• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any general hints, lesson learned, gouge for RIs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
use the RIOT trainer at first to help you with orientation.. i.e. radial to radial, over the station and point to points. All the sims are "canned" as in you know exactly what you'll be doing... however when you get to the plane most IP's like to mix things up on you..i.e. you won't know where you're going or which approaches you're shooting until the brief and sometimes not until you're at the navaid. don't forget the stuff they teach in RI ground school.. it's fair game during briefs.. i.e. take-off mins, lost comm procedures etc. take some time on weekends to become familiar with the charts and approaches in your area. The more comfortable you are with those the less uncomfortable you will be in the plane. Use the memory aids they give you... i.e. 6T's, (time, turn, time, transition, twist, talk)..

completely different from the FAM stage but if you practice on RIOT and study the approach plates and charts it is definitely doable. Good Luck!

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
RIOT TRAINER!! Some swear by the micro sim, I thought it sucked. You should fly your entire flight for the sims on the riot, so you can see the speed at which things will happen, make sure you get your lead radials firgured and all that good stuff.

VERBALIZE everything you are going to do. If you don't a lot of the old guys will think you are lost and start asking you questions, that your brain may be too busy to answer.

Think about what you are going to say on the radio, before you make the radio call, be CONCISE (ie only the pertinent info) and professional. Ex. holding calls are PTA... IE Saufley, 28, 3000. Not "holding saufley, time is 28 and altitude is 3000."

They suck ass, even if you do rock the,, just becuase the old sim people are ruthless. Take your beating and keep pluggin, a lot of guys will work you, to see what you are made of. But they will reward you will GREAT grades.. good place to make some money as far as grades go.

Work hard, it sux, but it is only temporary

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
tie your pencil/pen/crayon to a string around your wrist/neck/kneeboard/whatever.

figure out you cockpit set-up (1 kneeboard or 2? where are you going to put the approach plate? on the clamp? on your knee?) ahead of time and get used to it. don't try to wing it in the plane (ugh NON intentional pun...)

rare21

pilot
Contributor
bch is right they suck ass. oh man do they suck ass. for gouge the most important things were covered..get a good knee board, the one you're provided sucks. Look at the big picture while you're in there, where you're going on the approach plate, direction, etc especially for point to points. You get a good big picture then you can go on from there.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Your cockpit is your 'nest'. Ask for some advice from RI completers or IPs, then decide how YOU want to set it up and practice that. It's your workspace, your desk, so set it up so it works for you.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
If you can get your IP to take the plane at any point in time during an RI while under the hood, GIVE HIM/HER THE PLANE!!!! Some IPs won't take it but if you get one who will, this gives you time to change navaids, approach plates, heading bugs, needles, you name it, without your airwork going to sh!t. The more the IP flies, the less workload you have. Also, never turn down an oportunity to have the IP fly an approach if given the chance/option, this is where you can learn a lot without being at risk of getting a below. Finally, keep and eye on the GPS, I saw that IPs loved to use it to get headings for pt-pt procedures. Hope some of this helps.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You don't state your location, but if you go through Whiting, the exact lessons are given to you. You WILL know the exact approaches and route of flight you are doing. In fact, I recommend going to the simulators and reading the lesson binders. They are there for a reason. You can get all the freqs in there and all that crap too. Use the simulators, though I don't recommend practicing if you get double-pumped, you just burn out.

zilber

pilot
By the way, can somebody recommend a good kneeboard for RI's? Could you please post a link to it online if you can find one? Thanks.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's mostly been said, but RIs are all about cockpit management. Get yourself a system for the flight and how you want things set up. Later today I'll post a kneeboard card a buddy of mine gave me that helped out in RIs here. I never used a system like it till jetland, but it became necessary at the higher speeds, so it would have definately helped in the -34.

Also, like they said... vocalize everything you are doing. Most sims are spent on hot mic, so use it. Tell them what you're thinking and what you're planning on doing. Usually, if it doesn't sound right, they'll catch it before you do it or you'll catch it.

And like BCH said, use the RIOT trainer. I flew just about every flight completely on the RIOT before the sim/plane so I could get an idea of lead radials and what not. I just ignored the gay vsi part of it.

I'll post that stuff when I get back from 'work' today.... 'round 3

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
zilber said:
By the way, can somebody recommend a good kneeboard for RI's? Could you please post a link to it online if you can find one? Thanks.

Wings 9G
the issue one is crap

Just about everyone uses the 9G one (or something very similar) here

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
Wings 9G
the issue one is crap

Just about everyone uses the 9G one (or something very similar) here

I second this recommendation. The issue kneeboard is bulky and pretty useless. The 9G is great, especially with the ability to use detachable rings to attach stuff to it. I also use a leg strap for my approach plates. It's a flexible strap that goes around your leg and part of it is transparent so you can read through it to the approach plate underneath. They're pretty useful. The NEX and Wings should have them.

RIOT trainer is good, but nothing can prepare you like actual sim time, that's why I recommend practicing. Use the RIOT trainer first to learn procedures, that's more important. Once you get comfortable, get in the sims, because you'll have a helmet fire the first time you try to descend, turn, change frequency, intercept a radial, and talk all at the same time.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
here's the kneeboard card a buddy made that helped me stay a bit more organized in RIs in advanced. maybe it will help, maybe it won't -- go with what works for you.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I also take a piece of paper and make two columns. One is for frequencies and one is for assigned altitudes. Write each freq down that you get in order that you get them, and write who they are. It could make life much easier in the event of a loss-comms or no-joy. Cross out each altitude after you get a new one, that way you won't brainfart which altitude you're going to when you have climb 20,000 feet.

SpeedyJ

SNA, Meridian
Practice, practice, practice. Go to the sim with a friend and fly the approaches at least once before you fly it with a sim instructor, two or three times is even better, but you don't want to live at the sim building. Don't let the sim instructors get you down, there are some real a-holes that just like to prove they know more than you do. Be confident in your knowledge and skills through practice and study and you will do well. RI's is a great place to build up your NSS. It is pretty easy to get a lot of aboves in the first stage, in intermediates the mins are higher so it is a little tougher, but still doable. If you have to, at first, write out all the coms and keep them on a gouge sheet so you know what you will say; one less thing to worry about while you are trying to arc to final. GOOD LUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.