• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another Medical Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

confused_pilot

Ok, I am a 3/c Mid in NROTC and I had previously thought that I had torn my rotator cuff, but it turns out I have a SLAP tear of my bicep tendon. Long and short of it is that I need day surgury, and 6 months of rehab. After that it will be just like new, minus the scaring and perminant anchors into my bone to hold the tendon. My question is will this DQ me from being an aviator? I tried calling NOMI and they won't talk to me. My aviation LT keeps telling me that it will not affect anything, but the guy has to have a loose screw and I am almost sure he is not even checking with NOMI as to what affect this might have. Is anyone familiar with something like this?
Tony

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
you are going to get a million different people's "opinions" here with no way to tell who is right or wrong. Explain to your LT that you would really like to hear it from the horse's mouth and ask if he would be knid enough to call NOMI for you. The worst he can say is no, but I doubt he will. I did the same thing when I was worried about my eyes, I was told both yes and no by many people on our staff. LT called NOMI got the right answer in 2 mins.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Below is information I sent to another member with a similar question. Good luck and always remember the magic waiver!

Penguin

"The bottom line is NAMI (Navy Aerospace Medicine Institute) wants to make sure the retained hardware isn't covering up an underlying condition, i.e., would you be OK without the screws, etc. Do a search and go to the NAMI website (or try the link I put in below). You will find a link to the Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide. Click this link and look for the section about orthopedics. The first topic when you click this link is retained hardware. You will notice it says NCD assuming a few criteria are met. NCD = Not Considered Disqualifying. As long as you have no pain or limited mobility, and the problem which required the plate is resolved, you'll be fine. A word to the wise, start asking the surgeon who put it in for any documentation he has. My surgeon happened to be a former Army Doc so he wrote me a letter stating I had full range of motion, etc. As the NAMI website says, you may not even need a waiver. Read up and good luck.

LTJG Garrison"

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Text/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/orthopedics.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.