• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any chance in switching communities

Status
Not open for further replies.

josejimmenez

Selected for SNFO
Hey Fellas, I just Pro Rec'd NFO. My Package went in before I could make a few "amendments". I'm thinking about reapplying for SNA. My recruiter says its possible but most <not all> guys end up being black balled. So should I go for broke?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What kind of "ammendments"? Do you think that it would be enough to make your SNA app a whole lot better? Definitely a difficult decision... I guess it comes down to whether you'd rather be a NFO or risk having a desk job. I'd stick with NFO if it were me, but you're gonna have to be the one to make the call.

Just ask yourself whether you would be happy as a NFO - if it's yes then I'd say stick with it for sure. If you won't be happy, you probably shouldn't have listed it as a choice on your app. Too late for that, so I really don't know what to tell you. It sounds like a fairly big risk to turn down a slot to OCS and just reapply with a new designator. But then again, if you'll live the rest of your life wishing you were NA instead, it's probably worth the risk.

solenita72

SWO Wife
My husband desperately wanted to change his designator before reporting to OCS. His recruiting station told him that it was not a possibility. When he got to OCS, they told him down there, that it WAS possible to change before reporting,as long as his recuiting station had done it before reporting. That there had been some people that had done it before. I would look into it and push it as far as you dare. We have learned the hard way the hindsight is 20-20. I can't tell you how many times we have gotten repeated conflicting information!! I wouldn't turn down the one slot and reapply, but I would sure look into just a change of designator. My husband was BDCP, too. Good luck!

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I was in BDCP NFO first and switched to BDCP SNA. There is some paperwork involved, but its not a big deal. I also dont think that they would pull you from NFO if you dont get picked up for SNA. What ever decision you make, just be happy with yourself. For me, it was question on wheter I could be happy with myself if I didn't try to change to SNA. I didn't want to wonder if I could have been a Naval Aviator. I'm glad I persued my dreams.

Dave

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As the others have pointed out, there is a difference between accepting NFO and trying to redesignate versus turning down NFO and sending in another entire application. I'd look into the redesignation option - that way you don't risk losing your NFO spot if they don't take you for NA. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
If a Marine stay ... Go ahead with OCS, especially if you are PLC. Worst that can happen is you end up as a ground officer but you'll still be an officer if Marines. We had guys switch over at TBS from FO to 7599's. It can be done at TBS just another option for you to consider because I hear they are getting full in the pipelines. Navy ensigns are getting attrited and sent home. Ringknockers or OCS doesn't matter! If you are joining the Navy and want jets drop contract now and apply with the Marine Corps better chance for tac air. Kill many birds with one stone on that one.

josejimmenez

Selected for SNFO
I could be getting bad gouge but I hear a lot of guys in the MC are getting dropped from Air contracts due to high frequency hearing loss and stuff...

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
You're getting bad gouge. Clean your ears with one of those kits a few times and wear earplugs for two days before your test. Also don't listen to the radio and drive with your windows rolled up for those two days. You will pass the test. If not, I know plenty of people that had ear problems worse then mine and one is in Corpus after a three month wait at NAS Pensacola for a waiver. The other is waiting at TBS but it's his weight holding him there not his ears anymore. My advise, worry more about your weight than your hearing if you want to be a Marine. Who cares if you can't get an air contract, there is no substitute for being a Marine. You can fly civil air on libo if you have the bug that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.