• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any BDCPers out there with an Intel slot?

pmasters

Yeah but he's an ass. (j/k bud). Intel spots are REALLY tough to pick up, especially BDCP. Ask your recruiter for the results on how many were picked up in the last FY, he/she has easy access to the fleet-wide results. Almost all are lateral transfers or other non-BDCP/OCS commission types. Again, not to steal occamsrazor's thunder, but you better have an exceptionally good package and/or speak a cat-4 language. I for one tried and failed on the intel spot.

OccamsRazor

Final Select BDCP Intel
That's me...

If you want stats...I think they're posted in the October thread, but to save you the trouble:

Junior at Columbia University
Major: Political Science/History Double
GPA: Cumulative 3.78
ASTB/OAR: 6/6/6 55
Extracurriculars: Senior Editor of the Political Review, Treasurer of a debate society (Philolexian), startup company doing online matchmaking for video games.
Work Experience: 3 Years in IT doing network support and troubleshooting for the most part.
LORs: Professor (Philosophy class), bosses from 2 IT jobs
Interview: Intelligence O-5 stationed here in NYC

I also speak decent Spanish, for what it's worth, and had a pretty kickass motivational statement. I have no idea what the "standards" are - if there are any - but I would think a decent-high GPA in a field related to intelligence probably is a benchmark. If you have any specific questions I can answer I'd be happy to do so.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I don't get it? The Navy needs Intel officers.

Is it that the Navy has X Intel slots and they cherry-pick Y candidates from each of the commissioning programs?

pmasters

Man I even beat you on the ASTB and you still stole my intel spot! Must've been the lackluster GPA and lack of entrepreneurial spirit. And I only beat you by one point (6/6/6 56).

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Is it that the Navy has X Intel slots and they cherry-pick Y candidates from each of the commissioning programs?
That is exactly it, but what exacerbates the problem is that, especially in DC, a very large pool of qualified people for the field.

egolnick

Stupid question, but isn't it easier say if you were selected SWO, go to SWO school, wait a couple of years get your SWO pin and than transfer into something like Intel? I was told that one would have to decline your BDCP SWO and re-apply for BDCP Intel but there are no 100%s.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Intel is a cruel mistress... I had a pretty comparable package to Occams, had almost a dozen LORs (half of which were senior officers and someone with stars) *and* I speak fluent Turkish and passing Russian and still was a non-select.

I think maybe like 3 people got picked up last FY and if I remember correctly from what my recruiter said 2 were priors.

*shrugs*

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...what exacerbates the problem is that, especially in DC, a very large pool of qualified people for the field.

I am so glad that I no longer live in D.C., especially when I submitted my DCO package. I feel bad for the DCO applicants in the D.C. area, for the reason you stated above.

Gills

Intel is a cruel mistress... I had a pretty comparable package to Occams, had almost a dozen LORs (half of which were senior officers and someone with stars) *and* I speak fluent Turkish and passing Russian and still was a non-select.

I think maybe like 3 people got picked up last FY and if I remember correctly from what my recruiter said 2 were priors.

*shrugs*

No, no. m0tbaillie wasn't selected because the board saw his "all clear!" thread.:D (and he's a Spartan:eek:)