• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another new set of Hookers inbound

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
About 110-120 iirc. With enough wind, it would be around 100. We also had to worry about breaking tow links with the hummer, so you had to be careful.
Funny. I thought they used a similar one to us, and I'd never heard of that happening. Not that it couldn't, just that I hadn't heard of it. And we certainly don't do the asymmetric thing very often.

One thing I do notice, being in an aircraft that uses the old-style holdback, is a distinct pause in the cat stroke. Maybe "pause" is the wrong word, but I feel like I can definitely feel the split-second between the holdback metal stretching and finally failing.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another great plus for EMALS, is that much more of the ships fresh water distilling/storage will be available for crew comfort (drinking/cooking/showers/laundry & A/C fresh water douche). Steam cats had #1 pri for fresh water and used massive amounts during heavy FltOps. Should greatly reduce the need for the dreaded "water hours", & saltwater showers,:( Ugh!
BzB
I'll believe that when I take my first boat shower that doesn't feel like what I imagine getting peed on must feel like . . .

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's the Hummer setting? It's lighter than the SupaBug, and needs a lower end speed, but has less "self help" down the track.
By "self help" I'm assuming you mean the ability to jettison external stores after a single engle off the cat? Well, that and blower on the working engine.

-ea6bfly

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Funny. I thought they used a similar one to us, and I'd never heard of that happening. Not that it couldn't, just that I hadn't heard of it. And we certainly don't do the asymmetric thing very often.

One thing I do notice, being in an aircraft that uses the old-style holdback, is a distinct pause in the cat stroke. Maybe "pause" is the wrong word, but I feel like I can definitely feel the split-second between the holdback metal stretching and finally failing.
Yeah I don't know what the deal was. Never had to worry about the prowler, although it presents its own set of special challenges with the location of intakes and nozzles plus its propensity for blowing people over.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah I don't know what the deal was. Never had to worry about the prowler, although it presents its own set of special challenges with the location of intakes and nozzles plus its propensity for blowing people over.
No kidding with the nozzles. I shadowed one of my framers doing final checks on COMPTUEX once. Holy crap. Jet turns away from me, take a knee and turn my back, and get my back roasted by jet exhaust. Holding onto a padeye for dear life as our jet got shot . . . glad my goggles were attached to my cranial, or they'd have ended up somewhere around frame 180. Also once had one of my AMEs yoink an errant helo kid back from an intake before the Prowler could eat him. She's like 5 foot 3, to boot.

Takes a special type to work that deck all day.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
It was real nasty for the Hornet guys. WX was an ass pain the whole trip.

We got a frantic call from HST AIr Ops asking if Jax can pick up the divert responsibility 4 days early. Big Time on HST said 60 kt winds and 30 ft seas!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
AirOps on HST was a helo guy that was a DH in my first squadron. Air Boss was a VAW guy though.