEPS I failed my depth percep test. I took it an my optomitrist and passed it. I told my recruiter all of this and he said I have 2 options. I can request a DAR now and get my ship date pushed back until Januaryish. When I arrive at RTC and take their depth percep test, if I fail, I lose everything and become an undesignated seaman, boatswain. This is an awful big risk even if I don't have any problems with my eyes. Or option 2 is to go ahead and ship when I am supposed to and take the test when I arrive, and when week 3 comes, and we're able to sit down with the counseler I can just switch then. I don't know if either one of these options is better or whatever, but that is where I am at right now. I was leaning towards the second option, but like I said I don't know how possible that is. Again thank you everyone for everything so far.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I don't think it is very easy to just switch during week 3. You already signed for X. I think you would be stuck with X until you get to the fleet and try to redesignate. Unless there is something I'm missing there is no reason for them to ask if you want to switch unless they find out you are not qualified for X and want to screw you with Z. Don't ship off for what might happen, get what you want now. Much less pain that way.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once you're in Boot, your fate is in the Navy's hands. If you want to change something, do it now.

If you want to be a Pilot, though, you better hope that depth-perception thing sorts itself out.

jcrummy717

As far as the depth perception though, its not that I have trouble with it, its just a big risk for me to take...going from AW or even CTT to BM if something were to go wrong when I get to bootcamp. Which is why I was leaning towards the second option, but if I don't have any other choice to get AW then I guess I'll have to take that risk...

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Things can go wrong at boot camp regardless of what you signed up for. But if you enlist for CT then that is what you will get. You need to enlist for AW if that is what you want. But do it before going to boot camp.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Don't believe the recruiters if they tell you it's no problem to switch once at boot camp. It's pretty much impossible, so like has already been said, if you want it do it now.

Navy_Brat_AT

Don't believe the recruiters if they tell you it's no problem to switch once at boot camp. It's pretty much impossible, so like has already been said, if you want it do it now.

We all say this with the upmost meaning. DONT WAIT UNTIL BOOT CAMP. YOU are in control right now, (the next time you will have control will be in 4-5 years) Decide now. If you really want to become a pilot, I suggest ROTC. I am not telling you not to join, just asking to weigh your options.