• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anthropomorphic issue for fitting in a naval strike fighter jet

shutout39

pilot
I would also add two tips from my salty 12 months in: Get a package going for Marines too - they'll get you a flight physical and anthro measurments as part of your package. It also increases your chances of getting picked up by a service (even tho Marine Corps is backed up at the moment). If you dont fit your first or second time around, they (the Navy at least) will keep measuring you or you can try for a waiver. Second, make sure you're OK with not flying jets if its not in the cards. I've now seen 3 guys DOR after getting anthro'd out of jets and it really bugs me that they took a flight spot away from someone else.

MasterBates

Funny thing was, I was out of Anthros for the 60B.. And nobody gave a shit.. I guess the only things I was "supposed" to fly were TACAMO, P3, and Tomcats.

So of course, I flew "none of the above" save a backseat ride in a Tomcat once.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I'm 64 1/2" and fit into everything except F-14Ds, and E-2/C-2 (which they were happy to waive) based on height. Not sure about the Tomcat, but the E-2/C-2 was based on being able to reach an escape hatch in the back. They waived it based on the decision that a pilot shouldn't have to operate it. (Not sure how that would have worked out in a real emergency, but never got that far). Other people my height were anthro'd out of various platforms due to arm length and leg length- so your height isn't the only issue.

The weight I'm told is more of an issue than when I went through flight school in '02-'04... As mentioned above, all I had to do was sign a waiver for ejection seats (I think I was ~125 at the time, min was 136), but they are not waiving that in flight school as easily these days.

MasterBates

The ACO ditching hatch in the back isn't that high up there.. The pilot ditching hatches are relatively close, I hit my head on them all the time.

Where I can see a problem with a hobbit pilot in the hummer, is that if you have the seat up high enough that you can see, you may have a hard time pulling the bailout hatch release handle. Of course, my ogrish ass can open both ditching hatches and the bailout hatch from either seat.

Mobius007

Hi, everyone. Sorry I'm late in posting reply to this thread I created here. I was busy with college exam.
Back to the topic : I guess the few things I have to do now is to keep gaining height and weight, right ?
And looks like I still have to gain about at least *gulp* 2 o r 3 more inches and 30 more pounds.
Anyway, thanks for your answers. Those are very helpful. I can designate a target of the height and weight I should achieve.

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
I suggest you fly something with rotors/prop-rotors on it. Jet guys blow up the great barrier reef, which is totally not groovy and will definitely not get you laid in Sydney.

red_ryder

None
I would also add two tips from my salty 12 months in: Get a package going for Marines too - they'll get you a flight physical and anthro measurments as part of your package. It also increases your chances of getting picked up by a service (even tho Marine Corps is backed up at the moment). If you dont fit your first or second time around, they (the Navy at least) will keep measuring you or you can try for a waiver. Second, make sure you're OK with not flying jets if its not in the cards. I've now seen 3 guys DOR after getting anthro'd out of jets and it really bugs me that they took a flight spot away from someone else.
Are you serious? Who says, "I'll apply for Marines too, and if I don't get Navy at least I'll be somewhere..." SO not the same...

When I was applying, the recruiter told me to apply for sub nuke, because at least it's *something*. Bottom line, don't apply for anything you wouldn't want to do.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Are you serious? Who says, "I'll apply for Marines too, and if I don't get Navy at least I'll be somewhere..." SO not the same...

When I was applying, the recruiter told me to apply for sub nuke, because at least it's *something*. Bottom line, don't apply for anything you wouldn't want to do.

shutout39

pilot

I think you mistook me Sir. I never implied he/she would be "settling" for the Marines. For me (and I assume many people on here), serving in the military is more important than one service over the other. I think each branch has an important mission and at the end of the day, flying to support that mission is pretty frickin' sweet. I applied to the Coast Guard, Navy, and was getting my package going for the Marines, too. CG shot me down, Navy picked me up and I've loved every day since.

There is nothing wrong with having more options and I don't remember this particular member saying he/she only wanted to go Navy, just about fitting in a "Naval Strike Fighter" - the Marine Corps has those, too. They also measure their applicants during the application process, so if this person was DQ for jets right away, he/she could save everyone a lot of time and money. I've seen 3 kids now DOR after being DQ'd for jets. It sucks to see the spots go to waste especially if they could have been flagged before they even got going.

Too_Tall34

Have the height limits have changed at all in recent years? The last document I've seen was from 2009 and it said the maximum height (stature) is 76" for pilot and 78" for NFO. Currently I'm 79" tall without shoes and 80" with shoes. I was wondering if this eliminates me from flying certain platforms for the Navy or eliminates me from flying in the Navy altogether.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have the height limits have changed at all in recent years? The last document I've seen was from 2009 and it said the maximum height (stature) is 76" for pilot and 78" for NFO. Currently I'm 79" tall without shoes and 80" with shoes. I was wondering if this eliminates me from flying certain platforms for the Navy or eliminates me from flying in the Navy altogether.
The guiding instruction (OPNAVINST 3710.37a, dated Feb 2006) is the most recent version. NOMI/NAMI are guided by multiple instructions when dealing with aviation standards. It appears that your height is not waiverable.