• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another faker caught...

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
This one pisses me off because I actually heard him speak. In the article it mentions "at Sunset High School in 2006"...yeah, I was there visiting some of my old teachers that day (on winter break from college). Heard that was happening and went to check it out.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/87413287.html

Sorry it's not Navy or aviation related, but it is something to get angry about, which is almost as much fun. :)

There's an audio file on the article page that has the speech I heard. People who know more than I (or were there maybe?) could probably easily point out things that are wrong.

EM1

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit
I'm just glad there's stuff they can do about it now. Sorry to hear you had to listen to him too. That's some bullshit.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So Sad! This has been happening a lot lately!

I don't think it is happening any more than it used too, it is just better publicized. One can go back in history and find it replete with examples of this, a particularly notable period in this country was after the Civil War with a lot of people claiming to have served and fought bravely on both sides when they did not. Here is a good example. The fortunate thing is that today we can fact check these claims very easily.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Wow lying in front a bunch of school kids; must be really proud of himself. Also, just by listening to his story, bits and pieces simply don't add up as you can tell he's bullshiting big time.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
I'm just wondering how some of the organizations mentioned (Like the Ranger assoc) didn't catch on to this guys bullshit sooner. Not only lying to the kids, but spitting in the face of veterans by boldly lying to their face.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
There was a brief segment on "Talk of the Nation" on this subject. They had callers discussing "Stolen Valor offensive, But is it criminal?".

One of the NPR shows, Talk of the Nation I think it was, did a longer segment on the same subject. Both sides made plenty of sense.

The guy that was against the Stolen Valor Act being constitutional made the argument that purporting to be someone you're not isn't necessarily illegal if no other law was broken. He wasn't saying that it wasn't morally despicable and that these individuals shouldn't suffer social consequences he was making the point that "only" posing as someone you aren't isn't really a crime. Is lying about being a veteran any different than lying about being a doctor, fireman, or congressman? If no other law is broken, I don't think it is. Where most of those actions become illegal is when another law is broken. Fraud (noun-
deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage) is probably the easiest to prove and should probably suffice.

The opposing view on the show, and probably the nationally prevailing one, is that the Stolen Valor Act is fine as is. I can see how that is also. There's something extremely repugnant about the type of individual who does something like this. It's so repugnant that I can see why people would want to exact the type of punishment the Stolen Valor Act can impose: prison, fines, probation, etc.

All that said, I think the level of "crime" doesn't warrant government time or attention. It does make me wish we could bring tar and feathering back or run someone out of the country on a rail (look up how that's actually done, it's not just a phrase). What I hope would (and does) happen is that these people are so socially stigmatized that it haunts them the rest of their miserable lives lived on the outskirts of society.

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
But I don't believe the Act deals with those individuals who solely lie about being a veteran; I believe that the Act deals with those individuals who lie about receiving medals and decorations for heroic acts. An individual who poses as a doctor or a fireman is one thing, but a fraud who poses as a surgeon performing a heart transplant or a fireman as he enters a home on fire is another. In most cases, these individuals reap a financial or societal benefit by perpetuating their lie. We don't really read about the common joe who makes up stories to impress their friends; we hear about the men who travel to conferences regaling audiences on how they killed 15 Japanese with nothing but a toothpick and a moustache.

I have known of women who sought to have cosmetic surgery and they walked into the doctor's office where they were impressed by the many diplomas on his wall. Of course, anyone with time, creativity, and a printer can make up a diploma or two. Unfortunately for them, the doctor had either lost their license or had been trained in dentistry. As a result of their belief in these individuals with their walls of decorations, they have lost money, time, and in some cases, gained irreparable harm to their apperances. Although the tangible harm is visibly seen on the faces of these women, the harm to the medical profession and the people's trust in it, can be seen across many.

When I think of these false heroes, I think about the young children who experience much of their history through standardized lessons in history books and the personal accounts of those who have lived through it. Our society succeeds when we are able to trust in the basic foundation of our historical record. These false accounts undermine that trust. And I like to think, that is why we seek to criminalize this behavior.

navymic

pilot
Impersonating a police officer is a crime.

Saying you are a doctor is not a crime. Otherwise Dr J would have been thrown in the clink a long time ago. Same with Dr Pepper. But acting upon it, ie practicing medicine without a license, is a serious crime.

Doctors are one of the "professions." Guys who take an official, legal oath to the state. Just like we do in the miltary to the nation. (Lawyers and politicians take oaths as well). This oath allows the governing bodies to apply standards that can not be applied to other citizens.

A poor business man will just lose money, a poor doctor could face charges. A business man who gets a DUI will face the normal charges. A lawyer who gets a DUI will also face disbarment.

The varying levels of accountability are a what seperate a cop from an security guard, a lawyer from a reporter, and a Chief Petty Officer from a district manager.

It should be against the law. We can maybe argue about how tough the penaly is.

Arctic_Frog

I have to throw my two cents in here. I've had my fill of posers and to impersonate being a doctor, pilot, police officer, etc. is not only a slap in the face to the people who listen to the impostor, but also to the profession he impersonates. There have been cases of real harm done, not surgically as mentioned above, but emotional trauma. If I may direct your attention to the following link:
http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=86988
The man in question not only poses as a SEAL, but then also is a preacher. What type of influence does he have? What kind of damage could incur?
Backing up to the main directory, go ahead and peruse the never ending list of poser SEAL's. Some go so far as to pick up stars at the uniform shop. (http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=93685)

What kind of damage can be done with that?

These people should be met with severe punishment.

H60Gunner

Contributor
What kind of damage can be done with that?

Sometimes a lot, sometimes none.

Shitbag civillian poses as a Hairy ass Frogman in a bar to pick up a chick, not so much damage. Still wrong, but who is the loser?

Goober ass dirtbag poses as a SEAL to obtain a position in a company. Way wrong.

These people should be met with severe punishment.

Yup. Stolen Valor Act of 2005 is a step in the right direction. Not harsh enough in my opinion.