• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anthro Measurements and Waivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaihulud

Im currently a Senior at USNA, was looking forward to selecting marine air as my grades are awesome and I got a 9, 8, 6, on the ASTB. However, I just found out today that my torso height is too great for jets or helos (i cant fly in the T-45 or T-57). However, I have heard of stories of signing waivers to go to the jet pipeline if you exceed anthro standards. Is this true, and if so, when in the aviation pipeline does this occur. Also, will this severely hurt my chances of getting jets even if I can sign the waiver, or will they still look at my grades first? I am interested in marine aviation first, would they even take me if I can only go props? Im trying to figure out whether I should just cut my losses and go NFO or try to pursue flying. Any insights would be greatly appreciated

jaerose

In addition to those tricks...do some heavy squats (don't hurt yourself) and it might temporarily compress your spine a bit.

If you don't fit the ejection seat standards, wouldn't you be worried in case of an ejection? I don't want to get my head cut off by punching out.

JR

benny2299

Something similar happened to me a few years ago, but my problem was being on the short end of things. If they have you sign a waiver it means that you're eligible to fly that platform. The only thing the ejection seat waiver does is if you're out of standards and have to eject then get injured because of the ejection, you can't sue the Navy for your injuries. I don't know if the Corps would have a problem with you being only eligible for C-130's, but they are the most competitive platform for those guys so I'd say it would be a good deal for you. The Navy does allow SNA's to go through single pipeline but the only stipulation is that you have to have the required grades (just passing for props, but a 50 NSS or higher for jets) Just don't fail primary and you'll get props, sure takes away some of the pressure. The API flight surgeon is LCDR Delorey, unless he has moved on already. He was a big help to me so I would recommend talking to him. Maybe someone on the board can post his e-mail address or phone number. He deals with both Navy and USMC students.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Pursue flying if that's what you really want. Don't worry too much about what your pre-comm measurements were. The flight surgeons at NOMI are well aware of the fact that the guys doing the measurements at hospital point don't know what they're doing. (I'm class of '02) Initially they said I was disqualified from flying at all. At API they DQ'd me from E-2/C-2, Prowlers, and a few random variants of other things. (My anthros are all over the place- some too long, some too short) Selection time came for Primary, I wanted E-2/C-2, the Navy wanted E-2/C-2 pilots so the flight surgeons at Corpus called LCDR Delorey (still there are of March) and he said OK. SO here I am in Kingsville. Nothing is ever really final. Your USNA selection board, as long as you are medically and ASTB qualified for Marine Air shouldn't depend at all on you being restricted from anything right now. Once you get to API, if the measurements restrict you, then ask for a fit check at least in the 57. (When I was there it took a while to get one) I heard they might stop those, if so, wait until you get to primary and then try to press the issue with the flight docs. Good Luck. IM me if you have any other questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.