• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

any advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navy224me

I will be taking the ASTB for the first time in Sept. and wondered if I could get a little help. I've studied the ARCO book and Gouge like everyone else and do not expect to find exact questions on the test. I just want to know if there are any concepts on the new version that are not in the study guides. I've read there are more helicopter parts/function questions on this test. If anyone knows of a good website to study from that would be great. Is it also true that the Math/Verbal section is now 2 completly different sections and the verbal is only paragraph comprehension? Any advice would be lovely. Thanks.

Cdyboy

Here's how the test is laid out:

1. Math
2. Reading Comp.
3. Mechanical Comp.
4. Spacial Apperception
5. Aviation/Nautical
6. Aviation Supplemental - A good mixture of all the tests except SA.

Math is just Algebra(30ish questions-30mins). You should practice & study the Reading Comp. section in the FQOT (Air Force Test) in the Arco book for the reading part, if you can do that you'll easily do the ASTB part because the paragh. are shorter(30ish questions 27mins). Mech. part is similar to the arco book, but with no real computation, you need to come to the answer logically based on you knowledge of physics(30 questions-15mins). Spacial Apperception on the real thing is going to look different then the one in the Arco book so make sure you do/try the sample ones before the test to get orientated(25 questions-15mins). Finally the Aviation Supplement is just a combination of Math, Reading Comp., Aviation/Nautical, all compacted in one section(34ish questions-25mins). Don't remember having any Helo questions.

Just stay calm and don't fill in the wrong bubbles!!!

navyjeff94

Final Select for Supply - 23 Apr 05 class
I just took the test on August 30th. I'm still waiting for my results. I only took the first three sections. Cdyboy is correct about the layout of the test. I wish the results didn't take so long.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
With the old ASTB, results used to take ten minutes! (Or at least they did when I took it... back when you had to walk uphill, both ways, in the snow, without shoes just to get to the testing center). Hopefully when the grading gets smoother on the new one, they'll speed up the results some.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cdyboy said:
Just stay calm and don't fill in the wrong bubbles!!!

I thought the new tests were on a computer... did I get misinformed? I haven't really been keeping up anymore since I took the test so long ago.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
It took close to a month before mine came in. I got worried because I thought something got screwed up!!

Seriously though, the verbal section isn't too tough. I thought it would be a lot harder. The paragraphs are incredibly short.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
ben said:
I thought the new tests were on a computer... did I get misinformed? I haven't really been keeping up anymore since I took the test so long ago.

I believe that all the new ones are on the computer now. I took mine in the short window when the new tests came out, but before they were all on computers. I think you still get the option to take them on paper if you really need to.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Many NRDs are still paper only. Navy wide computer testing is still several months out. The big goal is to do it on line so you do rapid results like the old days when we graded them locally.

navyjeff94

Final Select for Supply - 23 Apr 05 class
I was given a paper exam with bubbles to fill in. After completion, my recruiter placed it into an envelope and mailed it to Pensacola for grading. Math was never my strongest subject so I am fretting over what the results are going to be. The reading comp section seemed easy enough and I tried to use common sense on the mechanical reasoning section.

FlyinHigh

can definitely expect to wait longer considering pensacola just got devastated by that storm, im in the same boat navyjeff im awaiting my scores and my OSO said he has no idea when they are going to get them since it is chaos down there, best of luck to you though

Navy224me

Well I took the test over here in Spain on Monday, and the testing center here still has the old forms. I had been studying this whole time to take it the other way, with math on one section and verbal on another. Unfortunatly, in the middle of doing math, I have to read a paragraph. I know I am suppossed to use both sides of my brain for that stuff, but it sucked having to turn around and do something else. I was told I should get my results in about a month, maybe longer since Ivan hit. Thanks for the responses, I'll let you know, maybe. I don't really know how I did. I guess we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.